Southern States Reviews

2.3
Thomas R. Scribner

1. Cooperate Office needs new leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general, most of the people I worked with were very pleasant and friendly. With a few exceptions, everyone cared about the quality of the work they were doing. Those who were known for slacking were laid off in 2012. Work life balance is great (8-4:30 with an hour lunch). Cooperate office has a cafeteria on site.

Cons

Middle level management has been there forever. There were no fresh and new ideas coming in. Felt like patching holes. Outdated processes and procedures. Same raise every year for each employee done by percentage.

Advice to Management

Best way to motivate people is money. A 2% raise is not going to keep talented people around. Make room for the younger generation to shine and take leadership. Look into updating your technology.

2. Southern States Marketing Intern

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States

Pros

Awesome company to work for they are very flexible and understanding. Great team members to work with.

Cons

Older company so the atmosphere is a bit dry and boring.

Company lacks direction, does not live up to mission statement and values.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company attracts quality individuals at the store level.

Cons

Lack of consistent direction and leadership from corporate management. Company lacks focus and is increasingly relying on underperforming management imported from outside the company for direction. Company culture is in constant flux and no longer reflects the noble values of the mission statement. Southern States can still rely on it's employees but they can no longer rely on Southern States. Very likely the company will soon begin shrinking back to it's wholesale/milling core even as it amateurishly pursues retail expansion and continues driving away talent.

Advice to Management

Refocus company on the values that made Southern States successful - create a consistent company culture. Reform hiring practices as imported management has damaged company culture almost beyond repair.

5. Second Accounting Intern

Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Richmond, VA
    Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were down to earth and very welcoming.

Cons

I had nothing to do and got paid $13/hour as an accounting intern. The program was new and there was not much structure.

Advice to Management

To keep interns, please give them work to do.

Working in the Stone Ages

I worked at Southern States full-time

Pros

There's a lot of down time to hang out with your coworkers and watch the clock.

Cons

This company essentially operates the same way it did when it was established in the 1920's. Most employees have worked at the company for over 20 years and have no motivation to see the company grow and prosper. A majority of the employees pretty much grew up on farms don't know to use a computer/read/write, etc.

Horrible, Horrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

No consideration for work/life balance in buying group--expected to work early, late and weekends with no mention of comp time to salaried employees, but if you take 2 hours to go to the doctor, you must use PTO to get paid. Below average salaries, no bonus opportunities, mediocre benefits.

Advice to Management

You've cleaned house in the Farm & Home management, but you need to clean some more.

8. Thoroughly enjoyed working there.

Former Contractor - Graphic Designer, Art Director, Special Projects Coordinator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Southern States as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

I like the philosophy of the company...it's a farmer's cooperative. I worked with many creative people who were team players. I was also given several opportunities to expand and grow with the business, as I worked in a few different positions while there.

Cons

While I was there they purchased other businesses and I think got in over their head. They then started selling them off and downsizing. I was let go as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Overall an Okay company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Southern States

Pros

It is a solid company. They have ethics. There is good job security. They have a descent benefits package. The people are nice

Cons

No growth or development. You will not be promoted. There is no company culture. The company does not have even a company picnic. (There is one by the employee association, but you have be a member)

Advice to Management

Make decisions and lead. You are too scared to do something wrong so instead you do nothing.

RSS Feed </> Embed