Southwest Gas

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.4

Jeffrey W. Shaw

Stable organization, good benefits.

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mandatory vacation, paid holidays, professional environment. Most of the people are very friendly and it is a pretty laid back atmosphere in the office.

Cons

Slow track advancement with fairly low ceiling. There are annual pay grade advancements, but the increases are small and the max is low.

Reward production instead of time spent at desk.

Great Paths for Engineers, Emphasis on Training, Great People

Former Employee - Engineer II
    Former Employee - Engineer II

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was offered a great job out of school with them. They have a full training program for their engineers regardless of level. If you are an engineer in the company, you will or have attend ETDP (Engineering Training and Development Program). From here you get to see all aspects of the business and potential career paths. In my experience, if you work hard and make your goals known, you get support from management and can build a great career within the company. Very professional environment. Very stable job. Great people!

Cons

It is a utility so things are a little behind the times. Things move very slowly. Limited locations. For career growth, your location possibilities are limited to mainly Las Vegas (Corporate Office) or the larger Phoenix office.

Keep providing great opportunities and leadership paths for your engineers. It is noticed by the industry and company assets are better for it.

Internship was great.

Former Employee - Intern in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Intern in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Southwest Gas as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They take care of there interns. good amount of work and exposure to real world

Cons

Location was a problem. Getting hired

Interesting

I worked at Southwest Gas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are fairly good and the workers (those actually doing the day to day activities) are what makes this company what it is.

Cons

Pecking order; you have to be a Manger or above to be cared about.

Start caring about your workforce and share some of those "secret" benefits you guys get (special insurance, higher pay raises, travel, etc.).

Without pension, you'd lose good folks

Current Employee - Exempt in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Exempt in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pension, salary, decent time-off benefits Tuition reimbursement is good for an undergrad but doesn't put a dent in a masters degree. Pension! Co-workers genuinely care about one another on a personal level. Pension! Variety of easily accessible and well maintained offices. Did I mention the pension?

Cons

Health care is not impressive but who's is these days? Trimmed fat back so far they've cut into the muscle. Without the pension, many would have jumped ship by now. Not because they're not loyal, because they can't sustain.

Be reasonable. Numerous employees have left to work for other utilities. Do you still think it's on a case-by-case basis due to personal circumstances? This is a great company with great people and you're losing your best asset, loyalty. The increase in the stock price should be directly correlated to the morale of your employees .... It's not. Those that stay are exhausted. They pray their counterparts don't get sick or have an emergency because there's not a moment to exhale let alone cover for someone else. How exactly are you maintaining a highly trained, efficient, and motivated workforce? With the exception of emergency response, I don't know what valuable training is being offered. And PLEASE it's embarrassing the lack of technological advances we have. How can you talk sensible cost control when so much is wasted on inefficiencies? My kids's iPod is more advanced than any system were currently using. If our highest cost is salaries, wouldn't you want us using our time as efficiently as possible? Technology does that folks. Customers are frustrated dealing with us .... Just ask them. When's the last time someone mentioned customer satisfaction?

Stable place to work

I worked at Southwest Gas (more than an year)

Pros

A really open & friendly environment. Never have to worry about getting laid off. It's a utility company. The people are nice and the pay is pretty good.

Cons

No big cons. It's a very comfortable environment. I suppose they could expand/create more job opportunities in some areas. The work load would be easier on everyone if there were more people working on certain projects in some departments.

More job openings in departments that have large projects and short deadlines please. Small, effective teams are good, but not TOO small.

Contractor Work

Former Employee - Mapper in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mapper in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Gas as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Being able to utilize your skills and contribute to the vast network of utilities infrastructure.

Cons

In my opinion:
    The work environment for a contractor position within the mapping department and other departments is very far from desirable or hospitable, this is not an EQUAL opportunity position you (contractor) are treated very differently from their employees to a point of discriminatory segregation. They have regular safety and training meetings (CONTRACTOR IS NOT INCLUDED) I always thought SAFETY was everybody’s responsibility?, sometimes they have meetings including catered in foods, the CONTRACTOR IS NOT INCLUDED until after they have already ate and after their meeting (1/2 to 1hr long) and sometimes outside, then and ONLY THEN the CONTRACTOR may have the COLD, STALE, FINGERED left over’s.
    This is how the SWG treats its Contractors whom are day in and day out processing the back log of work as the regular employees without benefits.
    NO THANK YOU, I would rather work in a ditch shoveling rocks in the hot sun than EVER work for that company again. I wouldn’t wish a contractor position with this company on my worst enemy.
    If there is some way an agency placing employees in this position could spot visit or protect their employees for hire from such predatory companies such as this would be a big step in the term of Equal Opportunity Employer.

To be fair, some of the training or employee meetings would not benefit the contractor in his/her position but please showing a little human compassion and promote camaraderie in the work place this would go a great distance in a happier more productive work place.
    You hire contractors to help you get out of your back log of work, the least you could do is treat us like a valuable asset/employee and not a necessary evil, we need jobs too, to support our families also.

Great employer and best co-workers ever!

Current Employee - Administrator/Consumer Affairs in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrator/Consumer Affairs in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Appreciate the emphasis on training and opportunities to improve skill set and personal growth.

Cons

Number of employees has decreased and everyone is doing more with less.

Positive First Job Review

Former Employee - Right of Way Administrator in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Right of Way Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Gas as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Many employees have many years of experience and are interested in sharing knowledge with younger employees

Cons

Strict management style - dress code, lunch/break policies, start and end times

Biased towards military veterans

Current Employee - Analyst in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Analyst in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Southwest Gas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity once you're in the company

Cons

Dealing with human resources and supervisors who have a negative attitude towards military veterans.

Please create a positive working environment for all and be a military-friendly organization.