Southwest Airlines Reviews

Reset
4.1
Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • The flight benefits are the best too (in 48 reviews)

• Great benefits with lots of career opportunities (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory overtime can be very tough and rampant depending how staffed your station is (in 23 reviews)

• the worst thing is terrible work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Awesome so far

Current Employee - Ramp Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

A solid company, room to advance, they embrace creativity and innovation, benefits and flexible work schedules with OT opportunities.

Cons

Haven't found any yet and I can't imagine I will find any that will send me running from this company. It has to many perks!

Advice to Management

Continue to lead by example!

20 plus year Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Airlines (More than 10 years)

Pros

This Company truly IS the best place to work. I have seen this Company take care of Employees like they were members of their own families. There are open doors everywhere and what you do with your career is only limited by you. The rate of promotion from within is amazing. The culture is what WE as Employees make it and while the industry has changed, the Culture has not. This is the most stable, fun company you will ever work for. Work hard and play hard.

Cons

I couldn't be more grateful for the time I have spent here. I have given 100% from day 1 and hope to stay for another 20!!

Advice to Management

Keep securing our future

Freight agent

Current Employee - Freight Agent
    Current Employee - Freight Agent

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Southwest is a fun-loving, employee oriented company that offers so many opportunities in many areas. Sky's the limit, literally.

Cons

Most of the jobs are shift work and new hires will get the least desirable schedules; nights, weekends and holidays. Gotta start somewhere!

Advice to Management

Management is open to everyone. Southwest offers management classes for free for those interested. Management isn't protected under union guidelines; so your at the mercy of the company when it comes to changing your job duties.

5. Great company - limited career opportunity as an intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Southwest has such wonderful people. I swear everyone takes a happy pill in the morning. The benefits are unbeatable (for full-timers) and free flights are.... well, free flights. No words needed. I really enjoy coming to work and LUV it here.

Cons

As a post grad intern, I figured it was worth the risk to try and gain full-time employment. The problem with this company is that they are continuing to do the things the way they always have because half the employees are old and have been here 20+ years which in turn means they are in management. The worst (and best) thing about Southwest is company turn over is SO low. Therefore, there are literally no jobs (unless you're in the technology department) that are offered other than Customer Relations where you work weekends and horrible hours. So don't go in having your hopes high that you will have full-time employment in your field of interest because that's just not going to happen. Plus, if you go into Customer Relations, you HAVE TO stay in that department for a year and a half before you can even try to do something that actually interests you. Airlines run of super thin margins and because of that, they don't have the money to staff as many people as they need.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Internal Auditor

Current Employee - Senior Auditor/Auditor II in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor/Auditor II in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules are offered, which are very nice to have. The audit subjects are very diverse, making the work more interesting. The company as a whole really makes great decisions that cater to a very diverse mindset (i.e. not leaning toward any one single personality type).

Cons

The company as a whole is becoming much less FUN. This used to be a large part of what made the company tick, but the push to become more efficient has squeezed out quite a bit of this. Related to this, the culture is becoming much more professional in that a lot of leaders have begun to take themselves too seriously, which is against our general leadership guidance.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourselves seriously and build a bench. Be clear in your expectations by providing an intent with goals so that we can all remain on the same page.

Intern

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

1. people in southwest are very nice. 2. free flight

Cons

far away from my home

8. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Aeronautical Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment, good pay and benefits, friendly employees, lots of extra-curricular activities.

Cons

AMFA union causes problems for many people in the company.

9. Would have liked to stay if I could have moved up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are excellent, including 401K matching, profit sharing, health insurance, and not to mention flying for free. I also enjoyed working with some really great people and will miss my co-workers.

Cons

Nearly impossible to move up in the company. I was passed up for multiple promotion opportunities that were given to less experienced people. I came to Southwest as part of the AirTran acquisition and my years of leadership experience at AirTran were dismissed because it wasn't Southwest experience.

Advice to Management

Reconsider promotion procedures to avoid losing some talented people that want to be a part of the Southwest family

10. Flight Attendant

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best airline to work for in the world.

Cons

Always busy, but always worth it. Exactly like running the Boston Marathon, need to learn to pace yourself. Steady wins the race.

Interesting place

Current Employee - Time Keeping in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Time Keeping in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, open workspace and weekly happy hour parties. Most people are very enthusiastic about working for this company and appear happy and bubbly.

Cons

Very hard to advance, especially in an 'entry level' position. If you have the right connections you will go far, but if you just do your job you will stay in the same position. No annual raise unless you score high on your evaluation and that is determined by your supervisor. A lot of people are blinded by the atmosphere and drank way too much of the koolaid to improve on the processes and actually appreciate their employees.

Advice to Management

Move and promote those who work hard and don't need daily praise. If morale is low find a way to communicate directly with your group and see what solutions you can come up with together instead of ignoring your high turnover rate. Pay your employees fairly for what they are doing and they will stick around.

RSS Feed </> Embed