Southwest Airlines

Updated February 28, 2015
4.3

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 48 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to advance, great benefits, generally nice friendly employees (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Newbies get worked hard, put on gates with the undesirables and the mandatory overtime was awful (in 23 reviews)

• the worst thing is terrible work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Worth an experience if you don't have the expectations of full-time conversion of your internship

Current Intern - Flight Operations Engineering in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Flight Operations Engineering in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as an intern

Pros

The Perks!!! Free flights to anywhere in the U.S (they have also added Mexico recently). Casual work atmosphere, work hard-party hard culture, friendly & helpful people around, great location

Cons

My position specifically lacked technical challenges. The internship management could be much better and they communicate less frequently during the application process (understandable due to the number of applications)

Give some thought to resource management. Interns can be placed in departments more relevant to their skill set.

Even in a rather volatile industry this company has been a safe haven of stability for me.

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Flight privileges, profit sharing, ESOP, generous 401(k) matching, good medical insurance program.

Cons

Mandatory overtime, no management input bottom up.

Awesome company!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities and definitely a fun place to work. They definitely invest in keeping you happy and you can feel that as you walk in.

Cons

On the corporate side, I don't see alot of diversity (specifically African- Americans) among mid- high level leadership.

Southwest is a company that can offer you a long and meaningful career.

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by great people who are fun to work with. The senior Leadership has a great shared vision that I agree with and support. A great benefits package some awesome privileges like travel on Southwest.

Cons

The departments tend to be siloed and it make it hard to get things done at times. With such a significant Union influence at times change can be slow and not always make sense.

Top Company

I have been working at Southwest Airlines part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

plenty of jobs and opportunity to work wherever you want. The BEST benefits anywhere.

Cons

Not all supervisors or managers are really qualified or experienced. Dpnt know know how ro properly handle the workforce.

Great Work Culture

Current Contractor - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture, lot of opportunities to grow, fun activities all around the year, Deck parties on every Monday with beer snacks and Prizes. Flight benefits.

Cons

In some departments work from home is not encouraged. Cafeteria is open only for a specific time slot and doesnt have too many options and is crazily expensive. So if feel hungry before or after the lunch hours you will have to drive out of the campus to get some food.

Great Company, Best Co-Workers Ever!

Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working airline. Lots of fun. Teamwork. Profit sharing, 401K, health benefits. People, People, People. Really great people.

Cons

Mergers are challenging. There are always issues. You have to make the best of something you have no control over. Commuting to work is a rough way to live.

A lot of what you read on Glassdoor is glowing hype by the company

Current Employee - Captain in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Captain in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are senior - you've been through a lot of contracts- so the money is good- but not great- lines to fly- are terrible.

Cons

Where do I begin? A lot of what you read on Glassdoor is company hype -as SW has an ENTIRE room devoted to scanning social media to flood the world with their cult kool aid. If they deem this review "negative"- they'll post 5 happy glowing reviews- at least 5 a week saying how FANTASTIC it is to work there. A joke. Having worked there for 28 years, I can tell you - senior people are NOT feeling the kumbaya, yet the comapany continues to flood the world with its "oh we're all so happy here' nonsense. We are not. Pilots-flight attendants, ramp, operations and perhaps the mechanics - all have contracts up and we all haven't had a raise in a long time, while the company reaps record earnings- and top management has given themselves mega (millions) bonuses. The CEO is clueless about life out on the line and has said, his ONLY concern is the return to the shareholders- so forget rank and file. It's quite obvious they he feels about us and it shows.
    The operation has lots of issues and management doesn't get it or want to hear it, resulting for major frustration for front line employees. The OTP is tanking -Advice? listen to the front line employees- they do it ALL and many have excellent insight - have the courage to listen to both the positive ~ and the negative.- and make the needed changes.

Get out- fly the line and WATCH the operation- stop with the kool aid nonsense....that does NOT increase morale. Solving problems on the line does. Back up your employees and empower them to make decisions to get the operation back on time. All top management KNOWS the morale is tanking and they are totally clueless about what to do. This is very very obvious to rank and file. Wake up guys- we know it- we can see it.

Okay

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Good benefits and good people

Cons

If you aren't in a union or in an ops department, the pay is 20% below market pay.

Slow the stock repurchases and invest in your people and technology.

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Free flights, 401k match, profit sharing, awesome health benefits, fun organizational culture. Overall a fantastic company to work for.

Cons

Low pay, overtime, mandatory overtime, work weekends and holidays around the clock.

Southwest Airlines Photos