Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated May 1, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, Great People !!

Customer Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat culture and great benefits

ConsHard to advance in the company.

Great Company that works well with the United States Community.

Captain (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey care for their employees.

ConsCan't think of anything bad to say about the people or the particulars.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and the honest and fair relations with the employees.

Stil very happy to work for Southwest.

First Officer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat place to work, although not perfect I still enjoy coming to work!

ConsWorking through the Air Tran integration.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternational!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYour co workers, southwest truly does have remarkable people who work there. Everyone in my department is like extended family.

Consreservations has become more about quantity vs. quality its all about how many calls you can complete and selling products to customers vs helping them with what their problem is.
    Also reservations is the MOST micro managed department ever. someone is always over your shoulder babysitting you like you are a little kid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is not pre school we are all capable adults who know how to do our job. Please treat me as such

Simply Amazing

Ramp (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat company, great benefits, great pay

ConsI cannot think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

long term employees - know the real deal-

Captain (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosright now- due to good labor contracts -which were fought for- money/benefits are good.

Constoo many managers -vice presidents- directors. lots of labor contracts expiring over the next 2 years and the current negotiations with the ground workers are dragging out for almost 2 years which is never a good sign. stop telling us the job is "fun"....guess what it's not any longer-especially out on the line- the days are long and hectic. Don't ask workers-who work very long days often to be given -forced overtime- to do volunteer work on their day off so the company image can benefit. it's a good time to be senior at this company.

Advice to Senior Managementfrom the long term workers: years prior to the current CEO and all his buddies: workers were trusted to make decisions and were backed up- that's gone. Never ever have an independent thought-even if it's a good idea- someone up top might feel threatened. the current king of spreadsheets-CEO -has surrounded himself with "yes" men who all tell him how great his ideas are. there's a real feeling among workers that upper management is completely clueless.

Awesome, great experience and people.

Ramp Agent (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTravel benefits were great and fun.

ConsPeople were nice and great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter supervisors.

Was there a long time and became more of a tool day by day, month by month.

Corporate Recruiter/Trainer/Customer Service Superisor (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prostravel benefits
    culture that was people friendly

Consbecoming large like any big company began to loose treating people with individuality and became more and more focused on the bottom line. Not a bad thing but when you do it in lue of employees your ruin the focus and dis avow history.

Advice to Senior Managementstop hiring management that has not experience with the airline business and the culture of the company. Yes I know I am old school. And, change management is a process not a punch down take it or leave it approach. Most all airlines have died that way by the way.

Exceptionally satisfying

Captain (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat management, fellow employees, superb wages and benefits

ConsForced retirement by the Federal Government

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you've been doing

great place to work

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat travel benefits and health insurance as well as pay increases the longer you work there. overall a great environment if you cannot stand the nine to five thing. this allows you to be a more dynamic individual

Consterrible uniforms, employee review system untrustworthy. remember not to reveal too much to people you don't know. you tend to get close to people quickly but gossip spreads faster in aviation folks..word to the wise. also mind your p's and q's you never know who is watching

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!