Southwest Water Reviews

1 Rating

1. It was wonderful.

Former Contractor - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership was great, Office culture was friendly and great company to work

Cons

I did not work for a longer period. Therefore, no comment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. Opportunities for learning but...

Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about the water and waste water industry.
    Good benefits and will pay for your advancement in licensing
    paid for me to go to college to further my education
    Lots of overtime in the field

Cons

poor implementation of MRP and ERP software
    long hours
    company took a huge hit in 2011, many people lost their jobs
    during hurricane Ike disaster, I worked every day for 4 weeks, little recognition or bonus for my time away from my family. Was stationed at a facility with no resources and strict orders to not leave the facility. Some people brought me food, but I had to rely on my family to bring me essentials. Had to sleep in my truck for 3 days. Another higher ranking operator had a tree branch fall through his window, and they ordered me to swap company vehicles with him so I was driving around with a large hole in my windshield and a damaged truck.
    As a dispatcher management lead by the "fear for losing your job" attitude. Always coming up with procedures that made the job difficult. Upper management in the field "pawned" the West Regional Water Authority" monitoring system on to the dispatchers who were untrained to monitor the system. Any time there would be a major problem that occurred, dispatchers were targeted and fired.

3. Do Not Work Here Unless You Are Absolutely Desperate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good working hours and holidays off. Decent pay.

Cons

This company has absolutely No Integrity and gives it's manager way to much power. Employees must always have a paper trail of each for every communication. Low morale, and lots of drama. Employees are not a valued part of this company.

Advice to Management

Upper Management your employees are NOT always wrong! You really need to research and get to the bottom of issues. The morale is extremely low and people in this company are very messy.... way too much drama!

5. Good experience

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Coworkers were very friendly. There was always work to be done. Lots of multi-tasking and learning how different departments worked.

Cons

Sadly closed down. Company basically gave up on trying to fix any issues. Customer service was difficult, dealing with customers whose water had been shut off.

6. The ride was a long great one

Current Employee - Clerical in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Clerical in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was very training oriented and SOP driven

Cons

MUD book of business went away so only Utilities postions left. Out of work.

7. Only if you really need a job and plan to use this company as a stepping stone to something better!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water

Pros

Not a lot of pros except for the work hours.

Cons

Upper management showed a lot of favoritism. Promotions not given fairly to people who deserve it verses ones who were given just for being a favorite. Lack of moral and training given to employees.

Advice to Management

Please revamp your hiring ,training and promotion skills. Hire management that actually care about making the job better for their employees and building moral, instead of just promoting gossip and favoritism.

Downsizing

I worked at Southwest Water

Pros

Good office environment generally. Flexibility in scheduling is good. Benefits are comparable for the size of the company. Salaries are comparable for the industry.

Cons

Corporate management is striving to improve upon weaknesses but methods are not necessarily market sensitive or appropriate for the size of the company.

Advice to Management

Consider the full impact of changes and methods to be sure they are compatible with the local market environment and personnel.

9. Don't work here

I have been working at Southwest Water

Pros

Not having to drive downtown

Cons

Small company with no growth in future

10. Company needs executive and senior management overhaul before ratings will improve.

I have been working at Southwest Water

Pros

Good entry level for those looking to gain utility experience. Opportunity to move throughout the southwestern United States. Company lacks employees with adequate long term strategy, so this is a great place if you have the ability to create and implement new concepts, but buy-in required.

Cons

Executive management makes poor decisions. Salary, retirement, health benefits are substandard for the utility industry. Tremendous amount of favoritism given to those "yes men" and not the visionaries. Company morale is extremely low.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who have real experience and cross-functional ability. Cut costs using the vitality curve or Pareto principle. The company has a lot of lazy people who continue to reap rewards and positive reviews considering their poor performance and behavior.

Only keep those at the top who are filled with passion committed to making things happen. Open to ideas from anywhere and blessed with lots of "runway" ahead of them, have charisma, the ability to energize themselves and others, and can make business productive and enjoyable at the same time. Heavy emphasis on "productive and enjoyable." Morale is in the gutter.

Keep those in the middle who may not be the biggest visionaries or the most driven, but are "vital" because they make up the majority of the group and are stellar workhorses. Get rid of those who aren't regardless of their years of tenure. Yes there are still many left. Executive and senior management needs to stop rewarding the the so called "golden children." These are the "fakes," "the actors" and "workplace buddies." The golden children tend to delegate without authority. They also reap credit for work that isn't theirs.

Today, the company rewards those who least deserve it, do the least amount of work or have the least amount of vision. This practice needs to stop. Reward those who deserve to be rewarded and implement a valid, reliable, and measurable method of tracking individual success.

RSS Feed </> Embed