Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

Don't believe the hype

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them. Salary is OK but below average.

ConsSouthwest Airlines is becoming Outsource Airlines, at least for the Technology area at headquarters. Leadership is poor and they are putting the final nails in the coffin of the SWA culture. They only pay lip service to supporting their employees. Perks have disappeared rapidly over the late couple years. They ask for feedback and when it is all negative, they inform you that they are telling you to do it and not asking (so why ask for feedback in the first place). They say they are moving to industry standards but only cherry pick the part of "standards" they want to enforce and ignore the other factors that go along with it that makes it work for other companies. SWA is fast becoming an industry follower and not a leader. The principals in the book about SWA, "Nuts!", is being thrown out the window and it's not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually listening to your employees and stop letting the bean counters run the company.

Best company to work for

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsPeople are very kind and friendly

ConsWant more hours and not being on reserve

A&P Mechanic

A&P Mechanic (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat pay, perks, time off

ConsDental plan isn't as good as the medical plan. Getting day shift is not easy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not enough pay for the stress.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsCulture, flight benefits, and sense of community

ConsOver worked and under payed, threats from passengers, pressure to perform while pushing for upgrades, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate hard work and avoid negative criticism, rotate positions to maintain skill levels, provide enough employees to cover the duties required to be performed.

OK... Heading down.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe travel benefits are great. Not only do you and your family fly for free on SWA, you also get many other discounted travel options including free or very discounted flights on other airlines. The culture at SWA is the best among airlines, though this is starting to fade. Health benefits are great, and they offer a company match 401K, stock discounts, and profit sharing.

ConsThe odd hours were unbearable. Be prepared to work at any hour of the day, and any day of the year including weekends and holidays. The odd hours were not confined to bad weather situations either. There was always a customer service agent at work from the hours of 4am-1am each day, these were simply normal hours. Mandatory overtime is rampant, especially during busy times, which often means working 12 hour days instead of just 8, and often having to work on you days off. Aside from the hours, the whole nature of the job is often a negative experience. You are the person who directly needs to handle people who are upset about missed flights, or missing bags. Rarely is an encounter like this a pleasant one. Career advancement is limited in satellite cities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make a stronger effort to keep the culture alive. For agents the pay is too low for the hours and issues we deal with. Please staff properly instead of forcing overtime on the most junior employees constantly.

The people were very nice and helpful in classroom training

Prosthe travel benefits are great, so I heard.I wasnt there long enough to use them. The so called family atmosphere I did not experience either because I didnt even finish training

ConsIf you are middle aged and older and dont have great upper body strength and stamina dont even attempt this job. You will be wasting your time and theirs. The hardest part was working in the cargo hold trying to stack very heavy luggage the right way.I didnt last a week in field training and I do a lot of bike riding etc.This is definitly the under forty crowds cup of tea.Do some serious weight training and cardio for about three months before attempting.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow a training film before training phase showing people exactly what they are getting themselves into as a ramper, no sugarcoating

Spinning my wheels

Attendance and Leave (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsExciting office space, overall happy employees, and a lot of fun resources and activities outside your normal job duties.

ConsWithin an entry level department it is hard to transfer, as they want to keep overqualified employees at a lower level. I have been trying for over a year to transfer out of my current position and the positions are promoted from within that department. The recruiting is lacking in effort and is very hard to get in touch with. It has been very discouraging and frustrating to work for such a "great" company and to have my spirit squelched by nonsense. My current department takes years if any at all to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your lower level employees, promote your entry level employees faster.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Software developer

ProsGood technical people can normally get things done.

ConsManagement sucks, don;t know where and how to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest on people

Great professional growth and opprotunities

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros-Opportunity to experience a broad range of responsibilities within job roles.
    -Corporate culture is great. While there are growing pains, there is focus on keeping the culture alive.
    -Company Leadership really cares about its Employees.
    -Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc.

Cons-A lot of growth and relying heavily on Contractor help to reduce headcount growth.

Advice to Senior Management- Reassess strategy with Contract workers vs Employees.

Happy

IT Developer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsBest place to work, Most admired company by employees, Excellent benefits

ConsLess than market salary, No work from home. Crowded, less space for cubicles.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!