Southwest Key Programs

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Juan Sanchez

Great career and personal growth straight out of college.

Clinician (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- surprisingly competitive salary for someone in the mental health field with little experience.
    - Awesome team leader who places a high focus on individual clinical growth.
    - Continuing Education is always a priority to team leader.
    - The company pays for mostly all CEUs and will also pay for employee to attend yearly counseling conferences all expenses on conference (hotel, conference cost, food) is paid by the company. May have to wait 1 to 3 months for meal reimbursements though.
    - Team leader wants for all clinical staff to obtain full licensure in their field.
    - All licenses (LPC, LMFT, LCSW) are respected by team leader and clinical directors.
    - The company reimburses some your clinical supervision on a quarterly basis.
    - Coworkers in the department are all talented and caring individuals who will offer a helping hand whenever it is needed.
    - Clients are great to work and the best part of the job.

Cons- Constant changes to paperwork procedures.
    - There are several times a year when you are busy literally every minute of the day. because of this you cannot waste any time, you must be excellent at organizing your work priorities.
    - even if you are great at organizing your workload you may find yourself working extra hours due to a high caseload.
    - Since you are a salary paid worker, overtime is nonexistent.
    - Staff from other departments have general confusion about what Clinicians job duties are.

Advice to Senior Management- Trust your team leaders more and listen to the things they have to say.
    - learn that employees who have a strong work-life balance will always be the most productive employees.
    - Understand that in order for this company to achieve a stronger voice and respect in the mental health community you need to continue investing in your employees career growth. That includes paying your employees a competitive salary after they have achieved a full independent licensure.

If you can think for yourself, do not work at East Austin College Prep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to help students in need.

ConsTyrannical administration who hide beneath the facade of "helping kids." Upper level admin have a thing for hiring inexperienced staff who drink the Kool-Aid and do not question the unethical operations going on at the school. Test scores reflect the poor education the kids receive. Huge conflicts of interest going on between Southwest Key and East Austin College Prep. Unsafe environment for students and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Move on. Consider someone by their qualifications and commitment to students--not who they know or what consulting job they will get you.

Casa Reliant

Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt's truly a rewarding experience what you do at Southwest Key Programs, and the opportunities for growth are limitless.

ConsThe entire program is unorganized, poorly managed and your coworkers are under-educated, lazy, whiny, and don't follow any form of policy and procedure when it comes to caring for the clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your current Shift Leaders and replace them with competent individuals that actually want to be there for themselves, the clients, and the program.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No regrets....I guess.

ProsGood mix of cultures and personnel. Enjoyable and reasonable expectations. Team culture for the most part. Results orientated. Flexible in work parameters

ConsVery much "our team vs. your team". Little input acted upon. Executives will ask for it, but then ignore it. Does not always appreciate any department that does not deal with funds.

Great mission, difficult management.

ProsSouthwest Key does some incredible work in its mission to help kids. Being a part of that is what has kept me here. Benefits are good for full time employees. Some signs of improving the negatives about the company.

ConsLow salary, little opportunity to advance. Unreasonable expectations of employees. Culture of blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop and trust your middle management staff.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great Company as a whole, locally not so great on the RD side

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Abilene, TX

ProsGreat benefits, try to boost morale

Conscurrent RD has little to zero knowledge, to militant in management, asks for middle management input but does not listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot great on pay; promised to come in and clean up what the last couple of contractors did not do well. Still promising. Still broken. Instill loyalty by doing what you say and keep the most knowledgeable. Make sure the person at the top (locally) knows how sort and respond to emails and properly use their technology to meet deadlines. heard from a former co-worker that they had just received a response to an email sent to the RD in April and it was August. the response was too late. I seriously see the current contractor being exited soon and that is really sad. Some very talented people still work there and they are not valued. I do not believe the contract manager is hard to please; she just expects talented people to do work.that reflects a job well done every time not sporadically or when there is a deadline.
    I would not recommend employment locally but would in other Southwest Key areas.

Walking on egg shells everyday

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pleasant Hill, CA

ProsEnjoyed my job and working with co-workers

ConsTerrible management. Despite numerous complaints from staff about local management, nothing was done!!! Low pay!!

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management needs to make unannounced visits and listen to what staff has to say when you visit. Don't ignore staff complaints and don't protect bad program directors. Staff is the heart beat of the program, they do all of the hard work!!

Meh, Speaking Directly about East Austin College Prep Academy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThis company really does do a lot to help the community. Some of the positions are very well funded, particularly if you are related to someone higher up.

ConsThey expect their teachers to work 60+ hours a week and then gripe at them for not working enough. They alter their student to teacher ratio by including "tutors" as their staff. They are running a "college prep academy," yet few students both to do homework. They pay for frivolous and unnecessary things and let a lot of enrichment fall to the wayside. Overwork their staff to the bone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your upper management and start over.

Awful, do not work here at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youth Tracker (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsWorking with the kids and interacting with them.

ConsEverything from management to the pay. My car had gotten scratched while on the job tracking and they did nothing about it but had it been a company car, I would have been responsible. Please consider other job options before applying to this company. There is mileage reimbursement but it soes not even come close to what is being put into your car.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job and find a way to pay trackers more for the work that is being done.

If you have a brain dont work here

Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Prosmeaningful experience with children
    learn spanish if you are not bilingual
    learn more about the immigration process
    help restore confidence in young children

Consmanagment is unreasonable and unorganized
    if you do not speak spanish managment thinks you are dumb
    Managment supports the neglect of children including medical neglect
    no room for growth
    no room for mental stimulation

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off of your power roll. Youth care workers are the bottom of the barrel however, we understand you have power. Talk to the clients to find out whats really going on rather than always assuming they are lying. Treat your staff as if they have a brain rather than insult their intelligents. Get way more organized the government funds your program, no excuses for unorganization

Worked for Southwest Key Programs? Contribute to the Community!