Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

Loved working for this company!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe benefits were amazing. As a flight attendant we had one of the best contracts of any airline. The scheduling flexibility was great. The company throws great parties and there is a great company culture.

ConsAfter flying for a year or so I realized it wasn't the right job for me. I wanted to stay with the company but there were no decent paying positions with the company at the airport.

Great Company, Great Benefits, Super Company Culture

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsA well run company that is fiscally responsible, provides job security, great benefits, cares about its employees and tries to do the right thing for employees, customers and stockholders. Work life balance is good. Overall a great place to work.

ConsJust like any large corporation there is an abundance of office politics that can trip you up and cause you problems. Career advancement is there but requires a reliance on who you know and how brown your nose is. Reliance on contractors and consultants will be a problem in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more feedback from line level employees. They are in the trenches everyday and can provide you with more insight that any report from a manager or director.

Great workplace culture

Analyst II (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe company creates shared experiences through work teams and volunteer opportunities. This enables employees to work together and get to know each other a little better. Result is cooperation and general goodwill.

ConsCompany seems to favor employees who have only worked at Southwest. If you bring experience from outside, it is rarely taken seriously. It's a shame because, as good as it is, there is room for improvement.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFlight benefits and being incorporated into the team. Also, the intern program is just really wonderful in general!

ConsThe flight benefits have you looking forward to weekends!

Southwest Airlines is an amazing employer that cares for its employees.

Staffing Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWonderful people, amazing benefits, and a fun work environment.

ConsTechnology constraints seem to hold us back at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth plan and invest in your technology.

Very enjoyable and laid back!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsDef the office culture is the biggest pro. Our dress code is business casual but most people dress very casually. Shorts and a t shirt are OK during summer. The benefits are very good too. You, your spouse, and parents fly for free. Best health insurance in the country with a company match of 12%for your 401k

ConsBiggest con is not competitive on pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more vacation time and increase pay structure.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Experience

ProsEveryone is always so friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help in any way!

ConsNo cons - Always a new work challenge every day!

Great Place to Work with Outstanding Benefits

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCompensation, Benefits, People, Customers, Opportunities

ConsOutsourcing, Change in Culture, Parking,

Best domestic airline to work for!

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsExcellent pay and Excellent benefits ... loved the employees too!

Conscompany may be growing too fast

Advice to Senior Managementstop promoting your problem employees

I am proud to work for SWA

Customer Support & Services (Current Employee) South Houston, TX

ProsYou can work as little or as much as you like. We are able to trade days, pay away days, take off when available (available leave without pay- alwop.) Sometimes I am off so much people wonder if I am still employed. Also SWA gives us the freedom to fly. Employee, Mom, Dad, Spouse, and children fly FREE. Swag point that we earn that can be traded in for fabulous prizes, JUST FOR COMING TO WORK. Who does that??? SWA!!!

ConsMOT When weather is an issue or when volume is high, be prepared to work Mandatory overtime. However if you like to work, you can make some good money when others want to payaway their shift. They pay you, and you get paid for working their shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. From the big wigs with great titles to the regular management team, 98 percent will treat you with dignity and respect. This is a company who values their workers and will praise you for you accomplishment.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!