Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

4.1

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Business Consultant

Former Employee - Business Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, Personal Growth, Culture, Pride of working for this company, Perks. Plenty of reasons why I loved this company and my job

Cons

Compensation could be better, Promotions are very hard to get and reserved to help other tenured employees

Excellent Company to work for.

Former Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Ramp Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can move up in the company and grow your career with all the different opportunities every day.

Cons

They change procedures for operations very often, so its very hard to feel comfortable with the techniques of work.

Good people to work with

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people and working environment. Good infrastructure for the working environment. Job security, very good management, fun activities around the clock, best health benefits.

Cons

It would be great to have pay complement all other factors in PROS.

Identify opportunities to improve pay for employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fun

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Culture fun loving servants heart

Cons

Not getting many days off unless you want to work multiple doubles in a row

Great company that has many values. The workers make it great.

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits are cheap, unionized.

Cons

clashing between union members, management and company.

Great

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

A Company that truly does care

Cons

Odd shifts, constantly changing schedules, low man on poll gets shaft

I've worked as a pilot at 3 Major Airlines and Southwest is the only airline that treats its employees as an asset.

Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer)  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Positive work environment created by a healthy working relationship between management and labor. Outstanding benefits and great job security.

Cons

Preserving the 'corporate culture' is becoming more and more difficult as we become larger and the company hierarchy expands.

Negotiate contracts on time or we too will become like the 'legacy' airlines who experience tempestuous dealings with their labor groups

My experience at SWA has been constant additions to my job duty without proper training nor pay increase.

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best reason to work for SWA is the flexibility of hours. You can work as much or as little as you wish. Flight benefits, if you are lucky to find an open seat, and have the extra cash to travel.

Cons

Personal growth is extremely limited unless you are well liked by leadership and/or are willing to constantly relocate to different stations. The leadership within the stations are improperly trained, at times lazy and cannot think outside the box. Company values have drastically changed, once praised for having a unique personality and vision, now we must follow policy and procedure or but subjected to verbal and written warnings.

Consider allowing your employee some autonomy. Trust they are doing the right thing for the customer who writes our checks. Give them a contract they can be proud of and that allows them to grow your business over time. Grow and develop management over time. Weed out those who do not perform. Be accountable. Be the Herb and Colleen vision of SWA.

It's a job, not a career.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

401k match, free flying if you can get on. The pay is not too bad if you are only a high school graduate. If you have a higher education, you are not going to want to stay for long. If you don't mind moving, there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

There are serious issues at the station I work at. Our station manager is trying to thin the herd by having unrealistic expectations of what we can get done in eight hours with the shoddy equipment we have available. On the job injuries are at an all-time high. Management is not willing to look at alternate ways to get things done, but insists it be done the "Southwest way" even though other methods are more effective. Technology is outdated and behind other airlines. Management team in place is ineffective. Management is more concerned with what the employees are wearing than with keeping us from heat-related illness and repetitive stress injuries. Turn times are not realistic for today's travelers with multiple pieces of luggage.

Get out of the corporate office and in the field more. Consider an "Undercover Boss' type thing. How can you know what is going on on the front line if you never see the battlefield? Consider using technological advances such as RFID tags to count luggage to have accurate weight and balance of aircraft. Buy some more ground equipment. Weed out the ineffective management, not the front-line employees, we are already spread too thin.

It's fun, but not very good.

I worked at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Laid back culture. You get to have fun.

Cons

Workforce is not the brightest. The company hires consultants to do most of the work. "Good" leaders are leaders who do exactly what their bosses want. They aren't very intelligent.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!