Southwest Airlines

Updated September 9, 2014
4.0

Southwest Airlines Chairman, President & CEO Gary C. Kelly
Gary C. Kelly

Pros
  • Good health benefits, great 401k matching, good flight benefits if you can use them (in 42 reviews)

• Great benefits - health care, flight benefits, 401K matching, etc (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • The station where I worked was always understaffed so a lot of mandatory overtime (in 22 reviews)

• The benefits include free (space available travel) and relatively low pay (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful

Former Employee - Intern  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, employees were great!

Cons

Nothing! I have nothing bad to say about SWA.

A young company gradually getting old

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The spirit of an underdog, lowering its head to struggle to improve itself. Its humbleness and willingness to constantly better itself.

Cons

The gradual disappearance of the spirit. People start thinking it's the largest domestic company, and making the environment more AA-like, if you know what I mean.

20 years at Southwest Airlines

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Though the company has grown tremendously, they make a big effort to maintain the company culture. They have a University for People that offers great leadership classes and compensation seems on par with other large corporations. The benefits are great!!

Cons

The Technology department is always going through tremendous change as the company grows. The employees are under constant stress trying to keep up with all the projects.

It's disappointing how many jobs have been outsourced to India.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The People, Culture and benefits are great

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People are friendly and helpful. The Culture fosters hard work and fun. My dentist commented, "You have better dental benefits than I do!" The benefits are awesome! The freedom to grow and develop as an indiviual are great

Cons

As the Company is growing, it ix getting harder to hold on to the Culture. Keeping the Culture from changing a great deal will be a challenge.

Don't let the Culture die or change for the worse!

Great Company, Great People !!

Current Employee - Customer Representative  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Southwest Airlines part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great culture and great benefits

Cons

Hard to advance in the company.

Great people on the business side but IT is very "average"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great business and leadership from Gary Kelly and the business people of SWA. They really do walk the walk. The people working at the airports, flight and maintenance are TOP notch and will go out of their way to make SWA successful every time!

Cons

Unfortunately once you transition to IT..the culture ends and your dealing with all the same issues as any IT service company. Nothing "special" and little to no opportunity to grow outside your job title.

end the legacy approach to management of you people and technology. Some of this is underway with the new CIO..so there is hope!

Good, but needs improvement

Current Employee - CSA
    Current Employee - CSA

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I LOVE the people we come into contact every day with and love being part of a wonderful airline, the top in the industry! The flight benefits are the best too.

Cons

As employee friendly as SWA says they are, their 6 month probationary period has no wiggle room, unless you are friends with management. They don't care if a new employee is in a car accident, spouse has a heart attack, child in the hospital, if you aren't at work or late it is counted against you and you can lose your job no matter how great of an employee you were. We saw this happen at our station a couple of years ago. Very sad.

Work-life balance should be a higher priority. People shouldn't be in a true emergency and have to be worried about losing their job or having points against them.

Crazy and unstructured

I have been working at Southwest Airlines as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The work in the technology area is very interesting with complex problems and projects. The infrastructure is being upgraded but over the tools are poor.

Cons

While they say this is a consensus based organization I think that leads to bullying in the meeting room when trying to make a decisions.

Enforce guidelines and make a decision once in a while

Great benefits; Culture is trending downhill

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, 9% 401K match, Profitsharing, I have a good work-life balance.

Cons

Worked my butt off when I started here for the first 4 years; didn't receive any promotion or ingrade. Really horrible to see everyone else get promoted just for doing their job when I was going above and beyond. The culture is changing; they are hiring more people for "smarts". These newbies don't appreciate what culture means to SWA. Also, leadership isn't diversified; lots of caucasians up at the top (men and women). People don't even say hi to you in the hallways anymore...just unfriendly.

Please recognize your hardest workers before you lose them to other companies. You are becoming a "legacy" and this is not good. You are losing what defined Southwest when it started.

Director

Former Employee - Director  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Southwest Airlines full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Southwest gives its employees opportunities to grow and excel. The Company recognizes the strength of its people and has established a culture that understands that in order to take care of its customers, it must first take care of its employees. Southwest expects hard work and productivity. In return it offers amazing benefits, incredible celebrations and financial stability that is unmatched in the airline (or any other customer service industry). No layoffs, $228 mil profit sharing this year (double over last year) and an incredible company 401(k) match, it is hard to find a more employee-centric place.

Cons

There are employees within Southwest that don't understand that in order to grow you have to be willing to change as a Company evolves. No Company can stay the same and expect to remain competitive.

Make sure to communicate, communicate, communicate.

Worked for Southwest Airlines? Contribute to the Community!