Southwestern Advantage Reviews

140 reviews filtered by
4.2
Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • Great people, willing to help you better yourself (in 9 reviews)

• The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 21 reviews)

• Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing (in 15 reviews)

1. A SCAM beyond SCAM ... A great bait for college students. I don't really comprehend why they have a high review.

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Building relationships and traveling to a different state with other college students --- like a mini road trip until the work starts....

Makes you learn who to trust and I got stronger mentally because I realize that companies like Southwestern company may look fancy with their big office but in the end, the college students are nothing but baits.

Shouldn't work here once you have a degree because you are better than that.

Cons

They drop me off on the streets at the ghetto area at 9 am and then pick me up around 9-10 pm at night (and yes, still on the streets). The managers do not really care for your personal situation as long as you are giving them a positive result on your sale. I've had police officers told me that what the company is doing is unsafe especially because the area has a lot of gangs, registered sex offenders etc... They sometimes send me to the firefighters office and they demand that the manager need to start picking me up there for safety reasons. (My manager was really upset and told me I should've just waited on the streets by the bench).

I've had families help me by providing food, drinks and a shelter since we are pretty much walking outside from 9 am - 10 pm

You basically go door-to-door and hope that someone will let you in or answer the door without threatening to call cops or let you know you are trespassing. The company gives you a set of notes to memorize whenever there's an objection responded to you. You don't get paid weekly. You have to knock on people's house and beg them to let you live-in with them for a summer. (They give you notes for that by the way).

You get paid at the end of the summer after you go back to Nashville. They will charge you for the sample books that you show to potential customers and once you get your check, you realize that you can actually do this in any other job.

You have to show sincerity for your employees. Stop talking bad about other college students especially freshmen students who decides to leave the program... It's like a hypocritical action. Managers want to do all the chants like: You can do it! Sell and think positive. Don't Give up!" but then when someone leaves, the manager will say: "Some people are just quitters and that's a failure."

2. Horrible experience, horrible people

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything good to say about this experience besides the fact that I made best friends because any form of communal suffering bonds people.

Cons

They are very sketchy and unclear about what the job entails. I did not know what I would be doing until I showed up at sales school several months later. They try to brainwash you by telling you if you don't finish, you will forever be a failure. They took my phone from me, read all of my messages, tried to control what I ate, when, what and when I slept, showered, etc. this is a horrible company and the managers are absolutely awful. I would spend all day hanging out with families that I met and we would figure out how to get me out of this. Awful experience please don't do it. I wish someone would have told me these things before I went.

Listen to the people you are working with. Not everyone can adapt to being robots and not having emotions.

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We work hard to make sure everyone who intends to participate and run a business selling our educational products has full knowledge prior to ... More

Nothing More Than A Sales Cult

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You will either gain a greater understanding of the tactics of a cult or simply be a member of one.

Cons

-Cult-like tactics
    -Sugarcoated rationalizations of backward thinking
    -Duping others into buying products that you wouldn't buy yourself
    -Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing
    -Possibly spending the next year of your life in a depressed state of mind, engaging in alcoholism and other bad habits
    -Engaging in the door-to-door industry, a dying business model that only makes money for the higher ups because of the multiple people who get sucked into the gig

Quit

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

I would personally like to discuss your experience if you are willing to engage with me. Trey Campbell, Director of Communications 888-602-7867

My Southwestern DISadvantage "Internship"

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I learned to stop being so trusting of people, especially recruiters.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin when thinking back when I thought I had accepted an "internship" at the end of my freshman year. My recruiter was charming, and painted a much different picture of what my summer selling books would be like. Let's just say, I arrived at Sales School and discovered the cult I was talked into being a part of. After a week of brainwashing, I left for my "HQ" in Kentucky where I was going to live with 2 peers and 1 student leader. My manager lived about an hour away from me in another house with a few other team members. The house I stayed in was barely livable and smelled of dog pee. I had to wake up at 6 am and couldn't return to the HQ til 11 pm. My territory to sell was in the rural area of Kentucky in 100 degree weather. I left before my first week finished and my only regret is attending the first info session when I first got lured into the scheme. I didn't believe all of the bad reviews until I got to experience it for myself. For those of you reading my post, you've been warned.

I would give constructive criticism here, but when I think about it, upper management is clever. They hire naive, broke college kids who are desperate for job opportunities. Then, they talk up the program, lie to the poor kids and parents, and isolate the candidates away from their support system. Meanwhile, the upper management sit pretty in their cubicles, offices, and air conditioned buildings. Well played.

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

Please give us a call to talk about your experience. I would like to know more. Trey Campbell, 888-602-7867

Cult Company! Do not fall for their trap! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! YOU WILL DIE!!!

Former Intern - Independent Contractor
    Former Intern - Independent Contractor

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People will be impressed that you actually did this job, on your next interview. Or they will think you are stupid for falling for it.

Cons

Everything. 80+ hour workweek. The place is a cult. All the positive reviews are by people who have been brainwashed. You have no free time and are treated terribly by team leaders. They disregard your safety and wellbeing. Can be put in dangerous areas/situations. Can lose money if you don't sell enough because of transportation/gas money, if you do operate out of a car (as opposed to on foot or bike). They encourage you to basically go the whole summer without eating a real meal. Talk about 1 minute showers in the morning. No base salary/pay.

Find a new business model. Stop ripping off college kids and putting them in harm's way. Focus on the product itself. Or just give up on business, all businesses have a life cycle and Southwestern's is clearly over.

All work no play

Former Intern - Bookman
    Former Intern - Bookman

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

you learn a lot about yourself, you meet new fun people. You also get good training and positive reinforcement.

Cons

Where to start...
    You are a door to door salesman who is supposed to wake up by 5:59am Monday through Saturday and work until 10pm. 100% commission and you are away from friends and family. You are encouraged to wake up ppl in the morning and night. You will lose money if you are not good

Stop with the RIDICULOUS hours for these kids and give them a base salary.

learn life skills, but at a cost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Cons

pay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

when i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

Miniature Cult

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Gives you great experiences
    Puts you out of your comfort zone

Cons

Pay is based solely on commission, less than 30%
    No downtime for anything else

Be more honest about how much you can earn during a summer.

Being a salesperson is very tough.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

You can make some money.

Cons

They take the life out of you.

Long-hard days that help you know yourself and your limits

Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO
    Former Intern - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Cold-calling, work-ethic, entrepreneurship, push you to the limit every day, sales pitch given to you, get in shape and a tan

Cons

On your own, they do not care about each individual except the high earners, home-life depends on the people they put you with, the full cost of the program is not disclosed until you are forced to pay

Southwestern Advantage Photos