Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Southern Wine & Spirits Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin

Harvey R. Chaplin

Pros:
  • "High paying jobs/opportunity for advancement/recession resistant industry"
    in 4 reviews
  • "great pay and benefits for where i live in south carolina"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management clearly does not care about those working at the entry level"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Very little compensation for wear and tear on personal vehicles, which are used in daily work"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Chain Territory Manager

Chain Territory Manager (Current Employee)
Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than a year

ProsEntry level position, good experience, exposure to industry, growing company, reputable within industry

ConsSalary, utilizing personal vehicle, very early and long work hours, holidays were so busy it was hard to enjoy them

We can't teach personality ! Certainly not a boys club

Key Account Manager (Current Employee)
Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat pay and excellent people .

ConsThe hours are sometimes crazy

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people. Make more divisions

It's enough to keep me for now, because it pays the bills, but nothing beyond that.

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time

ProsThe people are awesome! Good comradery!

ConsVery little room for advancement. Not much advice is taken from the lower ranks. Compensation is much lower than comparable positions with other firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more incentives for good performance. Right now there is no reason to be a leader, or to take initiative.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room to Grow

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits for more than 5 years

ProsGreat experience, lot of opportunities to grow and expand business. Many locations around the United states offer great benefits. Be prepared to work extremely hard with no pat on the back. Extremely heavy on corporate culture and good ol' boy mentality.

ConsWhile you do receive paid vacation, half the time it's blacked out, and you will be scorned for taking vacations, even though you've earned it and need time off. If you allow yourself to work 23 hours a day, it's not enough for this company.

It's like selling on a roller coaster while someone repeatedly punches you in the face

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExcellent Proprietary Sales Software. Easily the best in the industry. Terrific portfolio filled with brands that sell through.

ConsBrutal hours with zero work life balance; insane quota levels with qualifiers changing every other month; pointless boiler room sessions to intimidate reps; way too many superfluous meetings; complete disconnect between warehouse, office, and sales management -- it's like they're in 3 separate companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should be apparent by the massive turnover rate that you're burning out reps right and left.

Outside Sales Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time

Prosgood work-life balance, good incentive opportunities, decent base salary + commissions

ConsNot much support from management, no compensation for high personal expenses (gas, mileage, cell phone, etc.), unrealistic goals, weak upper management.

Good starting point job

Chain Territory Manager (Former Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for less than a year

ProsLearn some sales experience-although at the lower levels it is all about buying off store managers/liquor clerks. Good bonus potential depending on your territory and division.

Consdriving driving driving-all day you drive and are barely compensated enough for it. The hours suck-you start most days before 4:30am in the field (although you do end at 2pm which is kinda nice). As a territory rep you basically have to hope your manager supplier pays off the store managers to get your product in there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo issued with management-more so with the company as a whole. They do not seem to care about the "little guys." And you are definitely replaceable. But with said you can do well when you are promoted!

Fast, challenging, rewarding career

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
New York, NY

ProsGreat book to sell
Six figure incomes

ConsPressure and stressful
Lots of fire drills

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement pushes the envelope onto employees because of the pressure from suppliers

Sounds better than it actually is

Chain Territory Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for less than a year

ProsFun meeting, usually with food. Big party once a year with LOTS of food.
You are off at 230pm usually.

ConsYou start at 6am or earlier.
Constantly followed and monitored by bosses.
They sneak around and follow you. Then when your GPS tracking doesn't show what they think it should they call you in for a "meeting" and make you explain what was happening. Example, I had my bag with the GPS tracker at the back of a store. They were cleaning and asked me to move my bag. So, I brought it to the front of the store and left it there while I worked with the account. My boss called me and said that by moving my GPS it looked like I left the store and was in the parking lot. The GPS is not that accurate.
Oh and it does not pay very much and the "car allowance" is a joke.
Mostly, your actual job is to get permission from the store to set up "dummy" displays and take pictures of them to send to management. Basically just a bunch of empty boxes from other stores stacked up to look like there is a ton of alcohol in the store. This is VERY encouraged by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. It is bad for morale to see you spying on us and it makes us feel like you are just waiting for us to make a mistake. It is very nerve wracking.

Beware the reaper.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 5 years

ProsExposure to suppliers and careers with them. Trying to provide sales training but when you're constantly asked to make un-achievable goals that defy logic,,,,,,,, well there's no sales training for that.

ConsNo sales expenses of any kind. 7 day "workweek". "Just make the numbers" period mentality. Terrible low and middle management. Senior management does not walk the talk. Senior management culture seems to thrive on very expensive suits and imported cars. Take a look at the reserved parking spots and the +$200,000 cars in them. Good ole boy environment in the executive ranks. Extremely high turnover at all lower level positions offering no consistency.

Advice to Senior ManagementI doubt that they would ever read this and if they did they'd rationalize the negatives. I suggest a company wide confidential survey be conducted and then address the top issues. Everyday we loose credibility with our customers based upon the crazy requests for "favors" to bring home the cases.

Worked for Southern Wine & Spirits? Contribute to the Community!

Southern Wine & Spirits – Why Work for Us?

​​Our Corporate Vision To be the leading distributor of beverage alcohol— creating superior value for all tiers of the industry. Our Mission Providing superior business solutions that drive growth and value for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southern Wine & Spirits reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southern Wine & Spirits CEO Harvey R. Chaplin. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Southern Wine & Spirits employees.