Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros:
  • "Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime"
    in 22 reviews
  • "The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Director

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSouthwest gives its employees opportunities to grow and excel. The Company recognizes the strength of its people and has established a culture that understands that in order to take care of its customers, it must first take care of its employees. Southwest expects hard work and productivity. In return it offers amazing benefits, incredible celebrations and financial stability that is unmatched in the airline (or any other customer service industry). No layoffs, $228 mil profit sharing this year (double over last year) and an incredible company 401(k) match, it is hard to find a more employee-centric place.

ConsThere are employees within Southwest that don't understand that in order to grow you have to be willing to change as a Company evolves. No Company can stay the same and expect to remain competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to communicate, communicate, communicate.

Great place to work, very focused on the employee and keeping them happy.

Senior Manager Tech Ops Division (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFamily friendly, employee friendly, great benefits, great working environment, great co workers who care about others, will empower you to make choices, and will allow you to step outside your area of expertise and learn.

ConsManagement focus can sometimes be "Squirrel!" Always chasing after the latest and greatest lately. I realize we need to change, but look for the goal, rather than chasing 100 goals to see which one is right.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt the Director level and VP level, you are to absent. We never see you guys anymore.

great

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Prosvery employee oriented great place to work

Consnone great company just preparing for a great future

Best Internship Program!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are awesome and they have great employee benefits

ConsThey have lost some of their unique and quirky personality traits

Southwest Airlines is an amazing employer that cares for its employees.

Staffing Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWonderful people, amazing benefits, and a fun work environment.

ConsTechnology constraints seem to hold us back at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue growth plan and invest in your technology.

Solid company

Technical Writer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPhenomenal corporate culture; fun; professional; stable

ConsAdvancement, which is comes quick for many, isn't guaranteed for those who are solid/exceptional performers.

Great benefits; Culture is trending downhill

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, 9% 401K match, Profitsharing, I have a good work-life balance.

ConsWorked my butt off when I started here for the first 4 years; didn't receive any promotion or ingrade. Really horrible to see everyone else get promoted just for doing their job when I was going above and beyond. The culture is changing; they are hiring more people for "smarts". These newbies don't appreciate what culture means to SWA. Also, leadership isn't diversified; lots of caucasians up at the top (men and women). People don't even say hi to you in the hallways anymore...just unfriendly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease recognize your hardest workers before you lose them to other companies. You are becoming a "legacy" and this is not good. You are losing what defined Southwest when it started.

Just OK

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

ProsStrong Union, Good benefits, flight and travel benefits, good insurance, generous 401K match, profit sharing, fun company events

Conspay could be better, mandatory overtime sometimes messes up plans, union contract already expired without a new contract in place, sometimes hard to use flight benefits because of full flights

Don't believe the hype

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them. Salary is OK but below average.

ConsSouthwest Airlines is becoming Outsource Airlines, at least for the Technology area at headquarters. Leadership is poor and they are putting the final nails in the coffin of the SWA culture. They only pay lip service to supporting their employees. Perks have disappeared rapidly over the late couple years. They ask for feedback and when it is all negative, they inform you that they are telling you to do it and not asking (so why ask for feedback in the first place). They say they are moving to industry standards but only cherry pick the part of "standards" they want to enforce and ignore the other factors that go along with it that makes it work for other companies. SWA is fast becoming an industry follower and not a leader. The principals in the book about SWA, "Nuts!", is being thrown out the window and it's not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually listening to your employees and stop letting the bean counters run the company.

Great Company, Great Benefits, Super Company Culture

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA well run company that is fiscally responsible, provides job security, great benefits, cares about its employees and tries to do the right thing for employees, customers and stockholders. Work life balance is good. Overall a great place to work.

ConsJust like any large corporation there is an abundance of office politics that can trip you up and cause you problems. Career advancement is there but requires a reliance on who you know and how brown your nose is. Reliance on contractors and consultants will be a problem in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more feedback from line level employees. They are in the trenches everyday and can provide you with more insight that any report from a manager or director.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Airlines CEO Gary C. Kelly. All 391 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Airlines employees.