Southwest Airlines

www.southwest.com

Southwest Airlines Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

Project Mgr Review

Project Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood team
    Great support from peers and management

ConsBetter training in business understanding

Advice to Senior ManagementFeedback on performance is not timely

Very Satisfied

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere is an excellent corporate culture!

ConsLittle job advancement. Stagnant growth in my field of expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome leaders are incompetent, others are beyond excellent. Our department is currently working on a strategy to level the playing field and I'm extremely grateful.

Satisfied employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe benefits are good, the work culture and people are also very enjoyable to work with. It's not a stuffy environment and generally speaking it's pretty easy going most of the time. Most people who work here stay for long periods of time because of the culture and benefits.

ConsThe company culture can be, at times, a little unprofessional. The salaries tend to be a little below market value and even though the health benefits are really good, the opportunity to advance within the company often seems to be more about popularity than actual job performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should look at the needs of their employees and realize that in order to grow and have better employees, perhaps there should be more opportunities to grow within the company. Take away the policy of using sick leave (that is a benefit) affecting promotion status, it's ridiculous, sometimes you get sick during the year, it shouldn't keep someone from being able to move into a new internal position or being promoted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LUV SWA, But Don't Get Hurt

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Buffalo, NY

ProsFlexible schedule, free flight benefits, 401K match, fun employees. Health care if you need it was good.

ConsSome of the overtime rules were not good, for example; you could close at night getting out after midnight and be forced in for mandatory overtime at 6am, or mandatory OT day after day! The worst is getting hurt on the job.They really don't do anything to help you keep your job. I could not lift anymore. as a result, no job. They would not allow me to do a part of the job at the gate area that required no lifting. It is a true shame because I truly loved my job as a Customer Service Agent and I miss my co-workers and customers who end up being like family. I would definately work for Southwest Airlines again if given the opportunity, perhaps as a reservation agent!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't turn your back on those employess who gave you many years of excellent Customer Service. Make sure you have a plan to assist us, which you don't offer now. I would gladly come back to assist you in creating a program to help the injured worker...

The only other thing I would say is to kkep up the good work Southwest, I miss you terribly!

Southwest Airlines Internship Review

Intern (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people, really awesome benefits for interns, a fun place to work, great organized intern activities, casual dress, opportunities to come back and work upward in the company, best place I've worked.

ConsDallas might not be your preferred city to live in, the pay is not high compared with internships with other Fortune 500 companies, and unfortunately I was there during the worst of the recession so there was a hiring freeze.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! I had a great supervisor who really cared about my experience there and also about me having fun and traveling, which was a great perk. This is a wonderful place to intern, and I know, I've had a few other internships with big companies.

very good place to work you do have to work hard ..but you also have time between flights for down time (rest eat etc)

Ramp Agent (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

Prosgood people at our level willingness to step in and help you good ,pay after you`ve been there awhile ,great benefits and diversity of job never know what you will be doing or where

Conshave you heard of the (Peter Princible) sp for upper managment that says it all

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your frontline people they have been there some of you have .but sooooooooo long ago times they are a`changing

Great place to work as long as you are outside of Technology.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat flight and insurance benefits. Best place to work if you need job security.

ConsTechnology management is clueless and does not have a vision for the future. Most big projects are outsourced since Technology has a lot of old mainframe type guys sticking around who do very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementJob security is great but not at the cost of the company. Cut those who don't want to learn or push the business in the right direction. Gary needs to cut almost all of the Technology Leadership ranks. Stop hiring from Pepsi, EDS and Feld Group. These people are dragging us down.

LUV the culture

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBest Company culture ever
    Sense of brotherhood
    Great company History
    Excellent former CEO
    Long lasting friendships
    Camarederie
    Travel benefits for self and family

ConsMiddle management is very poor. There are some people I would not have hired, since SWA does not like firing people, this only gets worse.
    Slow, laidback attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up the senior management rank. Yes, they have been here for 15 years but they are ruining the fine company started by Herb

The best airline to work for by far

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsHighest pay scale in the industry, very flexible job, great co-workers, a real family atmosphere for the most part.

ConsWorking the holidays can be lonely.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep us strong!

Maintenance...Almost awesome

Heavy Structures Maintenance DAL (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSouthwest maintenance rocks as far as flexibility, pay, benefits, and overall places to work. Pay for a 5 yr mechanic is around $42 hr, leads and inspectors + 6%, time and half after 8 hrs, double time after 12...with paid rest after 24. Three % raises are garunteed for the next 3 year with a 1% bonus every year. Day trades and giveaways are always there and overtime is good, but slowing a bit as the belt tightening has hit everyone. Taking in consideration 9-11, the economy, and this is the airline business, some people still don't realize how good we have it. This truly is the best place to work. I've been here 14 years and hope to stay atleast that much longer.

ConsMid level management is average at best. Pay prevents most good mechanics from applying for Supervisors. Supervisors have little or no authority ....Shift work prevents good mechnics from being leads. Some, not all, mechanics that have been here a long time, are just along for the ride. Hiring cutbacks, position abolishments, and shift averaging have all but eliminated anyone from moving up. I have moved back seniority wise the last 5 years, which reflects in the shift you can hold, therefore the quality of life you have with your family. Unions have and always will keep the people you want to see get fired...from being fired. They do serve a purpose...but you must have the right people running them...and I'm not sure we do..atleast in DAL.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the rush to cutback and save money...don't follow other airlines. Take care of your people....not only monetarily, but in their quality of life with their families. Good Morale is everything. It translates to customers and the product you put out. If you want to come to work...life is good. Listen to the workers...they usually know the way.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!