Southwest Human Development

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Ginger Ward

Mission-driven workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsEveryone here is very friendly and the working conditions are excellent -- really nice building, large break room, great benefits, good work-life balance, lots of professional development opportunities. Great new employee orientation. Staff has lots of opportunities to provide feedback and input into the work. Given their great reputation in Arizona and even nationally, you can be proud to work at Southwest Human Development

ConsThere is limited parking and lots of meeting take place here, so you sometimes have to park in nearby hotel parking lot and walk -- can be a pain in the summer heat.

Challenging organization doing great things for our smallest citizens!

Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI love the mission and the way that it is carried out. I think that management genuinely cares for the people who have made Southwest a career.

ConsWith more donations and grant monies we could reach more children and families.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and stick with the mission.

Good Start

Child Development Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI love my coworkers, and feel that my role as a Child Development Specialist does a lot of good for the children. Reflective supervision practices are a plus.

ConsManagement not always on the same page, compensation should be higher considering all of the extra work that keeps getting piled on. With changes happening this year, we are more restricted than ever as teachers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome, professional working environment!

Good Fit Infant Family Specialist Intern (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsClinicians provide mindful practice for children and their families. People throughout the organization are friendly. Colleagues go out of their way to check-in with you.

ConsIt is taking a long time to get business cards. Although I appreciate an environment with an independence, in the beginning, it was too much independence.

Great Place to Work!

ProsSouthwest Human Development offers great opportunity for advancement. The agency is well known within the Early Childhood Community. This has been my first job in the field, and I believe it's given me an amazing foundation for my future work in nonprofit. There are many continuing education opportunities offered, and the reflective supervision principle ensures staff growth and development.

ConsAs a nonprofit, SWHD tends to be limited in what it can offer for salary, though, as I understand it, salaries here are competitive for nonprofit. Despite this, the agency has kept benefit costs at a minimum for its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope SWHD continues the positive treatment of its employees and continues to put them first in order to best serve the mission.

A great place to work!

Development (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsLeadership, Mission/Vision, Supportive/Reflective Environment, Trust of Employees

ConsStill trying to find one... Maybe parking some days? Haha...

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep doing what you're doing! Southwest Human Development is a wonderful place to work!

managers talk about you and it goes around. Teachers never get raises and are underpaid. If no degree no full time.

Teacher Early Head Start (Current Employee)

Prosmake friends, form great relationship with kids.

Conshorrible management, management has favorites, managers talk about you

Advice to Senior ManagementEducare needs new management in early headstart

Dedicated employee forced to resign.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsQuality of programs and services they provide to families of children birth to 5

ConsInconsistencys in how time off policies are approved for employees at different work sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould like too, but they wouldn't make any changes.

Disappointing

Teacher (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe shared mission of providing quality programs to benefit children
    Salaries are better than most other Head Start agencies pay
    Benefits for employees
    lots of trainings

ConsI came to southwest because the had a reputation of being a company with values, but that is just words, they do not follow through with that!
    The directors have been there since the company began and do not change to the changing needs in the industry
    The HR director is two-faced, says what she thinks you want to hear, then turns around and says exactly the opposite to a co-worker because that is what they want to hear
    Turn-over of staff is HORRIBLE! Most of the people I work with have been there less than a year. People are constantly leaving because they are unhappy,

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your managers... I guess that would mean looking at themselves, and figure out that what you are doing is not working. It should not be a revolving door of new staff in and unhappy staff out all the time. Something is not working if you cannot keep staff more than a year.

Good place to work in

Child Development Assistant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe people and the families you work with are great, and it's a very rewarding place to work at.

ConsIt depends on which site if you apply to head start they sent you... it varies on the type of hassles you are going to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for head start teachers.

Worked for Southwest Human Development? Contribute to the Community!