Southern Wine & Spirits Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.8

Southern Wine & Spirits Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin
Harvey R. Chaplin

Pros
  • Many locations around the United states offer great benefits (in 7 reviews)

• great pay and benefits for where i live in south carolina (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly does not care about those working at the entry level (in 12 reviews)

• There is a noticeable "good ole boy" network in action (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved the job, not the company

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun job with lots of benefits. I loved the other employees and the accounts I worked with. The money was decent and commission allowed for a lot of extra income.

Cons

The company failed when times got tough. I expected much more from such a large company. It can be a 24/7 job.

Help your employees to succeed.

High rate of employee retention

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

New leadership style has improved route to market and overall employee morale. No longer the "good old boys" club

Cons

Improve time off policies. Should be able to rollover vacation days. Employes need 10 yrs of service before they earn 3 weeks vacation a year

Continue to invest in your employees to earn their trust

Business Analyst

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomy, free samples, and short work week

Cons

sometimes there is nothing to do. Lots of cursing in the office. Very little training, luckily I'm a natural.

keep up the good work. Maybe hire some more sales people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Room to grow if located in the right area

Current Employee - Chain Sales Merchandiser  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Chain Sales Merchandiser in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are your own manager. Gain knowledge of wine and spirits. Not stuck in an office with a boring routine. Opportunity for growth for those that work extremely hard.

Cons

Promotions are limited to a particular number. Company headquarters are in OC, so if not willing to relocate things can be difficult.

Training was great. However i feel as if new hire training should be more realistic, not how things ideally would be

Family owned and contributes to community

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Care about giving back to community, quick expansion country wide, good benefits

Cons

could spend more time on succession planning

Cowards/Bullies dressed in suits

Current Employee - Off-premise Chain Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Off-premise Chain Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money. You can earn a comfortable living working with this company.

Cons

Everything else. In all honesty there are decent hardworking people employed by this joke of a company. I feel sorry for some of them for being manipulated and mistreated for any extended period of time. No person should be treated like upper management treats their employees. I lost 7 years of my life, but am much happier working for individuals who treat members of their workforce fairly. A common business practice with Southern is for members of management to pick out new reps and label them as outcasts of this company. No joke! I've seen this happen to multiple people while I worked for this company. They turn the entire division against them. To be completely objective and fair, I've seen one individual meet this result just for not allowing the manager in question to berate him in public. Guess what pal, your out of the circle of trust! In order to advance within this company you will need to learn how to intimidate others. Upper management looks at you as weak and pathetic if you are unable to be brutal towards your employees. And believe me, if they feel that way about you your reputation is gone. I've seen female employees cry, reps so uncomfortable they shake in team meetings, heard stories of employees urinating on other employees cars, reps who got in a fight on a winery trip, .....it goes on. I'm not writing this to give unfair criticism. Everything I've said is true and i have nothing to gain from it. For those of you considering employment in this company, especially straight out of college as i did, think carefully. Because work shouldn't cost you your happiness and there is a real possibility working for this company might.

professional help

Worst company to work for in the history of mankind.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is absolutly nothing good about working for this company that pleagued with upper management greed and unrealistic expectations. Every single employee is miserable, at least the sales force, and I advise you to speak to any of the sales force and they will concur, if they are comfortable with giving you an honest truth.

Cons

Absurd stress pressure, unrealistic sales goals, incompetent management, illegal business practices expected of the sales force, no compensation provided for travel, which is a very considerable expense.

Misery

Former Employee - Sales  in  Los Banos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Los Banos, CA

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice weather and warm sun

Cons

Ignorant managers with no manners

Go back to high school

Not for everyone, but fine for those that develop a thick skin

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Hollywood, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Hollywood, FL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits (401k, Health/Dental/Vision), the "new" SWS vision is emerging and most of the "old" SWS employees that practiced bad work ethics are beginning to retire and/or be terminated. I am very hopeful I will still be employed to see that new vision finally take place.

Cons

Very few advancement opportunities for women. If you are offended by curse words, look elsewhere, these words are a staple inside the office.

Start valuing the hard work, ideas and time put in by lower level employees. Give up a few incentive trips and expensive dinners and share the wealth with people below your pay grade. Those are the employees that really make this company run smoothly. Give the same perks (time off without using a personal day) as you do to yourself.

Good Ole Boy Mentality

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gaining experience and Networking opportunities

Cons

Basically think of them as the Mobsters of Wines & Spirits. Everything you would expect from that statement of being true is true. Such as... Not a place for a woman to advance in her career. Typical corporate backdoor handshaking atmosphere coupled with the good ole boy mentality.

Worked for Southern Wine & Spirits? Contribute to the Community!