Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them(in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime(in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay(in 11 reviews)

Ground Ops

Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsOverall a great company to work for. Founding father Herb Kellerher was an awesome visionary and well respected leader. His principles always centered around his people and SWA as a "family". Benefits and pay are great.

ConsAs the company grows and Leadership changes more mainstream, the culture and morale have been impacted. Contract negotiations have stalled and slowly benefits are being cut back. More part time and contract work is being implemented. Work hours can be challenging.

Best company to work for in all of Dallas!!

Director Technology (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAwesome benefits
    Treats employees like family
    Great room for growth
    Overall, I cannot think of a better company to work for in all of Texas!!

ConsOverall very good company
    The only thing would be to hire on more employees and less consultants. I think too many consultants have all the knowledge

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full timers
    Don't rely on consultants as much

Great company to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAccomodating - Reasonably caters to the needs of workers.
    Family oriented - time off given to care for children. Family days on special holidays.
    Friendly work environment. Team outings, lunch, happy hours.
    Opportunity to work on different teams

ConsBenefits are excellent, salary a little sub-par
    Limited work from home opportunity.
    Location is at Love Field, near downtown Dallas, so commuting from the suburbs is a drain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An AWSOME company to work for!

Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThey celebrate their successes with their employees (company wide). They use their own employees for marketing purposes (commercials, t-shirts, internet, credit union ads ).

ConsIn the past 5 years, the culture is not holding up to the Southwest Airlines Brand.

good

Ramp (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Prosgreat benefits and you get to fly.

Conshave to wait for new contract with union.

SWA

ProsFun Flight attendants that love their jobs

ConsNot enough people to load their bags

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people

Great place to sharpen career skills

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEndles work and complex problems to solve

ConsEndless work and complex problems to solve

Advice to Senior Managementstrive for sustainability

Great atmosphere and culture!

ProsYou really feel valued as an intern, no fetching coffee or making copies! You're doing work in your field with others who really love what they do. The internship program is great, the pay is awesome, the deck parties are fun, and the flight benefits make for a semester unlike any other. Treat this program like a job interview and you're on the right track.

ConsWhile jobs do open and a lot of interns are hired, some departments are tougher to get into than others. Flying around every weekend means it can be hard to meet other interns. There aren't enough intern events hosted by SWA.

The job is what you make of it and the opportunities are endless!

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIf you get burned out with the current job you can always change jobs and stay with the same Company!

ConsHappiness is a choice and some people are not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for trying so hard to make Southwest stay successful.

Southwest Airlines is a job where on every Friday you can't wait to go back on Monday.

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery very flexible and the leadership is truly awesome. Working for Southwest has truly been a wonderful experience. This is a company that really takes care of it's employees. The benefits you and your family receive are second to none. Southwest Airlines is a company where you are truly compensated for you hard work.

ConsThe Pros at this company will always out weigh the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you take care of your employee, your employees will always take care of you.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!