Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money(in 5 reviews)

• Your communication skills increase dramatically(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions(in 19 reviews)

• Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day(in 14 reviews)

A job not everyone can do

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Ewing, NJ

ProsI really like that the company gives college kids the opportunity to run their own business and potentially make a lot of money. You'll also get the chance to make a lot of really good friends, meet a lot of cool people and even meet and keep in touch with families you otherwise would've never met.

ConsIt's definitely a job that takes a certain kind of person to finish. You'll have to be very independent and be able to keep yourself motivated and positive throughout the day. You'll get a lot of doors slammed on you but you have to keep positive and go on to the next one on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish there was free housing so that we didn't have to worry about paying rent while being on commission only.

hardest lesson learned = one you remember

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe principals that they teach you and the enthusiastic people around you provides a great atmosphere to work. Most if not all the lessons are not provided by but learned through hard work and dedication. Gives college students a chance at genuinely getting communication skills. Hardest thing I've ever done but absolutely the best thing I've could've done for myself.

ConsYou're selling books door-to-door, 80 hours a week, on straight commission, by yourself, in a place you've most likely never been to, for the whole summer.

Great life experience

Organizational Leader (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosgreat company values and work culture, gives opportunity to reveal one's potential and grow as much as possible

Constime consuming, very intense adn challenging

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great opportunity in college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLearn to work hard, friendships, and emotional intelligence.

ConsIt's tough, the hours are long.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more effort into people building.

Yes, its challenging, but absolutely worth it.

Field Sales Leader (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsSWA brings College Students in as Interns and offers immediate employment after college, providing you did well in the position in the previous year. The seminars and coaching are outstanding. Seriously, I have never left a seminar NOT feeling inspired to do my job. The leaders all started where the interns did and walk the walk. This place offers true Sales and Management Experience for those willing to work. The people are quality and will be the movers and shakers of this generation.

Another thing; this company welcomes positive change and listens to its employees. Within my employment there, many ideas that I either had, or that were discussed were put into action within years, sometimes months of the idea forming.

ConsSelling Books/ Recruiting/ Managing Teams can be very challenging and you are expected to put in the hours. 80+/weekly during the summer/selling and 60+/weekly while recruiting. The system works though. Everything that is taught, is through the experience that yielded success from another Employee. The work/ life balance is not equal. Consider certain parts of this job an investment in your career bank account.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to younger employees and staying current on what future customers want in education

worth it

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsTeaches necessary skills to be successful professionally. The things I learned with southwestern have gotten me countless job interviews and is an amazing talking point in interviews.

Consthe hardest summer internship you will do (and as such the most rewarding)
    you will want to quit at some point, and powering through gives an amazing sense of accomplishment

SW Advantage is truly helping young people develop the skills they need to achieve their goals in life, 100%.

Associate Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of room for growth and GREAT loads of money to be made for those who earn it. In 12 weeks I made $20,000.

ConsIt's hard work... which is great because everyone else wants the easy way out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you!

Great learning experience, especially if you want to stand out and acquire a good background in sales. Hard work.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive managers, positive environment, encouraging, great teammates and co-workers. You get a week of training in Nashville before you go out to work, and they provide you with your starting materials. Weekly Sunday meetings are fun and constructive, since that is where managers give you feedback on your week. Competitions are motivating and friendly as well. If you are willing to put in the work, you will get results and learn a ton about yourself, working with people, and about sales.

ConsCommission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day. Lots of people quit because they couldn't handle the job, or had other life issues that interfered. Managers don't accept excuses for not working as hard as they believe you should.

Great Opportunity to Learn Your Strengths and Weaknesses

Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the most life changing experiences you will ever have! No other internship will allow you to have so much control over what you do on a daily basis. There is no filing papers, data entry, or making coffee runs. If you want to do something with your summer that most people either can't or aren't willing to do, this is the place for you. Easy to advance in the company and the pay is phenomenal if you just go to work and follow the directions of your leadership. The people that you meet will become your lifelong friends and you will have more fun than you can possibly imagine.

ConsIt can be difficult to maintain balance between your life before SW and how much you will love being a part of the SW culture. When you are not selling you are probably partying in Mexico, New Orleans, Nashville, or at a local get together. Also make sure that you make an effort to find volunteer opportunities or other internships during the fall and spring inside of your desired career field. SW will make your resume stand out but it will not provide you with your dream career if it is all you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are the leaders, your students will follow in your footsteps. Make sure that you are living a life that others should want to emulate. Don't become so focused on money that you forget about the people who got you there. And stop the gossip

Great experience

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosgreat leadership, grow a lot, build a good resume

ConsNot a lot. You have to work hard. And that is actually a positive

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to have alumni more involved.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!