Southwest Water Reviews

1 Rating

1. It was wonderful.

Former Contractor - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - AUDIT Coordinator & AP Reconciliation in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Leadership was great, Office culture was friendly and great company to work

Cons

I did not work for a longer period. Therefore, no comment.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. Opportunities for learning but...

Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Utility Operator and Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about the water and waste water industry. Good benefits and will pay for your advancement in licensing paid for me to go to college to further my education Lots of overtime in the field

Cons

poor implementation of MRP and ERP software long hours company took a huge hit in 2011, many people lost their jobs during hurricane Ike disaster, I worked every day for 4 weeks, little recognition or bonus for my time away from my family. Was stationed at a facility with no resources and strict orders to not leave the facility. Some people brought me food, but I had to rely on my family to bring me essentials. Had to sleep in my truck for 3 days. Another higher ranking operator had a tree branch fall through his window, and they ordered me to swap company vehicles with him so I was driving around with a large hole in my windshield and a damaged truck. As a dispatcher management lead by the "fear for losing your job" attitude. Always coming up with procedures that made the job difficult. Upper management in the field "pawned" the West Regional Water Authority" monitoring system on to the dispatchers who were untrained to monitor the system. Any time there would be a major problem that occurred, dispatchers were targeted and fired.

3. Good experience

I worked at Southwest Water full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Coworkers were very friendly. There was always work to be done. Lots of multi-tasking and learning how different departments worked.

Cons

Sadly closed down. Company basically gave up on trying to fix any issues. Customer service was difficult, dealing with customers whose water had been shut off.

Downsizing

Pros

Good office environment generally. Flexibility in scheduling is good. Benefits are comparable for the size of the company. Salaries are comparable for the industry.

Cons

Corporate management is striving to improve upon weaknesses but methods are not necessarily market sensitive or appropriate for the size of the company.

Advice to Management

Consider the full impact of changes and methods to be sure they are compatible with the local market environment and personnel.

RSS Feed </> Embed