Southwest Ambulance

I Love My Job, But...

Current Employee - EMT  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - EMT in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of hours, lots of OT, union available but not required, training available, great experience, awesome job to have when you want to get into flight medicine or nursing.

Cons

Low pay, mandatory two-hour holdovers (that can rapidly turn into five-hour holdovers at the whim of dispatch), OT taken away without warning, ambulances that are old and frequently break down, equipment that may or may not work, little to no response if a coworker harasses or even threatens you.

Start caring about your employees. Better pay, benefits, and a little more respect will attract and retain better talent. The revolving door creates problems and you're losing a lot of money continually training new employees just so you can abuse them until they quit. Invest in better equipment; when your newest rides are nearly 20 years old and there's not enough of them to go around, crews feel like you don't care about the equipment, so the crews will in turn not care about the equipment. Stop the trend of every single decision about field personnel being punitive in nature. Rather than reducing the number of points an employee can lose before disciplinary action or termination, try to find out what's making them call out because they're drinking heavily. A peer debriefing program could work wonders, too.

Disappointing at best.

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

24 hour shifts if you get to work EMS/911 after a year or two of working interfacility.
    Work about 10 days a month

Cons

No raises or cost of living increase.
    Company keeps getting bought out or filling for bankruptcy.
    Company moral is at a all time low (even manager agree with this statement Ina diary basis). It has turned people who loved helping and caring for people, into angry people hating employees.
    Constantly down rides to save money, at the expense of employees health and sanity.

Go back to the way southwest used to be, before it was bought out by rural metro. And treat your employees with a little respect and have some empathy for employees who work for 24 hrs and understand it's extremely exhausting and adding more move ups on top of the never ending calls just makes it worse

EMT-B

Former Employee - EMT-B  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Experience in the field as an EMT

Cons

Management constantly used threats to try to motivate employees. They tried to follow the military but feel way short in the implementation. Not a pleasant place to work.

Treat employees with respect and as professionals and they will act as such.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst possible employer ever.

Former Employee - EMT  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This uniform has lost its honor, the only pro is getting field experience.

Cons

Management is the worst around. Unless you kiss their butt and bribe them you will get nothing. Never expect to be off in time. Dispatch is vindictive and rude to crews. Equipment 8s bad and your lucky if you have all supplies. You must find a rock and hide under it to survive, if not you will not last long. No body takes responsibility for ANYTHING. Compnay will not stand behind you what so ever. At some point in your career here you will be told you are a dime a dozen, and they will make sure you know that.

Do not tell your ambulance crews they are far less superior than your fire crews. Its time people take responsibilty for their actions.

EMT Wife

Current Employee - EMT-B in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro is you gain in the field experience. Other than that there are no pros.

Cons

Terrible pay, long hours, held over for several hours most days, unable to take any sick leave or vacation time, dispatchers are untrained and send crews all over the valley when a closer crew could take the call, they are also inaccurate in most of their descriptions of calls, complaints go unnoticed. This company is poorly managed and take advantage of their employees by finding loop holes so they don't have to pay you all your over time. Their employees have to work 2 or 3 other jobs just to make ends meet which leave little to no time for their families.

When a company doesn't care about it's employees why should the employees care about the company? Raise your pay rates, retrain or bring in new supervisors and dispatchers. Get organized and take care of your people.

Terrible company to work for

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance

Pros

Free re certification classes and free uniform.

Cons

Make you travel throughout the state.

Tell your candidates up front that they will be traveling to places way past anything near them. Maybe , actually looking at people's locations would help during the interview process. instead of just saying you do to bring in more staff. Also try giving your employees a chance to rest. Maybe you won't have any ambulance accidents then.

Southwest Ambulance

I have been working at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

As an emergency service provider we get to work with amazing people who all share the same types of goals. Police, Fire, and Hospital Staff all work together to serve, protect and provide care above and beyond what the job description may be. There is a sense of responsibility, community, and respect when wearing the uniform. There is a sense of family, brotherhood when you are with others that do the same.

Cons

I would say that one of the major issues is that it is difficult to work for a company that does not put back into its employee base. As an employee you are treated like a number from day one. Policy, procedures and the like are all just words when it comes to what the employee needs. When the company wants to supersede its own policies it can, when the company wants to make a change it does - regardless of the impact on its employees and their families (the feeling is that they truly do not care).

If you are looking for a career with work life balance this isn't the place. They offer a barely livable wage, with costly benefits and lots of the same issues that continue to carry one year to the next without change.

The union is weak and the feeling is that we are on our own. The union leadership doesn't seem to feel the same pinch as the employee base. Dues are raised, services are not. It is not a win win relationship.

Its cliche but leadership begins at the top. Pointing fingers at the union and the union doing the same is ridiculous (The union is just as responsible to its members).Inflation has gone up as high as 4% in the last 5 years, and we haven't had a raise or contract in almost two and a half years. So the question would be could you live off of what you pay your people? Could you work the same hours, with the same working conditions day in and day out?

So my advice would be - take an inventory of what is happening in the company and ask yourself - as a manager/ employer - what are my responsibilities to my people? If you do feel like you are being responsible then - I am sorry for my words and obviously I am in the wrong business. If you realize that something needs to be done - then you are the right person for the job and we would wish you the best in your efforts.

I understand that we are in the business of taking care of people - at what cost? As we care for others, who is caring for our own?

Good company back in the day. BUT NOW? not so much

Former Employee - EMT  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - EMT in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good experience to work as an EMT. When I started with the company back in the day it was a fun place to work. Management seemed to care about the field personal. But that all soon changed when the company started shutting down I.F. stations and changing all the I.F. schedules every year sometimes twice a year.

Cons

Company has very poor communication, managers and dispatchers like to micromanage people in the field. Company wants to remove the 20 year pension, pay you less, and cries that they have no money. BUT purchases all new staff vehicles for all managers and waist tons money buy purchasing oversized ambulance's for the nurses that have no more room than a reg. ambulance. There are NO yearly reviews on your performance. Managers like to discipline first and ask questions later. The annual and new employee training is a joke.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Pay your people better, there is a lot of responsibility working on an ambulance, responding to calls, pushing drugs, working with the public and other public service agencies. Alot of EMTs, Medics, and Nurses work second jobs on their off time to help pay the bills. Remember some day they may be responding to your family emergency.

Most Worst Management Ever

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing. There Really is Nothing good about this Place.

Cons

Childish and Lazy supervisors along with Childish Management which allow laziness from whichever supervisor or lead has more seniority.

I've seen whole days wasted, by just Leads and supervisors just trying to finds ways to get specific employees fired, just because there not apart of their Little "high school Clicks"

Weak Management. Work isnt a Party, and its not your Family replacement. It should be a Professional environment. Grow up

Good field personnel but very poorly organized and very poorly managed.

Former Employee - Paramedic  in  Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Southwest Ambulance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work schedule. Field personnel are exceptional.

Cons

Union that is in place is weak and more company than employee advocates. Very reactive rather than proactive. Untrained field supervisors. Corporate management is disorganized and poor. No managerial support for employees. Employees are not appreciated and looked at as "slave labor". No encouragement for long-term retention. High turnover rate due to early employee burnout. Poor equipment.

Listen to and appreciate your employees. Try to encourage long-term employee retention. Train your field personnel in proper management techniques and demeanor. Be proactive in your industry. Re-organize administrative and field management.

Worked for Southwest Ambulance? Contribute to the Community!