Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great life experience

Organizational Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat company values and work culture, gives opportunity to reveal one's potential and grow as much as possible

Constime consuming, very intense adn challenging

You get out what you put into it

Sales Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

ProsChance for lucrative compensation in or right out of college

ConsDifficult, not structured, company mentality can sometimes verge on cultish.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time training recruits, and provide more emotional support.

Yes, its challenging, but absolutely worth it.

Field Sales Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSWA brings College Students in as Interns and offers immediate employment after college, providing you did well in the position in the previous year. The seminars and coaching are outstanding. Seriously, I have never left a seminar NOT feeling inspired to do my job. The leaders all started where the interns did and walk the walk. This place offers true Sales and Management Experience for those willing to work. The people are quality and will be the movers and shakers of this generation.

Another thing; this company welcomes positive change and listens to its employees. Within my employment there, many ideas that I either had, or that were discussed were put into action within years, sometimes months of the idea forming.

ConsSelling Books/ Recruiting/ Managing Teams can be very challenging and you are expected to put in the hours. 80+/weekly during the summer/selling and 60+/weekly while recruiting. The system works though. Everything that is taught, is through the experience that yielded success from another Employee. The work/ life balance is not equal. Consider certain parts of this job an investment in your career bank account.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to younger employees and staying current on what future customers want in education

Great experience

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat leadership, grow a lot, build a good resume

ConsNot a lot. You have to work hard. And that is actually a positive

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to have alumni more involved.

Not worth the time and money

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLooks good on a resume
You will work harder than you ever thought possible and finish your summer feeling very accomplished
I wasn't even close to a top producer and didn't buy into the cult-like mantras, etc., and I still made great money

ConsGreatly exaggerate how many kids actually break even/make any money at all
Unrealistic work schedule- I slipped a disk in my back and couldn't walk, but was berated by my manager for not putting in 80 hours that week
You only have one day off per week, but you spend most of that day in meetings
Hidden costs- you have to buy receipts, training materials, etc.
Cult-like company culture- you're made to feel like if you aren't succeeding, it's because you're deficient in personal qualities (hard work, motivation, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be realistic about what the day-to-day job looks like in the early stages of the recruiting process and be honest about the expenses that they will incur (gas, training materials, etc.); these often make it hard for employees to even break even, let alone earn money

Wonderful leadership and amazing employee's

Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe opportunity for personal growth is uncapped. The leadership and training is great.

ConsIf you do not work hard you won't make any money.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

No better way to develop professionally and personally than through a summer or two with Southwestern Advantage

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than 5 years

Pros- travel to a different part of the country (exchange program)
- great sales and marketing training from the best in the industry (over 100 hours of training)
- you earn 40% commission on all the products you sell plus monthly residual payments from their online website services
- get to meet some of the best people who will become some of your closest friends and future colleagues
- the managers really pour into you and care about you and your future
- increases your professional marketability to future employers

Cons- top students that make over $6,000 in the summer tend to work 80+ hours per week

The best thing you can do during college! LSU Geaux Tigers!

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMaking a lot of money I made over 15K in 12 weeks each summer for the last 3 summers! The most Awesome hands on experience! I am graduating in a couple weeks and people want to hire me and you learn really learn how to sell which is a great skill to have especially when companies are interviewing you! best thing I did over my college career hands down. If you are reading this review bc your on the fence if you believe in yourself and are confident in your ability to do well then you will have a great summer! I Sold in Parkersburg,WV; Orlando,FL; and Columbus,OH. Also the living with host families is awesome! ~EC~

Consyou give up your whole summer which wasnt really a big deal for me bc I got to go to different states to sell each summer! Also working 80+ hrs a week to some people may be a con but I enjoyed it you work hard all summer and play hard during the fall and spring during the school year!

Very good if you are cut throat, cold, emotionless business person

Book Salesperson (Former Employee)

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

ProsTons of connections, lots of personal success, very funny and highly motivating, definitely has the charisma to motivate people and make them think that all the factors of sales come down to them.

ConsExtremely deceitful, thinks of company first. Southwestern Advantage profits come before EVERYTHING, even your own safety. Dishonest at times, more in a sense that he will trick you into thinking everything negative is your fault. He can seem slightly sexist at times.

Advice to Senior Managementbe honest with your interns. You preach accountability but don't nesc accept it when you have failed to provide an intern with a safe place to live. Stop teaching your interns DANGEROUS WORK HABITS such as map making while driving, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen (assuming it hasn't already which im sure it has)

Southwestern is a good place to get Customer Service skills and build on your communication skills

District Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

ProsDirect contact with families
Sales training
Managers calling each day to see how your day is going
Hands on meetings to go over your stats each week

ConsLong hours 75+ hours to even get average earnings ($5000 for one summer)
There will be expenses that you may not account for

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwestern Advantage reviews and ratings in Nashville, TN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwestern Advantage CEO Henry Bedford. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Southwestern Advantage employees.