Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros:
  • "Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Great benefits (medical, 401k match 9%, profit sharing, free standby travel),"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful"
    in 19 reviews
  • "The flight benefits are great but with such low pay it's hard to really enjoy them"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't believe the hype

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them. Salary is OK but below average.

ConsSouthwest Airlines is becoming Outsource Airlines, at least for the Technology area at headquarters. Leadership is poor and they are putting the final nails in the coffin of the SWA culture. They only pay lip service to supporting their employees. Perks have disappeared rapidly over the late couple years. They ask for feedback and when it is all negative, they inform you that they are telling you to do it and not asking (so why ask for feedback in the first place). They say they are moving to industry standards but only cherry pick the part of "standards" they want to enforce and ignore the other factors that go along with it that makes it work for other companies. SWA is fast becoming an industry follower and not a leader. The principals in the book about SWA, "Nuts!", is being thrown out the window and it's not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually listening to your employees and stop letting the bean counters run the company.

Not enough pay for the stress.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsCulture, flight benefits, and sense of community

ConsOver worked and under payed, threats from passengers, pressure to perform while pushing for upgrades, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate hard work and avoid negative criticism, rotate positions to maintain skill levels, provide enough employees to cover the duties required to be performed.

The people were very nice and helpful in classroom training

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Prosthe travel benefits are great, so I heard.I wasnt there long enough to use them. The so called family atmosphere I did not experience either because I didnt even finish training

ConsIf you are middle aged and older and dont have great upper body strength and stamina dont even attempt this job. You will be wasting your time and theirs. The hardest part was working in the cargo hold trying to stack very heavy luggage the right way.I didnt last a week in field training and I do a lot of bike riding etc.This is definitly the under forty crowds cup of tea.Do some serious weight training and cardio for about three months before attempting.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a training film before training phase showing people exactly what they are getting themselves into as a ramper, no sugarcoating

Loved working for this company!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits were amazing. As a flight attendant we had one of the best contracts of any airline. The scheduling flexibility was great. The company throws great parties and there is a great company culture.

ConsAfter flying for a year or so I realized it wasn't the right job for me. I wanted to stay with the company but there were no decent paying positions with the company at the airport.

Very enjoyable and laid back!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDef the office culture is the biggest pro. Our dress code is business casual but most people dress very casually. Shorts and a t shirt are OK during summer. The benefits are very good too. You, your spouse, and parents fly for free. Best health insurance in the country with a company match of 12%for your 401k

ConsBiggest con is not competitive on pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more vacation time and increase pay structure.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Place to Work with Outstanding Benefits

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsCompensation, Benefits, People, Customers, Opportunities

ConsOutsourcing, Change in Culture, Parking,

I am proud to work for SWA

Customer Support & Services (Current Employee)
South Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can work as little or as much as you like. We are able to trade days, pay away days, take off when available (available leave without pay- alwop.) Sometimes I am off so much people wonder if I am still employed. Also SWA gives us the freedom to fly. Employee, Mom, Dad, Spouse, and children fly FREE. Swag point that we earn that can be traded in for fabulous prizes, JUST FOR COMING TO WORK. Who does that??? SWA!!!

ConsMOT When weather is an issue or when volume is high, be prepared to work Mandatory overtime. However if you like to work, you can make some good money when others want to payaway their shift. They pay you, and you get paid for working their shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. From the big wigs with great titles to the regular management team, 98 percent will treat you with dignity and respect. This is a company who values their workers and will praise you for you accomplishment.

Best domestic airline to work for!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent pay and Excellent benefits ... loved the employees too!

Conscompany may be growing too fast

Advice to Senior Managementstop promoting your problem employees

Great professional growth and opprotunities

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Opportunity to experience a broad range of responsibilities within job roles.
-Corporate culture is great. While there are growing pains, there is focus on keeping the culture alive.
-Company Leadership really cares about its Employees.
-Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc.

Cons-A lot of growth and relying heavily on Contractor help to reduce headcount growth.

Advice to Senior Management- Reassess strategy with Contract workers vs Employees.

A&P Mechanic

A&P Mechanic (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat pay, perks, time off

ConsDental plan isn't as good as the medical plan. Getting day shift is not easy.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All 389 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.