Southwest Airlines Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

4.4

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A dream come true

Current Employee - Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent for Southwest Airlines in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

I am convinced that there is NO better job on earth than the job I currently have as a ramp agent for Southwest Airlines. Not to be confused with a ramp agent for any other airline. As Southwest ramp agents we enjoy one of the absolute best compensation packages on earth, bullet proof job security (Southwest being the most healthy airline in the country as well as a union shop), and the greatest company culture and work atmosphere there is. As a senior agent I earn $26 an hour, have what amounts to 7 weeks paid vacation a year, fly free, have top notch medical for practically free, have a dynamic schedule that I can pick and choose my hours and off days, have the ability to pick up and relocate to any of Southwest's 69 cities, receive both 401k dollar for dollar match as well as profit sharing, the ability to work overtime at will which has allowed me to essentially double my annual income (I've made as much as $83,000 a year), and I work a job that is downright fun and exciting.

Cons

It's definitely not for everyone. It takes a certain type of individual who is able to handle the type of work that you'll be expected to do. You'll face adversity in the form of weather, high volume, time constraints, long hours, and responsibility. In other words you'll have essentially 20 minutes to connect ground services, position ground equipment to the plane, load over 100 bags and thousands of pounds of freight, do so in a weight and balance friendly manner, act as the last line of defense as far as making sure the plane is sealed and ready for flight, then take command of a 40 million dollar aircraft and move it from the gate out onto the taxi way via a push back tug vehicle. That's the job in a nutshell. If you're up for it, or if you're like me and actually LUV the work, you're going to be a very happy person.

Keep up the good work.

Great Company... a great atmosphere to work in!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The company spirit is excellent! You will have a great time with your employees and senior management is superior to any other airline out there.

Cons

The pay isn't as competitive as I would like it to be, though their benefits package tends to make up for the lower pay.

Keep up the great work! You've got a great culture that's been built at SWA. Stick with what works for SWA!

Project Mgr Review

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Good team
    Great support from peers and management

Cons

Better training in business understanding

Feedback on performance is not timely

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Satisfied

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

There is an excellent corporate culture!

Cons

Little job advancement. Stagnant growth in my field of expertise.

Some leaders are incompetent, others are beyond excellent. Our department is currently working on a strategy to level the playing field and I'm extremely grateful.

Satisfied employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

The benefits are good, the work culture and people are also very enjoyable to work with. It's not a stuffy environment and generally speaking it's pretty easy going most of the time. Most people who work here stay for long periods of time because of the culture and benefits.

Cons

The company culture can be, at times, a little unprofessional. The salaries tend to be a little below market value and even though the health benefits are really good, the opportunity to advance within the company often seems to be more about popularity than actual job performance.

Management should look at the needs of their employees and realize that in order to grow and have better employees, perhaps there should be more opportunities to grow within the company. Take away the policy of using sick leave (that is a benefit) affecting promotion status, it's ridiculous, sometimes you get sick during the year, it shouldn't keep someone from being able to move into a new internal position or being promoted.

LUV SWA, But Don't Get Hurt

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Flexible schedule, free flight benefits, 401K match, fun employees. Health care if you need it was good.

Cons

Some of the overtime rules were not good, for example; you could close at night getting out after midnight and be forced in for mandatory overtime at 6am, or mandatory OT day after day! The worst is getting hurt on the job.They really don't do anything to help you keep your job. I could not lift anymore. as a result, no job. They would not allow me to do a part of the job at the gate area that required no lifting. It is a true shame because I truly loved my job as a Customer Service Agent and I miss my co-workers and customers who end up being like family. I would definately work for Southwest Airlines again if given the opportunity, perhaps as a reservation agent!!!

Don't turn your back on those employess who gave you many years of excellent Customer Service. Make sure you have a plan to assist us, which you don't offer now. I would gladly come back to assist you in creating a program to help the injured worker...

The only other thing I would say is to kkep up the good work Southwest, I miss you terribly!

Southwest Airlines Internship Review

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Great people, really awesome benefits for interns, a fun place to work, great organized intern activities, casual dress, opportunities to come back and work upward in the company, best place I've worked.

Cons

Dallas might not be your preferred city to live in, the pay is not high compared with internships with other Fortune 500 companies, and unfortunately I was there during the worst of the recession so there was a hiring freeze.

Keep up the good work! I had a great supervisor who really cared about my experience there and also about me having fun and traveling, which was a great perk. This is a wonderful place to intern, and I know, I've had a few other internships with big companies.

very good place to work you do have to work hard ..but you also have time between flights for down time (rest eat etc)

Current Employee - Ramp Agent  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Ramp Agent in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

good people at our level willingness to step in and help you good ,pay after you`ve been there awhile ,great benefits and diversity of job never know what you will be doing or where

Cons

have you heard of the (Peter Princible) sp for upper managment that says it all

listen to your frontline people they have been there some of you have .but sooooooooo long ago times they are a`changing

Great place to work as long as you are outside of Technology.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines

Pros

Great flight and insurance benefits. Best place to work if you need job security.

Cons

Technology management is clueless and does not have a vision for the future. Most big projects are outsourced since Technology has a lot of old mainframe type guys sticking around who do very little.

Job security is great but not at the cost of the company. Cut those who don't want to learn or push the business in the right direction. Gary needs to cut almost all of the Technology Leadership ranks. Stop hiring from Pepsi, EDS and Feld Group. These people are dragging us down.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!