Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews in Las Vegas, NV

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and environment to work.

Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosflexible work schedule, great pay and benefits

Conshave to adjust to working various schedules and being away from home

Not enough pay for the stress.

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsCulture, flight benefits, and sense of community

ConsOver worked and under payed, threats from passengers, pressure to perform while pushing for upgrades, low morale

Advice to Senior ManagementCelebrate hard work and avoid negative criticism, rotate positions to maintain skill levels, provide enough employees to cover the duties required to be performed.

Good and Bad experience on both ramp and inflight LAS/PHX/OAK

Ramp Agent Then Flight Attendant (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsWorked for SWA for 2 years. Loved the free flights and the pay was reasonable, the work kept me fit and I saw lots of the country. I'm also a private pilot and I love being around airplanes anyway. My husband and I flew to the UK twice in two months as we only had to pay the taxes. ($75 each) The ability to fly anywhere (albeit space available) was the most valuable thing to me. I used it very often; might feel like lunch in Oakland or dinner in San Diego or go visit the zoo, it was like catching a bus. The opportunities to advance were certainly there. I moved from the ramp to Inflight (flight attendant) within 14 months. Pay went up dramatically, afforded more opportunities.

ConsBullies on the ramp and in the air, backstabbing, you could never really tell who was your friend. On the ramp I was physically assaulted by a work colleague, threatened by another and yet management chose to ignore it. Filed an IR each time and was told "just stay out of his way" Lots of dead wood, folks who shouldn't be there and don't want to work. Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful. Cargo was also not treated well; "Caution live fish" or "Fragile" meant dump it off the baggage loader upside down. Inflight was better in certain ways, but if you are stuck with the crew from hell, those three days are miserable. Also an FA can be away from home 4 nights out of each week, that was too much for me. Got tired of reheated hotel food, string cheese and ramen noodles. Late arrivals in New Hampshire in winter while waiting for the crew bus which was invariably late was never fun. But my main issue was the mistrust between employees. They say "talk it out, don't write it up" but watch out for your supposed best buddy. They might just be filing a report on you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to some of the new employees. they could tell you things that you may not be aware of. Take complaints seriously, address the issues and don't be afraid of some of the union members who knew that had power and wielded it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company. Slowly changing, but not for the better

Airline Pilot (First Officer) (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGood pay, good schedule flexibility.

ConsSlow to grow, stuck in a rut.

Advice to Senior ManagementFinish up the labor contracts and treat your employees fairly.

Southwest is my 3rd airline and has been the best airline I have worked for.

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsVery flexible schedules and good pay.

ConsSlow seniority movement, no hiring has been announced.

The best airline out there

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsThe flexibility, stability and people rock!

ConsAirtran seniority integration was a huge let-down, commuting is very stressful and the trust of senior management is at a low.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale and trust need some work right now!

Great place to work wish they had pt

Ramp Agent (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFlight benifits
    Health insurance
    ot
    company treated there employees great
    give up work days to other employees and not get punished for it

Loved working there, I just wish they had part time so i could of stayed. I had to get another job because pay was so low i couldnt afford to survive. I could of given up my days to other employees but since they were so short and ot was so available you had to pay someone to take your days. Its not like that now they wre begging people for there scheds

Consstarting pay was really low
    had to get days off
    when i worked there they were really busy and short handed so mandatory ot even if you didnt want it
    didnt have pt because they were so busy and short

Still a good company but facing some serious issues

Captain (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt can still be an enjoyable place to work although not like it was ten or fifteen years ago. Compensation and Benefits are better than Industry average at this time. Most employees still go out of their way to help each other out. The atmosphere is mostly positve for the most part.

ConsThe level of cost cutting is becoming very apparent out in the field and it is not a good trend. If you are honest about some of the issues facing Southwest then some of Management brands you as a "malcontent". The Company is not as progressive as it could be in alot of areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou had better pay attention to what is going on out at the stations because the Customer Experience is beginning to really show issues and this is the only thing we have to offer. i.e. no first class, entertainment etc

Positively Outstanding Company to work for!

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat benefits, great pay, flexible work schedule...this is a great company to work for. I am very happy and proud to say I work for Southwest Airlines.

Conscan't thank of any at this time...I am very happy working for Southwest Airlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't think of anything at this time...I am very happy working for Southwest Airlines.

Great company; could be even better.

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFun, big family atmosphere. Good benefits. Flexibility in work schedule. Growing, profitable airline; so there are opportunities. In my department, inflight, they do a great job in hiring. I meet and work with the most interesting, fun and slightly quirky people.

ConsMid-level management sometimes not that impressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on preserving company culture and make sure that you and lower level management aren't just talking the talk about the golden rule, but walking the walk.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!