Southern Research Institute

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Arthur J. Tipton, Ph.D.

It was different.

Operator (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsPay was good, some co-workers were good

ConsLong hours- no career development, no benefits

Advice to Senior Managementgive temps more opportunity to become permanent

Leadership arrogance and greed dominates over commitment to good science

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood record of past achievements, collaborative atmosphere and potential for getting things done.

ConsThe need to be a yes-man and secure your own funding to keep your job. A growing reputation for sudden layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't see the organization as your private castle and respect your investigators.

Continued improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsUpdating facilities across all locations. Investing in new leadership rather than continuing to rely on past personnel. Increased collaboration with external organizations continues to improve market position.

ConsMany 'long-time' employees do not like necessary changes in organizational culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to invest in new ideas, facilities and personnel. The best years of Southern Research are still to come.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization!

Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsDoing amazing science and research to truley help make the world a better place.
    New leadership
    Developing new positive culture- innovative and collabrative
    Proffesional Development
    Diverse
    Fun place to work

ConsOlder buildings, but they are renovating some. Needs a gym or recreation center at all campuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep using key leadership principles and putting people first.

poor work ethics and safety

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay learning place to start entry level

Conseverything else management culture safety

Non-profit with for-profit management

ProsHighly qualified and motivated staff sharing the dream to develop cures for many devastating disorders. Staff is supporting and has been wanting a change for the better for years. They are in desperate need of equally qualified leaders to make them successful.

ConsLeadership announces to create a better and positive corporate culture on the same day of several unannounced layoffs. Leadership promises no more layoffs and keeps firing people afterwards. Employees are scared to get fired by neurotic managers for speaking their minds. True and dedicated leaders are lacking!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say, and say what you do! Management should not think they can act behind closed curtains, the word is spreading like a wildfire. Do not let your human capital pay the prize for incapable management. Remember, it is a non-profit dedicated to find the cures for diseases, not for managers to get rich for patenting these cures!

Growing potential

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsRecent management changes resulting in new opportunities and clearing of dead wood. Very diverse organization (cancer research, drug discovery, drug development, NASA, DoD, Environmental).

ConsRight-sizing is always painful after years of stagnation. Recent layoffs have resulted in some resentment from unproductive personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue "modernization" efforts and continue investing in the right people. A long tenure does not ensure productivity.

In a downward spiral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCash in bank, some good science

ConsTerrible management. Career development non-existent

Confused about identity, mission and vision

ProsBenefits
    Impressive history from decades past.
    There are still some interesting scientists and engineers there trying to do good work.

ConsNumerous senior level management changes.
    Administrative staff must fight for survival. Technical staff not much better off.
    Very little funding for new growth initiatives.
    Management and strategic planning is more reactive than proactive.
    Slow to pull the trigger on jettisoning unprofitable research businesses.
    Schizophrenic corporate identity, no vision, mission is unsure.
    Internal politics are often ugly.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of existing business problems before running off in new directions.
    Listen to lower ranking employees who often have more strategic, outside business experience than the role they're pigeon-holed into there allows.
    Let people do their jobs and give them the tools they need to do them.
    Be honest and fair.

What a shame

Manager (Former Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsFolks doing the work are great. The technical staff are excellent and get the job done even when leadership throws obstacle after obstacle in their way.

ConsComplete lack of business, management, and scientific knowledge in senior leadership. Very secretive leadership. Layoffs of critical staff because leadership fear the staff knows more than they do.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to hide information. Clients are better informed about the happenings of Southern than the employees are. Shame on you.

Worked for Southern Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!