Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

3.8

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Chaotic, fast paced development environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good people, fun work environment, casual setting, they really do care about people and the community. There are a lot of passionate people to help ignite your own passion.

Cons

If you really just want to do a job and go home you do not always fit in as well as if you spend a lot of social time with workers.

Incredible company to work for!

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Burbank, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule, AWESOME benefit package, best pay in the industry!

Cons

Working holidays and having to stay late for delayed flights. Being yelled at by customers, for things clearly out of your control.

Don't forget that you most likely came up through the ranks, be kind and offer support to the 'front line troops!'

Good Financial Stability

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Well what can i say? Nice company to work for. Good financial stability - the company won't be going under anytime soon. Good job perks

Cons

Rude customers - but whatever airline you works for you are going to get those few who find it necessary to make a big deal out of everything!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty awesome

Current Employee - Customer Support and Service  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Support and Service in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Good environment, very positive culture.
    Employees brag about how long they've worked there, rather be ashamed.
    Ample opportunity for advancement if motivated/inclined
    good benefits
    union positions in a "right to work" state ensures good treatment of employees.

Cons

mandatory overtime, feeling lost in the crowd. starting pay is fairly low, but after time becomes much better than other similar positions.

find more ways to keep existing employees motivated, several employees view their sick leave as entitlement to take off when they aren't sick. The culture is very friendly, but sometimes seems stagnant regarding performance. Also realize that the employees are human, 60+ hour work weeks are rough on a person, as they are on a budget. Better staffing forcasting/hiring practices could be a win-win for the company and the employees.

Great Company To Be A Part Of

Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer)  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot (First Officer) in Chicago, IL

Pros

I continue to be amazed at how much I enjoy working here. Like everyone else we have our ups and downs but the ups far outweigh the downs. It's hard to leave the family week after week to fly around the country but the people I work with here makes it all worth it when you have to go to work. Southwest is a family in itself and I am happy to contribute to continue to make this a great place to work. I watch fellow employees take the bull by the horns to resolve problems and truly go out of their way to make people happy. Southwest has lived by the golden rule in their dealings with me and it makes it easy to go out of your way to provide the best customer service when you feel like you are part of the company that treats people right and not just an employee.

Cons

The aviation industry has always been filled with uncertainty and as such Southwest is not immune to the forces affecting every airline. With that being said I have to put my trust in the leadership of the company to make the right choices and if the right people are not put in the right jobs our culture could slowly disappear. So the Con would be that the future of the company depends on our leadership and our employees to maintain our culture and as of today I believe it is happening but it remains to be seen if we can continue to pull it off year after year. I know I will try my hardest to keep the culture alive, but will all those around me not... "lose that luving feeling?"

Go all out and do whatever it takes to make the AirTran transition a smooth one. I know how Southwest treated me when I was new here and I hope the AirTran folks will feel the LUV because all of our futures depend on it. We can be an unstoppable power house if this goes well and I can't wait to see and be a part of Southwest five (or 25) years from now.

Great company!

Current Employee - Flight Attendant  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Burbank, CA

Pros

Co-workers, definitely the co-workers. Just a bunch of great people. Good supervisors, too. And overall, a good place to work.

Cons

Working on holidays is often difficult and stressful. People are cranky, they want to get home for Christmas, it's just rough.

Keep up the good work! Keep open dialogue with employees, maintain the spirit of fun at Southwest and keep on flying.

I've worked in 100+ Fortune 500 companies and it doesn't get any better than Southwest Airlines.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

Pros

It's really all about the people. Lot's of employers say that but SWA lives it every day. They treat you the way you want to be treated and they expect the same in return. This trickles down to every person in the company and is passed on to all of our great customers. SWA is a way of life and not just an employer.

Cons

Unfortunately, I'm in a specific management chain that isn't great in terms of feedback, I haven't had a mid-year review in nearly 3 years and there is never any feedback about doing a good job. There isn't any negative feedback either but it would be nice to have your work recognized once in a while instead of just taken for granted.

Make sure that the management objectives and style of senior leaders makes it down to ALL the trenches. Sometimes it seems like IT is left out because we don't fly, schedule, maintain, board, bag handle or customer interface even though ALL of these efforts now rely heavily on IT. In spite of that, I've worked and consulted in nearly 100 Fortune 500 shops and SWA is still the best place I've every worked.

Great Company, But lacks some.....

Former Employee - Operations Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Agent in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

I had a great experience with Southwest Airlines the company really likes its employees and shows in the company spirit. The benefits, flight passes were very very good!! for the most part the co workers I had were great to work with, and have fun along with a good group of employees. The opportunity to move around the system to other airports and cities is really exciting and the company does like to allow you to make such moves.

Cons

There however is some downsides I experienced, the management doesn't communicate well with the employees, and hides a lot of information that is useful to the employees until the last minute, and then like to play the "blame game" with the employees. There is also a lot of "setting up to fail" that the company does to employees. Not a lot of help with management assisting employees wanting to promote, unless you part of the "In" team.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!