Southland Industries Reviews

Forward Thinking Company and Great People to Work With

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Southland works on a diverse breadth of projects. Since I interned a year ago I have worked on projects from $10 million to $500,000. I have also had the opportunity to work in project management, controls, special project and now in engineering. I have always had the opportunity to take on new tasks and challenges while at work and have never been complacent.

In the last two years Southland has acquired 2 companies and started a new division. The future is looking very bright!

Southland likes to have fun outside of work and hosts a lot of events to get everyone together outside of work. (i.e. softball games, happy hour, mud run, volunteering)

Cons

There was a bit of uncertainty with what department I would be in when I started.

Great opportunities with a company set to grow.

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Never been told I can't take a chance at doing something new
    - Huge emphasis on continuous growth and training of the whole team
    - A culture unlike anything I have seen with past GC/ME companies
    - Hard work does not go unnoticed

Cons

- I have not ran into a "con" that I could not fix or navigate around.

- Continue to provide updates on the growth and direction of the company
    - Seeing the newest opportunities only helps validate and encourage hard work

Excellent Work Culture, Team Building, and Safety As a Priority

Current Employee - Service Controls Programmer  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Service Controls Programmer in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited Training Provided, You ask, You receive the training needed to accomplish results
    Safety Meetings, Foreman BBQs, Company Outings to get to know each other and promote Team building

Cons

WE need to improve our relationship between PM, PE and the Field staff. Better Communication and less animosity will hep us improve cost efficiency.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

By far, the best company I have worked for

I have been working at Southland Industries

Pros

Southland will always back you if you want to learn or take on more. They are big on developing their employees to be the best at what they do and help them grow into a career.
    Great benefits.
    Great co-workers.
    Southland is innovative and they challenge their employees to be the same.

All in all, a great company to work for.

Cons

Pay. Pay increases and bonuses are inconsistent. Increases and bonuses should be based on merit, not how much is in the department pool.

Take the time to get to know your employees. Low moral makes for an unpleasant work environment. Make sure the right people stay on the bus!

A home away from home.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very little micro management, the responsibility to get the job done is put on the employee with the understanding that any support they need is available. Compensation/Incentive is based on merit and value to the company as opposed to purely time spent with the company which drives/rewards high achievers. A world class office atmosphere with a positive "can do" vibe where people get along and have friendships that extend beyond the workplace. Being an integrated design builder allows cross training and cross learning opportunities for all facets of building design and construction from proposal to turnover.

Cons

In the past the expectation has been to get the job done right by whatever means it takes to get it done which put strains on work life balance, but was concurrent to a record amount of work moving through the company. Over the last few years the work load has balanced out and it hasn't been such an issue but need to stay mindful to avoid the potential of burning out employees over the long term.

Stay hungry and continue to look for ways to grow and remain a trend leader. For a company of this size it seems to be rare to have leadership that is still humble and stays connected to team executing the work; continue to stay grounded and maintain connections to the people throughout the company.

Been here for 5 years and plan on staying longer.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people to work with
    Opportunity to grow
    Great jobs to work on and build your resume
    Multiple career path choices

Cons

Bonus structure has fluctuated in the past, they're correcting by giving more raises now.

I've interned for three other General Contractors and none of them hold a candle to Southland.

Current Employee - Project Management Intern  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Project Management Intern in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The intern training is phenomenal: it is well established and very thorough. Additionally, training is offered both at lunch and after work by vendors for all employees, and all interns are highly encouraged to attend. They either cover material that I have learned in engineering and construction classes at school and go into more depth, or cover material that I've never been exposed to before. We're also given mentors that offer guidance and can answer any questions. Even other employees that we're not assigned to as mentors take the time to teach us.

I've interned for three other GCs and none of them hold a candle to Southland. Between the people and the companies goals and values, there's just nothing like it. The people that work here are awesome. They're passionate about their work and have fun while doing it; and it's contagious. The atmosphere here feels like something big is about to happen, and everyone is chomping at the bit for it.

Cons

There aren't enough people here. There's so much work now and what's rolling in, especially with the company's goals. If Southland doesn't start hiring good people quickly, the current people are bound to be stretched thin.

Don't just recruit from the east coast. There are plenty of people across the country that would jump at the chance to work for a company like this.

So glad I joined Southland.

Current Employee - Sales and Project Development  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Sales and Project Development in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been so impressed with Southland since coming on board at the beginning of this year. Our engineers are innovative, our field personnel are exceptionally skilled, and our leadership provides consistent vision and support. The people here are friendly and have a positive outlook. It has been a long time since I've enjoyed coming to work this much.

In particular, Southland has an incredibly high concentration of motivated, resourceful, creative, and successful team members. Because of these people, it seems there is no project too difficult or complex... in fact, the more gnarly, the better suited we are for the work. This environment makes for interesting and rewarding work and outstanding opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

Not a place for the faint-of-heart. Most positions here require self-motivated, high-performing people. You will be challenged, and at times it will be stressful. Work-life balance is valued, and we have a lot of fun- but I would not describe many jobs here as easy!

THE BEST COMPANY I HAVE WORKED FOR IN 19 YEARS!!

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dulles, VA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Southland values it's employees like no other I have worked for. The management staff is never too busy to speak openly with you on any issue and provide the necessary feedback/support you are seeking. What is most important to me, is that they do what they say they are going to do. Other company's that I have worked for only told you what you wanted to hear until you were in the door, then did not follow through. I have found the company that I am going to plant my feet with:)

Cons

I have not encountered any challeges working here to date.

Excellent Welcome!

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner  in  Union City, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Union City, CA

I have been working at Southland Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

I just started here at Southland and the on-boarding process has been extremely easy and welcoming. All across the business team members have been open to sharing their experiences with SI and to welcoming me to their team with open arms. Within just a few short weeks from starting I can see the deeply routed team environment and family-like culture that is expressed throughout the office, as well as, out in the field. The opportunities to grow your career internally with SI is immense. They are progressive and diverse in both their staff as well as their business vision. I am looking forward to a long and fulfilling career with SI.

Cons

Have none at this time.

Worked for Southland Industries? Contribute to the Community!