Southern Wine & Spirits Reviews

168 reviews filtered by
3.2
Southern Wine & Spirits Chairman and CEO Harvey R. Chaplin
Harvey R. Chaplin

Pros
  • great pay and benefits for where i live in south carolina (in 7 reviews)

• There is opportunity for advancement even for a woman (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management clearly does not care about those working at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

• There is a noticeable "good ole boy" network in action (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company and Great People

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So much opportunity and room for growth. Now in 35 states, employees have the unique opportunity to expand their careers regardless of whether or not they wish to stay in their same area or move.

Cons

Entry-level employees are not compensated very well and it's a tough job. Those who stick it out are rewarded with higher salaries and much opportunity to pursue their own professional growth.

Continue to invest in training and development; providing your people the opportunities and tools necessary for professional growth is extremely motivating for pro-active professionals.

2. Decent job

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Flexibility, fun and easy to sell

Cons

a lot of travel and early mornings

3. Hard Work, but big payoff!

Current Employee - Off-premise Chain Sales Representative in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Off-premise Chain Sales Representative in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free wine, opportunity to grow, self management, in charge of your own destiny

Cons

hours, stressful metrics, dirty jobs, politics, corporate culture, dress code, hour management, equipment

Training was decent, but lots of shady practices needed to succeed. Lots of money up top but you can tell it doesn't trickle down.

5. An ever changing environment with a family owned company that cares about the employee.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Understanding, loyal, opportunity, stable, interactive

Cons

Reactive not proactive, minimal accountability

6. Top notch people and benefits. Much better than Alliance, maybe on par with Youngs Market, from what reps ITK said.

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (less than a year)

Pros

VERY good benefits (PTO, vacation, health, eye, dental, life, etc) raise 15-20% of effective pay if you paid for all benefits yourself. For me at least.
    No unreasonable sales goals or gustapo threats, I heard at least. Unlike Alliance Bev. They just move low "producers" to appropriate divisions, as long as they're honest, hard working and "on the ball" people, which I respect a lot.
    Great people. My manager Chris Roberts, trainer Josh Gerrard and district manager Bruce Deneweth were honestly the best people I've ever worked for. Also, Chris Coleman and Michael something of HR were great even though Michael, the director was juggling NM and AZ. These peoples great attitudes made this the most enjoyable company I've ever worked for. Professional but fun, on the ball, but not jerks, they really could run the company. They're that good.

Cons

Drug testing= 1 location FAR from my house and in a BAD neighborhood. Every other company I've worked for had many locations, MUCH closer to my home.
    Also, not enough stress was given as to the importance of getting to the facility in 24 hours from initial request. Lots of emphasis on other things, but that one almost cost me the job! And I only delayed going because it was SO far away, busy the Friday I got it and I didn't want to get mugged going there at night and they were closed over weekend.
    So after I'm waiting and waiting for job offer I was asked to do extraordinary things ASAP. Not the best, first impression.
    I almost said no thanks.
    Very sore and tired during OND, at least if you're over 30.
    Pay for Merchandisers and Sales is 10-25% less than other companies doing similar jobs, with similar benefits (ie Nestle, Frito Lay, Nabisco, Hensley etc.) although pay is higher than Alliance Beverage and same as Youngs Market.

Support your field better by getting new hires they know they want through the red tape faster. If that means hiring a separate HR director for NM, do it. Good people have many options and shouldn't be left to wonder. And Sales Managers/DM's shouldn't have to work so darn hard to make up for the employees they're waiting to be hired.
    Also, try to ease up on the "display charade" somehow. It'd save a lot of backs, and turnover. The "survey" people know the deal/did it before, so, come to some better agreements/plans.
    Lastly, get some waterjet massage tables at HQ and vouchers to Massage envy or something during OND. Moving 1,000 boxes of champagne a week hurts anyone and that would make your employees feel appreciated and less sore.

7. Great company with opportunity for advancement with hard work and networking

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Opportunity to learn every aspect of the wine and spirits industry
    Sell exciting products
    Career advancement options within the company or with its suppliers

Cons

High stress to meet numbers
    Hard to enjoy time off, some customers expect 365 day a year service

Set realistic expectations
    Create more of a team environment to support employees on time off

8. Very good company

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Pay and benifits are good

Cons

Lots of driving and long hours

9. Ok, I've learned plenty

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

Great industry great customers, great experience

Cons

Up and down stairs for delivery

Just listen to us sometimes

10. Warehouse Loader

I have been working at Southern Wine & Spirits

Pros

There are many opportunities to get over time. Only work four days a week. Holiday pay even during probation period. They will match some of your retirement.

Cons

The work is at night. You do receive vacation but there are restrictions on when you can take your vacations and your personal days that you accumulate.

11. Great company to begin a career in adult beverage sales

Former Employee - Off Premise Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Off Premise Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southern Wine & Spirits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and good benefits. If you get a good territory you have the opportunity to make decent incentive money.

Cons

Extremely low base salary that you have to make up for in sales. Opportunities for growth are hard to come by unless you are a top performing seller.

Increase base salaries to market level.

Southern Wine & Spirits Photos