Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros:
  • "Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc"
    in 40 reviews
Cons:
  • "The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work, very focused on the employee and keeping them happy.

Senior Manager Tech Ops Division (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFamily friendly, employee friendly, great benefits, great working environment, great co workers who care about others, will empower you to make choices, and will allow you to step outside your area of expertise and learn.

ConsManagement focus can sometimes be "Squirrel!" Always chasing after the latest and greatest lately. I realize we need to change, but look for the goal, rather than chasing 100 goals to see which one is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the Director level and VP level, you are to absent. We never see you guys anymore.

Great Company, Great Benefits, Super Company Culture

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsA well run company that is fiscally responsible, provides job security, great benefits, cares about its employees and tries to do the right thing for employees, customers and stockholders. Work life balance is good. Overall a great place to work.

ConsJust like any large corporation there is an abundance of office politics that can trip you up and cause you problems. Career advancement is there but requires a reliance on who you know and how brown your nose is. Reliance on contractors and consultants will be a problem in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more feedback from line level employees. They are in the trenches everyday and can provide you with more insight that any report from a manager or director.

Solid company

Technical Writer (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsPhenomenal corporate culture; fun; professional; stable

ConsAdvancement, which is comes quick for many, isn't guaranteed for those who are solid/exceptional performers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great workplace culture

Analyst II (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe company creates shared experiences through work teams and volunteer opportunities. This enables employees to work together and get to know each other a little better. Result is cooperation and general goodwill.

ConsCompany seems to favor employees who have only worked at Southwest. If you bring experience from outside, it is rarely taken seriously. It's a shame because, as good as it is, there is room for improvement.

Best Internship Program!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe people are awesome and they have great employee benefits

ConsThey have lost some of their unique and quirky personality traits

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFlight benefits and being incorporated into the team. Also, the intern program is just really wonderful in general!

ConsThe flight benefits have you looking forward to weekends!

Southwest Airlines is an amazing employer that cares for its employees.

Staffing Analyst (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWonderful people, amazing benefits, and a fun work environment.

ConsTechnology constraints seem to hold us back at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth plan and invest in your technology.

Great Experience

ProsEveryone is always so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help in any way!

ConsNo cons - Always a new work challenge every day!

Don't believe the hype

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGood health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them. Salary is OK but below average.

ConsSouthwest Airlines is becoming Outsource Airlines, at least for the Technology area at headquarters. Leadership is poor and they are putting the final nails in the coffin of the SWA culture. They only pay lip service to supporting their employees. Perks have disappeared rapidly over the late couple years. They ask for feedback and when it is all negative, they inform you that they are telling you to do it and not asking (so why ask for feedback in the first place). They say they are moving to industry standards but only cherry pick the part of "standards" they want to enforce and ignore the other factors that go along with it that makes it work for other companies. SWA is fast becoming an industry follower and not a leader. The principals in the book about SWA, "Nuts!", is being thrown out the window and it's not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually listening to your employees and stop letting the bean counters run the company.

Just OK

ProsStrong Union, Good benefits, flight and travel benefits, good insurance, generous 401K match, profit sharing, fun company events

Conspay could be better, mandatory overtime sometimes messes up plans, union contract already expired without a new contract in place, sometimes hard to use flight benefits because of full flights

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All 418 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.