Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly

Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Network Planning Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood environment. Coworkers are very nice to interns! You can handle practical projects and learn a lot of new stuff from it. Unlimited flight privilege. there are many activities for interns, including career services. So this is an ideal company for new graduates.

ConsNo cons I can think of. Maybe the pay is a little bit lower than other companies. 12 dollars per hour

Wonderful! Very relaxed and conversational

Flight Attendant (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsEmployee and customer oriented. Very friendly and warm people

ConsVery fast paced, lots of last minute changes

Southwest is one of the best domestic airlines when it comes to company culture.

CSA (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosflexible schedule, travel benefits, insurance plans, 401k, great company culture and events for a good work-life balance.

ConsIn the Dallas station in particular the biggest con was Love Field itself... the station was so old it was very cramped and the AC didnt work well in Summer and Heat didnt work in winter but I am sure all of that has now been resolved with the building of the new terminals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top Notch Employer

Repairs (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsMany new and exciting changes are on the horizon for Southwest. If you can, jump on board for the ride.

ConsEnterprise software is outdated and needs upgrades.

Best company to work for in all of Dallas!!

Director Technology (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsAwesome benefits
    Treats employees like family
    Great room for growth
    Overall, I cannot think of a better company to work for in all of Texas!!

ConsOverall very good company
    The only thing would be to hire on more employees and less consultants. I think too many consultants have all the knowledge

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more full timers
    Don't rely on consultants as much

Great atmosphere and culture!

ProsYou really feel valued as an intern, no fetching coffee or making copies! You're doing work in your field with others who really love what they do. The internship program is great, the pay is awesome, the deck parties are fun, and the flight benefits make for a semester unlike any other. Treat this program like a job interview and you're on the right track.

ConsWhile jobs do open and a lot of interns are hired, some departments are tougher to get into than others. Flying around every weekend means it can be hard to meet other interns. There aren't enough intern events hosted by SWA.

Great place to sharpen career skills

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEndles work and complex problems to solve

ConsEndless work and complex problems to solve

Advice to Senior Managementstrive for sustainability

The job is what you make of it and the opportunities are endless!

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsIf you get burned out with the current job you can always change jobs and stay with the same Company!

ConsHappiness is a choice and some people are not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for trying so hard to make Southwest stay successful.

Southwest Airlines is a job where on every Friday you can't wait to go back on Monday.

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsVery very flexible and the leadership is truly awesome. Working for Southwest has truly been a wonderful experience. This is a company that really takes care of it's employees. The benefits you and your family receive are second to none. Southwest Airlines is a company where you are truly compensated for you hard work.

ConsThe Pros at this company will always out weigh the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you take care of your employee, your employees will always take care of you.

Amazing company with amazing values.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company treats their people with respect and a sense of caring that is unparalleled. Cannot put a price on not feeling like just another number in a company of this size.

ConsNot the highest of paying jobs. But, what it lacks in salary it makes up for in culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work with communication.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!