Southwest Gas Reviews

Jeffrey W. Shaw

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Analyst I in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Analyst I in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Really understand work-personal life balance. Pension plan, great benefits, and super friendly people to work with. Couldn't ask for a better working environment. Unless you do something really stupid, you'll probably never lose your job. Very secure employment.

Cons

Pay is not competitive, probably due to pension. Culture is a little slow - projects are started and move at their own speed. Employees are all over-tasked, making it difficult to get things accomplished. Deadlines slide, and everyone seems OK with it. Great at responding to customer needs though. Definitely great at prioritizing work that MUST be done.

Advice to Management

I'd love to see negative consequences for missing project deadlines, and more accountability for projects that fail.

2. Stable but stubborn

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Southwest Gas is a stable company. They like it that way. The company has been in operation for over 86 years and prides itself on never having to lay anyone off. They offer 401K with Matching and a Pension. There are people there who have worked for the company their entire lives and been happy to do so.

Cons

As is common with other energy utility companies, they are not very progressive. Extremely slow and resistant to change. This can be very frustrating for people in the IT community such as myself as technology changes all the time. The company is very focused on the "team" and anyone pushing beyond the group can be precieved more as a threat to the norm than a doer and motivator. There is a very big "everything is awesome" mentality which causes a disconnect between the workers and management.

- Insurance benefits get worse and worse every year.
    - Company keeps trying to do more with less.
    - Senior Management is very unapproachable

Advice to Management

Management needs to be more open and less resitive to change. There is a great disconnect between the operations people and management because management only listens to the management below them and doesn't take the initiative to understand issues directly from the people in the field

3. stay away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas (Less than a year)

Pros

If full time, it is one of the last places that still has retirement

Cons

Good ole boy mentality, its who you know not what you do. Long term dead wood will take the credit for work you do

Advice to Management

Review who actually gets the work done rather than who takes credit for it

5. Great!

I worked at Southwest Gas

Pros

It is a great company with terrific benefits.

Cons

I cannot think of any negative experiences.

Advice to Management

Great management.

6. Intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Southwest Gas

Pros

Lots of food
    Good employees
    Rather laidback and flexible

Cons

Feels like continously turning the same wheel

7. Good Pay, Low Stress, Strict Workplace Policies

Current Employee - Electronic Mapping Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Electronic Mapping Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, low stress, rarely work overtime, 401k, pension, friendly work place

Cons

health benefits aren't the best, strict work policies such as requesting time off, conservative management

Stable organization, good benefits.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mandatory vacation, paid holidays, professional environment. Most of the people are very friendly and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Slow track advancement with fairly low ceiling. There are annual pay grade advancements, but the increases are small and the max is low.

Advice to Management

Reward production instead of time spent at desk.

9. Great Paths for Engineers, Emphasis on Training, Great People

Former Employee - Engineer II
    Former Employee - Engineer II

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was offered a great job out of school with them. They have a full training program for their engineers regardless of level. If you are an engineer in the company, you will or have attend ETDP (Engineering Training and Development Program). From here you get to see all aspects of the business and potential career paths. In my experience, if you work hard and make your goals known, you get support from management and can build a great career within the company. Very professional environment. Very stable job. Great people!

Cons

It is a utility so things are a little behind the times. Things move very slowly. Limited locations. For career growth, your location possibilities are limited to mainly Las Vegas (Corporate Office) or the larger Phoenix office.

Advice to Management

Keep providing great opportunities and leadership paths for your engineers. It is noticed by the industry and company assets are better for it.

10. Interesting

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fairly good and the workers (those actually doing the day to day activities) are what makes this company what it is.

Cons

Pecking order; you have to be a Manger or above to be cared about.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your workforce and share some of those "secret" benefits you guys get (special insurance, higher pay raises, travel, etc.).

11. Without pension, you'd lose good folks

Current Employee - Exempt in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Exempt in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension, salary, decent time-off benefits Tuition reimbursement is good for an undergrad but doesn't put a dent in a masters degree. Pension! Co-workers genuinely care about one another on a personal level. Pension! Variety of easily accessible and well maintained offices. Did I mention the pension?

Cons

Health care is not impressive but who's is these days? Trimmed fat back so far they've cut into the muscle. Without the pension, many would have jumped ship by now. Not because they're not loyal, because they can't sustain.

Advice to Management

Be reasonable. Numerous employees have left to work for other utilities. Do you still think it's on a case-by-case basis due to personal circumstances? This is a great company with great people and you're losing your best asset, loyalty. The increase in the stock price should be directly correlated to the morale of your employees .... It's not. Those that stay are exhausted. They pray their counterparts don't get sick or have an emergency because there's not a moment to exhale let alone cover for someone else. How exactly are you maintaining a highly trained, efficient, and motivated workforce? With the exception of emergency response, I don't know what valuable training is being offered. And PLEASE it's embarrassing the lack of technological advances we have. How can you talk sensible cost control when so much is wasted on inefficiencies? My kids's iPod is more advanced than any system were currently using. If our highest cost is salaries, wouldn't you want us using our time as efficiently as possible? Technology does that folks. Customers are frustrated dealing with us .... Just ask them. When's the last time someone mentioned customer satisfaction?

RSS Feed </> Embed