Southwest Airlines

Updated Feb 16, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company -- cares about employees

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsGood business model. Profitable every year. Management cares about bottom line, but also about it's people

ConsI don't there are any.

Great company to work for but leaders should listen to their employees and care about their home life.

Technical Support Representative (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits, Job Opportunities, Growing Company

ConsLately, it doesn't seem like leadership cares about your home, personal or family life. You're literally told to "find another job."

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, follow through on your intentions/ideas and grow your employees.

Great benefits, poor support.

Ground Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsTop pay in the industry, liberal vacation, free flights nationwide, vast income potential in large stations.

ConsAbsolutely no support for employees who attempt to make something of themselves and step out of the union into management positions. Asinine and silly responsibilities, as well as continual degradation from management staff.
    Supervisor briefings daily, that resulted in threats from management on a near daily basis at my station. Watched a large number of colleagues get terminated to make room for the Airtran merger. When Southwest says they never lay off, they're being honest. They fully take advantage of non-Union employees however.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the Southwest culture I've heard so much about. Support your leaders, and give feedback.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outstanding!

CSA (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsSWA promotes individuality, does not limit you to your job title and position..encourages you to make a difference.

Consmandatory overtime , mostly full-time positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your team, don't assume that we all have the same work ethics..based upon prior bad experiences and encourage us to promote ourselves within company.

Was good at the beginning

Facilities Maintenance Senior Tech Systemwide (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsMy first 6 years with Southwest was one of the best working experiences I've ever had. Leadership, and Co-Workers, even the customers were made me look forward to every day.
    Growth, Pay-Compensation, and Benefits were awesome.

ConsIn Nov. '07 my work group was forced transfered into a new group, switching us from hourly to salary with overtime option which the leaders decided if the O/T would be paid or not and they never did (hidden pay-cut by Gary Kelly's direct orders).
    Management of the new group had no clue how to operate or direct the new 45+ employees acquired through the forced transfer, every day there was a 'New Rule".
    Promises of reduced work load were replaced with a triple workload.
    Complaints of the 60+ hr work weeks, traveling 1-2 days a week, and only being paid for 40hrs (salary) were met with threats of termination.
    Group began "Organizing" due to the lack of compensation and those heading up the organization efforts were terminated (Southwest is not as Union friendly as they claim to be).

Advice to Senior ManagementHiding behind the Railroad Labor Act and not paying your blue collared work groups overtime, in fact giving them Comp time in exchange for the extra hours worked is legal because your an Airline but it's no where close to following "The Golden Rule" that Colleen and Herb founded the company on.
    Don't fire employee's who complain, listen to them and try to correct the problem.
    You should look at the leaders you have in place and don't trust them as much as you do, in the 3 years I spent after the forced transfer I saw hundreds of thousands of dollars waisted by leaders who had no "Maintenance" experience. Buy new was the motto, fixing things became a thing of the past.
    Hiring non-southwest people to lead only brings in the bad habits of their former employers.
    Recognize that the only reason a work group with an average of 15yrs with the company would want to all of a sudden unionize is because their being treated unfairly and want to protect the careers they have so much time invested in.

Southwest is a great place to work!

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsExcellent benefits, flexible schedule. Trade shifts to work as much or as little as you'd like. Working at the airport, wages start low, around $10.50 per hour, but top out is around $25.00 per hour after 10-11 years.

ConsWorking on holidays, week ends, nights, and a changing schedule. The Union also protects those who don't like to come to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Southwest Airlines.

Ramp Agent (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe benefits are the best with free filght being number 1 and they have the best healthcare plan with medical dental and vision plan coming in at a little over $16 a month you cant beat it

ConsThe starting pay for what we do is low. you start out at $10.18 an hour when for the work we do it should be somewhere around $12 at least thats how some competitors feel. Another down side is the lack of respect from station management (some supervisors and some station management) is it hard to say good job and talk to the work force like adults or it the child talk better.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the work force know the direction of the company a little better, they say we are hurting of money due to gas prices and we neet to make major cutbacks and watch spending closer but then turn around and buy a $41,000 wheel chair lift to put on the side of the jet way so we dont have to walk the extra 20 feet to the free elevatior that the airport installed i dont get it. or how about the "R/X team or whatever you changed the name to now. is it really a good idea to get 10-15 people to fly around the system, put them up in a hotel every night, pay for all the food and transportation along with wages, then on top of that hire 10-15 more people to fill there spots then pay to have them trained to try to save a few dollars by having the "team" sit in an office and over ride local mangement by changing the well oilled machine. me i feel you dumped a quart of water in it.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings in Baltimore, MD — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.