Southwest Network Reviews

CEO

1. High Needs Case Manager

Current Employee - High Needs Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - High Needs Case Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Wonderful leadership team. Positive and supportive work environment. Opportunities for growth are present as long as you are meeting your goals.

Cons

Not ver many cons other than assignments are not always within your area even though we have several offices. I work at the central office and have cases all over the valley.

2. Specialist

Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Avondale, AZ

Pros

If you like helping peoples

Cons

Too much micro management make a person feel they don't know how to do the job.

Advice to Management

Please train,then allow the person to do the job

3. Lack of effective leadership and support

Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator
    Current Employee - Clinical Coordinator

I have been working at Southwest Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The middle administrators (Clinical Directors, Site Administrators) display favoritism regularly. The expectations of the company are incredibly high and all of the clinics run in a constant state of crisis due to lack of competent leadership at the clinic level.

Cons

Positive interaction with members; the ability to meet people where they are at and to help them with their recovery.

Advice to Management

Learn leadership skills and practice them. Support your employees.

5. Case Manager

Current Employee - Case Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Southwest Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-fexible schedule -minimal supervision -experience

Cons

-high expectations and low compensation -high caseload -unrealistic deadlines

Advice to Management

- brainstorm ways to lower employee stress levels

Good entry level experience

Current Employee - High Needs Case Management
    Current Employee - High Needs Case Management

I have been working at Southwest Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Networking, making your own schedule, good for entry level behavioral health.

Cons

Salary, things move slowly, too much paperwork and not enough quality care.

Advice to Management

N/A

Great Company Values and Colleagues, Out of Touch Upper Management

I have been working at Southwest Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for getting experience counseling populations with diverse needs. Support (mostly) continuing education and acquiring new niche skills. Coworkers are kind and individual sites tend to have a supportive, familial culture. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with unrealistic expectations and poor communication. Some don't seem to actually understand the day to day functioning of front line Case Managers, Counselors, and Peer Support workers, and clearly are only concerned with the business numbers. They tout work-life balance, but then make it difficult to actually achieve by the unrealistic expectations set.

Advice to Management

Spend a day as a case manager, counselor, family support worker, etc. to get a more accurate picture of what are reasonable expectations with behavioral health work. Find a better balance between business numbers and taking care of your employees...you're losing good people to stress and burnout all of the time.

office assistant

Former Employee - Office Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Office Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Southwest Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours to work, near by home. Received an hour for lunch. pleasant employees to work for. Constant training on the job to make you more employable and room for advancement.

Cons

The company constantly changes job description and it lacks consistency. The non-profit company seems to lack integrity and respect for their employees hard work. Extreme high turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Be professional, maintain a consistent job duties for the empoyees. Take responsibility for errors and try to keep your employees to avoid a high turnover. Contradiction on what the company wants the employees job role, then changes it again.

Pros

M-F hours, close to home, decent pay, health insurance available but I was glad to be covered by my parents because staff said it was terrible. Nice workers.

Cons

Lack of integrity or ethics, high turnover, wages, emphasis on revenue over client care. As a child, I knew I wanted to help people go a living. I majored in social work and couldn't wait to see what this decision brought to the table. I had three employment opportunities prior to graduation. I chose Southwest Network as it appeared to have more growth potential. My interview was a positive experience. I was relieved as it was my first real interview. It seemed as though the hiring process was a bit extreme for what was an entry level job. It seemed like I was being hired by the CIA. I had little experience other than school. I showed up on my first day, ready to take the world by storm. Naive in my belief I could change the world. Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was the dismal energy and unhappy staff. I still made sure my bubbly personality shined thru. I figured it was a bad day and they just had bad attitudes. Within 6 months, I was one of the miserable drones tapping a keyboard. Some of the people in the office were actually good people. I learned quickly that this was a far stretch from my childhood dreams. It got so depressed. I enjoyed meeting with the people coming to the clinic to receive services for Psychiatric illnesses. I tried hard to get them help. Helping people did not seem to be on the agenda or in the budget. They said they were hiring for a supervisor lead soon but I was to report to a site administrator until then. When I'd ask her about getting help for someone I felt like a nuisance. I would get eye rolls like a teenager and a lecture about not getting enough "units". She reminded me more than once that everyones replaceable. Everyone talked about being scared about Southwest Network being on probation with the organization that provides funding. I think that's also a lot of stress for staff.. I began understanding why everyone was scared of being fired. Everyone thought they'd be FIRED if they didn't make profits. This was not the dream I hoped for. I was going to ask for help from the human resource team but got scared of that too. I was reminded that reporting would only make it worse. The lady in the next cube said to ignore it because it would make them angrier if I spoke up. I was told human resources was not helpful and will not have my back. It seemed like too unhealthy of a job for me. My Dad finally made me quit because I was the one getting sick. I wanted to stay one year so my resume would look good, but there was no way I could survive one more minute. When I turned in my two weeks notice the s.a laughed and I got another eye roll. I stayed the two weeks and ran for my life. I'm now a college graduate working back in retail. Not the career my Dad hoped for when paying for my college. I will try again, but have to recover from my first impression. Getting my bubbly back. Do NOT believe a professional interview means a professional employer. Far from it! !

Advice to Management

Instead of threats to fire good workers, you should fire managers. Human resources should not punish someone eith a valid complaint. Focus should be on caring for people. It is not. Money is not what makes the world go around.

Poor mgmt & 0 growth opps

Pros

Work with population of people who need assistance

Cons

Lack of direction; inconsistent; threats vs rewards; high turnover isn't seen as an issue

Advice to Management

Try preventing messes vs constantly trying to clean them up and looking for scapegoats; define your priorities and stick to them; support your employees

Clinic Staff - How SWN is Building a Mental Health Dynasty on the Backs of the OAs, CMs. Peer Spt and RS's.

Current Employee - Clinic Staff in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Clinic Staff in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Helping severely mentally ill adults to become stable and self-determined. There are still some great staff who have not resigned or been forced to resign.

Cons

Lack of financial compensation (no annual performance raises for 3 years) for the years of experience, the education and the stress that OA, CMs and RSs experience while management gets an 85% increase in pay for the past 3 years (this was in the Phoenix news). Lack of consideration and respect for those line staff who have served and remain in service 5-15 years. Lack of adequate compensation for being forced to use personal vehicle in the field while management gets expense and vehicle accounts worth $thousands a year. Millions in surplus funds being used to build a New Mexico branch of Southwest Network while AZ clinic staff don't have funds to adequately help members. The attitude/culture with SWN executives and staff trainers that they can get "anybody" to do the work at the clinic level. High staff turnover due to the management and leadership attitude lack of respect and pay for clinic staff. Overworked, underpaid, undermined, micromanaged; and disrespected as professionals.

Advice to Management

Pay staff an 85% increase in over 3 years same as management. Pay reasonable expense/vehicle compensation to line staff besides $.55 per mile. Respect and honor the dedication and commitment of staff that have worked over 5 years, and not just offer them a lunch with the CEO and a picture frame. Pay a living wage in proportion to the education and experience loyal staff have offered. Hire quality clinic staff (that means spending the $$ to get the right people). Stop micromanaging.

RSS Feed </> Embed