Southern Wine & Spirits Reviews

168 reviews filtered by
3.2
Southern Wine & Spirits Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin
Harvey R. Chaplin

Pros
  • great pay and benefits for where i live in south carolina (in 7 reviews)

• There is opportunity for advancement even for a woman (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly does not care about those working at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

• There is a noticeable "good ole boy" network in action (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company and Great People

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So much opportunity and room for growth. Now in 35 states, employees have the unique opportunity to expand their careers regardless of whether or not they wish to stay in their same area or move.

Cons

Entry-level employees are not compensated very well and it's a tough job. Those who stick it out are rewarded with higher salaries and much opportunity to pursue their own professional growth.

Continue to invest in training and development; providing your people the opportunities and tools necessary for professional growth is extremely motivating for pro-active professionals.

2. Top notch people and benefits. Much better than Alliance, maybe on par with Youngs Market, from what reps ITK said.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

VERY good benefits (PTO, vacation, health, eye, dental, life, etc) raise 15-20% of effective pay if you paid for all benefits yourself. For me at least.
    No unreasonable sales goals or gustapo threats, I heard at least. Unlike Alliance Bev. They just move low "producers" to appropriate divisions, as long as they're honest, hard working and "on the ball" people, which I respect a lot.
    Great people. My manager Chris Roberts, trainer Josh Gerrard and district manager Bruce Deneweth were honestly the best people I've ever worked for. Also, Chris Coleman and Michael something of HR were great even though Michael, the director was juggling NM and AZ. These peoples great attitudes made this the most enjoyable company I've ever worked for. Professional but fun, on the ball, but not jerks, they really could run the company. They're that good.

Cons

Drug testing= 1 location FAR from my house and in a BAD neighborhood. Every other company I've worked for had many locations, MUCH closer to my home.
    Also, not enough stress was given as to the importance of getting to the facility in 24 hours from initial request. Lots of emphasis on other things, but that one almost cost me the job! And I only delayed going because it was SO far away, busy the Friday I got it and I didn't want to get mugged going there at night and they were closed over weekend.
    So after I'm waiting and waiting for job offer I was asked to do extraordinary things ASAP. Not the best, first impression.
    I almost said no thanks.
    Very sore and tired during OND, at least if you're over 30.
    Pay for Merchandisers and Sales is 10-25% less than other companies doing similar jobs, with similar benefits (ie Nestle, Frito Lay, Nabisco, Hensley etc.) although pay is higher than Alliance Beverage and same as Youngs Market.

Support your field better by getting new hires they know they want through the red tape faster. If that means hiring a separate HR director for NM, do it. Good people have many options and shouldn't be left to wonder. And Sales Managers/DM's shouldn't have to work so darn hard to make up for the employees they're waiting to be hired.
    Also, try to ease up on the "display charade" somehow. It'd save a lot of backs, and turnover. The "survey" people know the deal/did it before, so, come to some better agreements/plans.
    Lastly, get some waterjet massage tables at HQ and vouchers to Massage envy or something during OND. Moving 1,000 boxes of champagne a week hurts anyone and that would make your employees feel appreciated and less sore.

3. Very good company

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Pay and benifits are good

Cons

Lots of driving and long hours

5. LOVE IT!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Great company... You get out of it what you put in.

Cons

Huge sales goals on a terrible product... However, that is very uncommon

6. It's been great so far.

Current Employee - Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Good hours, decent pay, and my boss is pretty awesome.

Cons

It is a lot of physical labor, and they don't allow overtime.

7. Great partner to work with!

Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

From proactive communication to emergency stock replenishing, we always strive to provide our valued customers with the finest, reliable and respectful service and consideration Southern Wine & Spirits can deliver!

Cons

It is a FULL TIME JOB...but that goes with the territory, that you know going into it. There is not much else to complain about.

Continue to create ways for the employees to excel, be promoted and maybe some additional, after hours team building events.

8. it is great

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

great place to work for.

Cons

nothing that I can think of.

keep it up

9. Excellent

Former Employee - Inventory Assistant in Monroe, NJ
    Former Employee - Inventory Assistant in Monroe, NJ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great structure and great people

Cons

Too Far from urban areas

Keep It Up!

10. When you work here, you are part of the family

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time

Pros

Family run company, albeit 14k employees. Will provide you with technology and invest in high performing employees.
    Largest in the industry for a reason, we make our numbers and ship the cases out the door on time. Pleasure working here. Paycheck every two weeks, never late.

Cons

I like it here... no complaints

Keep investing in leadership development, promoting from within and getting your employees involved in national decisions.

Great Company, love working here

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Great pay, friendly staff, awesome

Cons

Love my job so much I don't spend enough time with my wife.

Southern Wine & Spirits Photos