Southwest Water

Updated Nov 6, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Daniel E. Corredor

Opportunities for learning but...

Utility Operator and Dispatcher (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Water full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn a lot about the water and waste water industry.
Good benefits and will pay for your advancement in licensing
paid for me to go to college to further my education
Lots of overtime in the field

Conspoor implementation of MRP and ERP software
long hours
company took a huge hit in 2011, many people lost their jobs
during hurricane Ike disaster, I worked every day for 4 weeks, little recognition or bonus for my time away from my family. Was stationed at a facility with no resources and strict orders to not leave the facility. Some people brought me food, but I had to rely on my family to bring me essentials. Had to sleep in my truck for 3 days. Another higher ranking operator had a tree branch fall through his window, and they ordered me to swap company vehicles with him so I was driving around with a large hole in my windshield and a damaged truck.
As a dispatcher management lead by the "fear for losing your job" attitude. Always coming up with procedures that made the job difficult. Upper management in the field "pawned" the West Regional Water Authority" monitoring system on to the dispatchers who were untrained to monitor the system. Any time there would be a major problem that occurred, dispatchers were targeted and fired.

Remarkable

Billing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIt was a great place to work and I'm very sorry that it shut down the Tanner Road office and that I had to quit. I would still be working there if that had not happened.

ConsSwitching over to a SAP system slowed the productivity

Advice to Senior ManagementVery unfriendly management.

Do Not Work Here Unless You Are Absolutely Desperate

Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Southwest Water full-time for more than a year

Prosgood working hours and holidays off. Decent pay.

ConsThis company has absolutely No Integrity and gives it's manager way to much power. Employees must always have a paper trail of each for every communication. Low morale, and lots of drama. Employees are not a valued part of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management your employees are NOT always wrong! You really need to research and get to the bottom of issues. The morale is extremely low and people in this company are very messy.... way too much drama!

Good experience

I worked at Southwest Water full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to work. Coworkers were very friendly. There was always work to be done. Lots of multi-tasking and learning how different departments worked.

ConsSadly closed down. Company basically gave up on trying to fix any issues. Customer service was difficult, dealing with customers whose water had been shut off.

The ride was a long great one

Clerical (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwest Water full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWas very training oriented and SOP driven

ConsMUD book of business went away so only Utilities postions left. Out of work.

Only if you really need a job and plan to use this company as a stepping stone to something better!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwest Water

ProsNot a lot of pros except for the work hours.

ConsUpper management showed a lot of favoritism. Promotions not given fairly to people who deserve it verses ones who were given just for being a favorite. Lack of moral and training given to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease revamp your hiring ,training and promotion skills. Hire management that actually care about making the job better for their employees and building moral, instead of just promoting gossip and favoritism.

Downsizing

I worked at Southwest Water

ProsGood office environment generally. Flexibility in scheduling is good. Benefits are comparable for the size of the company. Salaries are comparable for the industry.

ConsCorporate management is striving to improve upon weaknesses but methods are not necessarily market sensitive or appropriate for the size of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the full impact of changes and methods to be sure they are compatible with the local market environment and personnel.

Don't work here

I have been working at Southwest Water

ProsNot having to drive downtown

ConsSmall company with no growth in future

Company needs executive and senior management overhaul before ratings will improve.

I have been working at Southwest Water

ProsGood entry level for those looking to gain utility experience. Opportunity to move throughout the southwestern United States. Company lacks employees with adequate long term strategy, so this is a great place if you have the ability to create and implement new concepts, but buy-in required.

ConsExecutive management makes poor decisions. Salary, retirement, health benefits are substandard for the utility industry. Tremendous amount of favoritism given to those "yes men" and not the visionaries. Company morale is extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who have real experience and cross-functional ability. Cut costs using the vitality curve or Pareto principle. The company has a lot of lazy people who continue to reap rewards and positive reviews considering their poor performance and behavior.

Only keep those at the top who are filled with passion committed to making things happen. Open to ideas from anywhere and blessed with lots of "runway" ahead of them, have charisma, the ability to energize themselves and others, and can make business productive and enjoyable at the same time. Heavy emphasis on "productive and enjoyable." Morale is in the gutter.

Keep those in the middle who may not be the biggest visionaries or the most driven, but are "vital" because they make up the majority of the group and are stellar workhorses. Get rid of those who aren't regardless of their years of tenure. Yes there are still many left. Executive and senior management needs to stop rewarding the the so called "golden children." These are the "fakes," "the actors" and "workplace buddies." The golden children tend to delegate without authority. They also reap credit for work that isn't theirs.

Today, the company rewards those who least deserve it, do the least amount of work or have the least amount of vision. This practice needs to stop. Reward those who deserve to be rewarded and implement a valid, reliable, and measurable method of tracking individual success.

Worked for Southwest Water? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwest Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwest Water CEO Daniel E. Corredor. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Southwest Water employees.