Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros:
  • "Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Brain-washing via an airline

Station Supervisor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsLook out for their employees, willing to give them time off for issues if needed

Conssalaries are based on unattainable expectations, their "culture" is so overloaded they basically brainwash their employees

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for internal advancement versus externally hiring

A great internship program.

Corporate Tax Intern (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

ProsStructured internship (HR), but mobility within individual departments.

ConsThe internship does not inherently lead to a FT position, regardless of how well you perform.

Great culture, great people

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance is a core part of the culture. They encourage service in your community which is unlike any company I have worked for.

ConsIt is difficult to get promoted at headquarters because there is such low turnover. It sometimes seems that your tenure is more important than your capabilities in order to get a promotion.

Great company to start a career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

ProsGreat culture, great people, and good benefits.

ConsThe pay. The flight benefits are great but with such low pay it's hard to really enjoy them.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up a little bit and don't be so hesitant to trying new things.

My entire experience as an employee at Southwest Airlines was amazing. It is a great company to work for!

Customer Insights Analyst (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe work environment and culture was open and fun. Everyone is very nice and pleasant. All the employees are very open. If you ever needed help, it was always easy to find someone to help you.

ConsThere is only one downside that I can think of. It was sometimes hard for me to understand what information I could share with which people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask upper management to continue what they are doing and don't change a thing. It was a blast to work at Southwest Airlines.

Best summer of my life

Culture Activities Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe culture is amazing! As an intern I got to participate fully in my department. I helped plan employee appreciation events and got to travel all around the country.

ConsMy internship was awesome but some of my fellow interns didnt have as much to do everyday as I did, it really depends on the manager. Also the chances of getting hired on afterwards in your field is pretty low, but you can get your foot in the door and wait for a perfect position to open up.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemeber to keep hiring people with the Southwest spirit! Also make sure the positions that you hire interns for are learning experiences.

it was ok

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, really felt that they cared about you and tried the best to communicate that to all of the employees. glad to work here currently

ConsSome of the co workers tended to be too laid back. did not pay attention to detail about their work but overall a very nice place to work for anyone

Advice to Senior Managementnone

If you value service and an honest airline DO NOT ride Southwest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Airlines

ProsThe staff was friendly. I have a 20 word minimum and that's all that I have to say as a pro.

ConsThe flight staff is there to chat and hangout in the back of the plane. I have seen customers turned away or told to hold on while flight staff continues to talk about their own person lives.

For the desk workers if you make a scene and throw a fit you might be compensated for their inevitable mistakes, flight delays, and all around general non hustle to do any of their jobs. This compensation will take a lot of convincing and don't get your hopes up you won't get much (even if your flight is delayed over night)

If you are a loyal customer with issues that is nice and easy to work with they will give you no help for your trouble. It feels like working at a carnival trying hard to help you the least amount possible.

Do yourself a favor choose a different airline, drive, walk I will never fly southwest again. As a customer of over 20 years southwest service has gone down hill quick in the past few.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the airline you claim to be and gets some morals. People pay ridiculous amounts of money to fly. Work for them stop having them work for you. Things have changed over the past 5 years and I won't be the last to make this decision if things don't turn around quick.

Hardwork and fun

Maintenance Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlight Benefits, great mentors and great projects based on real world.

ConsVery hard to get job after your internship.

A company that really knows how to take care of its employees and their family

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

ProsPay, Benefits, People, Customers, Work Environment. The culture at southwest puts the employees first, They believe if they take care of us then we will take care of our external customers. Thank you to the entire southwest management team for making this the BEST place to work in the world.

ConsI have nothing negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the awesome job!

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All 389 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.