Southwest Airlines Reviews

Reset
4.3
Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • The flight benefits are the best too (in 48 reviews)

• Great benefits with lots of career opportunities (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory overtime can be very tough and rampant depending how staffed your station is (in 23 reviews)

• the worst thing is terrible work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. Business Partner

Current Employee - Business Partner in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Partner in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great Company with a Mission with a mission dedicated to Employees.

Cons

The Fun-Luving Attitude can cause delays in making more direct decisions.

Not you typical internship

Former Intern - Meteorology in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Meteorology in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern

Pros

Having the title of "intern" but working and being treated as a full time employee makes this one of the best internships in the country. It is a very engaging experience and a day doesn't go by without learning something new.

Cons

It is very competitive when trying to get into this company. Applying once usually is not enough. It is not secret that SWA is a great company to work for.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to give management. The individuals above me were great and put me into an environment that I could succeed in.

3. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, great people. There are a lot of exciting opportunities here at SWA and it is a great time to be with the company.

Cons

Can't think of anything! Really enjoy working here. The 'cons' would be the same you'd experience in any job.

Advice to Management

Southwest continues to report record profits quarter after quarter. Keep doing what you are doing.

5. Southwest airlines DotCom Team review

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Dallas, TX

Pros

One of the best work culture I have experienced so far.

Cons

Nothing I can think of

6. Structural Engineer

Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Structural Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

Great Coworkers and Manager Support

Cons

Low Pay for the degree

Software Engineer - Contractor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and Flexible work culture. They care about Employees. I worked with lots of people with various technological background. This helped me learn a lot of technologies. Great benefits and profit share - only for employees

Cons

They hire only contractors. Few people are converted to full time but that depends on how much networking you do within the company and a personal preferences of the manager.

8. Great company - limited career opportunity as an intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Southwest has such wonderful people. I swear everyone takes a happy pill in the morning. The benefits are unbeatable (for full-timers) and free flights are.... well, free flights. No words needed. I really enjoy coming to work and LUV it here.

Cons

As a post grad intern, I figured it was worth the risk to try and gain full-time employment. The problem with this company is that they are continuing to do the things the way they always have because half the employees are old and have been here 20+ years which in turn means they are in management. The worst (and best) thing about Southwest is company turn over is SO low. Therefore, there are literally no jobs (unless you're in the technology department) that are offered other than Customer Relations where you work weekends and horrible hours. So don't go in having your hopes high that you will have full-time employment in your field of interest because that's just not going to happen. Plus, if you go into Customer Relations, you HAVE TO stay in that department for a year and a half before you can even try to do something that actually interests you. Airlines run of super thin margins and because of that, they don't have the money to staff as many people as they need.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Internal Auditor

Current Employee - Senior Auditor/Auditor II in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor/Auditor II in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules are offered, which are very nice to have. The audit subjects are very diverse, making the work more interesting. The company as a whole really makes great decisions that cater to a very diverse mindset (i.e. not leaning toward any one single personality type).

Cons

The company as a whole is becoming much less FUN. This used to be a large part of what made the company tick, but the push to become more efficient has squeezed out quite a bit of this. Related to this, the culture is becoming much more professional in that a lot of leaders have begun to take themselves too seriously, which is against our general leadership guidance.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourselves seriously and build a bench. Be clear in your expectations by providing an intent with goals so that we can all remain on the same page.

10. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, good pay and benefits, friendly employees, lots of extra-curricular activities.

Cons

AMFA union causes problems for many people in the company.

Would have liked to stay if I could have moved up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are excellent, including 401K matching, profit sharing, health insurance, and not to mention flying for free. I also enjoyed working with some really great people and will miss my co-workers.

Cons

Nearly impossible to move up in the company. I was passed up for multiple promotion opportunities that were given to less experienced people. I came to Southwest as part of the AirTran acquisition and my years of leadership experience at AirTran were dismissed because it wasn't Southwest experience.

Advice to Management

Reconsider promotion procedures to avoid losing some talented people that want to be a part of the Southwest family

RSS Feed </> Embed