Southwest Airlines

Updated September 18, 2014
4.0

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

175 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was an intern at Southwest Airlines for the summer of 2014. It was an incredible experience!!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Amazing company culture
    2. Everyone is friendly
    3. The Company utilizes interns and treats them like employees

Cons

1. Huge company & internship program

This was an amazing internship experience.... can't think of anything bad to say!

Overall, very good. But watch for the backstabbers, they hide very well.

Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Relations Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Dozens of ways to further your career. You just have to determine which direction you want to go.

Cons

Being young, 25-35, and with any type of degree will help you advance. If you are older, then it is up to who you know, not what you know.

Go back to being more customer service, and stop basing everything on metrics.

Business Consultant

Former Employee - Business Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, Personal Growth, Culture, Pride of working for this company, Perks. Plenty of reasons why I loved this company and my job

Cons

Compensation could be better, Promotions are very hard to get and reserved to help other tenured employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good people to work with

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and working environment. Good infrastructure for the working environment. Job security, very good management, fun activities around the clock, best health benefits.

Cons

It would be great to have pay complement all other factors in PROS.

Identify opportunities to improve pay for employees.

Network Planning Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good environment. Coworkers are very nice to interns! You can handle practical projects and learn a lot of new stuff from it. Unlimited flight privilege. there are many activities for interns, including career services. So this is an ideal company for new graduates.

Cons

No cons I can think of. Maybe the pay is a little bit lower than other companies. 12 dollars per hour

Top Notch Employer

Current Employee - Repairs  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Repairs in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Many new and exciting changes are on the horizon for Southwest. If you can, jump on board for the ride.

Cons

Enterprise software is outdated and needs upgrades.

Southwest is one of the best domestic airlines when it comes to company culture.

Current Employee - CSA  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - CSA in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible schedule, travel benefits, insurance plans, 401k, great company culture and events for a good work-life balance.

Cons

In the Dallas station in particular the biggest con was Love Field itself... the station was so old it was very cramped and the AC didnt work well in Summer and Heat didnt work in winter but I am sure all of that has now been resolved with the building of the new terminals.

The company and culture that was once described in text books and literature no longer exists.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture can be enjoyable if you're liked by the right people. There seems to be an "in crowd" in every department. If your part of the "in crowd" you will be able to enjoy the culture, reap the benefits of celebrations, community events, and so on. If you work hard and are part of the right crowd, leaders will go out of their way to appreciate you. However, you won't get a promotion unless someone in the "in crowd" really favors you or you put in long years. It's a good ole boy company and isn't changing.

Southwest is a great place to start if you aren't pursuing higher education. Many leaders only have a high school education and few with bachelor degrees. I believe the reason for that is many of the leaders started years ago and the good ole boy system worked for them. I believe Southwest tends to promote those without degrees so that they can keep salaries lower for their leaders that never attended college and their leaders stay with the company for long periods of time because no other company will want them without the degree. This keeps Southwest Airlines costs lower and keeps turn-over down as well. Southwest does however have a very good 401K match.

Cons

The leadership lacks higher education so don't expect them to value your higher education. The lack of educated leaders is the most frustrating part about working at Southwest. I expect my boss to understand concepts and data that I present to them. I actually expect my boss to not only understand the difficult concepts, I expect them to be able to teach me something I don't already know. Every leader I have come in contact with has difficulty with advanced concepts, but they also do not possess degrees beyond high school education. Why be innovative if the leaders can't either comprehend or entertain your ideas? As a result, I never felt challenged.

The pay was quite a bit lower than the nation-wide average for my job. Recently, I was offered positions at three other companies that paid between $20,000-$25,000 a year more than what I was making. I started off as a intern at Southwest and was offered a job with them. I stayed for three years and wanted to stay longer, but the company was underpaying me and couldn't challenge me. In fact, my Manager accidentally left a piece of paper in my cube with the salaries of everyone in my department. Some of the worst performers were making ridiculously good money and some of the best performers were making terrible money. The employees making the best money had been with the company 15 plus years and those making terrible money were newer employees. Talent and hard work was not rewarded.

When I turned in my two weeks notice, all of the leaders and fellow employees that were singing my praises turned ice cold. I realized that I had been accepted into the "in crowd" at some point and was possibly being groomed for a promotion years down the road. Once I turned in my notice, I felt how it was to no longer be in that crowd. Rumors started up about me, leaders and co-workers became icy or gave me the silent treatment. Leaders who once praised my stellar work started to act like it was shoddy. I lost a lot of people who I assumed were "friends". Turnover is really low at Southwest and it's considered almost offensive if you leave.

The last complaint I have with the company is headquarters disconnect with employees out in the field. I worked at headquarters and it was easy for me to see. The department I worked in should have been dispersed out into the field, but instead it was headquartered. This department lived in their own world and had little to no insight on the day-to-day happenings at the stations, yet it created all the rules the stations needed to follow. I truly believe in 5-7 years Southwest will go through bankruptcy due to several factors. I think they are putting band-aids on some issues that need desperate repair. The quarterly earnings might be doing good now, but the band-aids won't hold things together forever. I believe Southwest is headed for bankruptcy mostly because of the disconnect between management and the union, the isolation of headquarters, the lack of good quality leaders, and talent that continuously leaves because of reasons mentioned above. So sad.

Go back to school. If that's impossible, do whatever you can to pay people with education well and retain them. These people are going to be the ones who save the company. They have new, fresh ideas, are motivated, and work hard. Don't be scared to promote these people.

Best company to work for in all of Dallas!!

Current Employee - Director Technology  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director Technology in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome benefits
    Treats employees like family
    Great room for growth
    Overall, I cannot think of a better company to work for in all of Texas!!

Cons

Overall very good company
    The only thing would be to hire on more employees and less consultants. I think too many consultants have all the knowledge

Hire more full timers
    Don't rely on consultants as much

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Accomodating - Reasonably caters to the needs of workers.
    Family oriented - time off given to care for children. Family days on special holidays.
    Friendly work environment. Team outings, lunch, happy hours.
    Opportunity to work on different teams

Cons

Benefits are excellent, salary a little sub-par
    Limited work from home opportunity.
    Location is at Love Field, near downtown Dallas, so commuting from the suburbs is a drain.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!