Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money(in 5 reviews)

• Your communication skills increase dramatically(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions(in 19 reviews)

• Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day(in 14 reviews)

I sold books for one summer in California

Direct Sales Executive (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsNo place like Southwestern to build character, meet motivated people and learn Sales

ConsI wasn't prepared for the sales territory that I was sent to (predominantly Mexican and unable to speak English) and occasionally it would have been nice to see more support from individual managers who didn't seem to care if you were struggling for a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in field with beginners.

Yes, it is worth the committment

ProsGreat success skills learned and you will never regret it.

ConsPotentially poor leadership if organization leaders are motivated by units more than student growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLester Crafton's groups seem to be the happiest employees

Best internship you can get while on school

ProsGreat collective
    Amazing training
    very good personal compensation
    you acquire good working habits

Consnot for everybody
    long working hours - 80h+

Advice to Senior Managementget more to know what you are selling and less focus on profit

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sw Advantage taught me success principles at an early age that helped me develop better habits and thought processes.

Salesperson/Student Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the best training around. The leaders of this company really take an interest in nurturing young minds and making leaders out of each person. I have never met a more charismatic leader than Dan Moore; his philosophies and empathy are awe-inspiring.

ConsIt is incredibly hard, every aspect of every job in this company. Some people don't like to step outside the box and work tirelessly toward a goal. I don't see this as a con for the company, but more something that some people find intolerable.

Great life experience

Organizational Leader (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosgreat company values and work culture, gives opportunity to reveal one's potential and grow as much as possible

Constime consuming, very intense adn challenging

Yes, its challenging, but absolutely worth it.

Field Sales Leader (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsSWA brings College Students in as Interns and offers immediate employment after college, providing you did well in the position in the previous year. The seminars and coaching are outstanding. Seriously, I have never left a seminar NOT feeling inspired to do my job. The leaders all started where the interns did and walk the walk. This place offers true Sales and Management Experience for those willing to work. The people are quality and will be the movers and shakers of this generation.

Another thing; this company welcomes positive change and listens to its employees. Within my employment there, many ideas that I either had, or that were discussed were put into action within years, sometimes months of the idea forming.

ConsSelling Books/ Recruiting/ Managing Teams can be very challenging and you are expected to put in the hours. 80+/weekly during the summer/selling and 60+/weekly while recruiting. The system works though. Everything that is taught, is through the experience that yielded success from another Employee. The work/ life balance is not equal. Consider certain parts of this job an investment in your career bank account.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to younger employees and staying current on what future customers want in education

Great learning experience, especially if you want to stand out and acquire a good background in sales. Hard work.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive managers, positive environment, encouraging, great teammates and co-workers. You get a week of training in Nashville before you go out to work, and they provide you with your starting materials. Weekly Sunday meetings are fun and constructive, since that is where managers give you feedback on your week. Competitions are motivating and friendly as well. If you are willing to put in the work, you will get results and learn a ton about yourself, working with people, and about sales.

ConsCommission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day. Lots of people quit because they couldn't handle the job, or had other life issues that interfered. Managers don't accept excuses for not working as hard as they believe you should.

SW Advantage is truly helping young people develop the skills they need to achieve their goals in life, 100%.

Associate Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsPlenty of room for growth and GREAT loads of money to be made for those who earn it. In 12 weeks I made $20,000.

ConsIt's hard work... which is great because everyone else wants the easy way out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you!

Great experience

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

Prosgreat leadership, grow a lot, build a good resume

ConsNot a lot. You have to work hard. And that is actually a positive

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to have alumni more involved.

Life Changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, the best training ever! Working as a student dealer was one of best decisions I ever made, Southwestern gives you a chance through their program to gain true confidence, emotional and mental toughness, and to be a part of an elite fraternity.

ConsCan be hard to leave due to the relationships and culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople before profit is what made Southwestern the company it is, at the end of the day without the people as Spencer would say we would have no company. Advise: Stop listening to accountants who never built a business and focus on the talented good people and empower them to bring Southwestern back to it's glory.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!