Southwestern Advantage

Updated December 17, 2014
4.2

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • Great people, willing to help you better yourself (in 9 reviews)

• The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 21 reviews)

• Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing More Than A Sales Cult

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will either gain a greater understanding of the tactics of a cult or simply be a member of one.

Cons

-Cult-like tactics
    -Sugarcoated rationalizations of backward thinking
    -Duping others into buying products that you wouldn't buy yourself
    -Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing
    -Possibly spending the next year of your life in a depressed state of mind, engaging in alcoholism and other bad habits
    -Engaging in the door-to-door industry, a dying business model that only makes money for the higher ups because of the multiple people who get sucked into the gig

Quit

My Southwestern DISadvantage "Internship"

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned to stop being so trusting of people, especially recruiters.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin when thinking back when I thought I had accepted an "internship" at the end of my freshman year. My recruiter was charming, and painted a much different picture of what my summer selling books would be like. Let's just say, I arrived at Sales School and discovered the cult I was talked into being a part of. After a week of brainwashing, I left for my "HQ" in Kentucky where I was going to live with 2 peers and 1 student leader. My manager lived about an hour away from me in another house with a few other team members. The house I stayed in was barely livable and smelled of dog pee. I had to wake up at 6 am and couldn't return to the HQ til 11 pm. My territory to sell was in the rural area of Kentucky in 100 degree weather. I left before my first week finished and my only regret is attending the first info session when I first got lured into the scheme. I didn't believe all of the bad reviews until I got to experience it for myself. For those of you reading my post, you've been warned.

I would give constructive criticism here, but when I think about it, upper management is clever. They hire naive, broke college kids who are desperate for job opportunities. Then, they talk up the program, lie to the poor kids and parents, and isolate the candidates away from their support system. Meanwhile, the upper management sit pretty in their cubicles, offices, and air conditioned buildings. Well played.

Cult Company! Do not fall for their trap! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! YOU WILL DIE!!!

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

People will be impressed that you actually did this job, on your next interview. Or they will think you are stupid for falling for it.

Cons

Everything. 80+ hour workweek. The place is a cult. All the positive reviews are by people who have been brainwashed. You have no free time and are treated terribly by team leaders. They disregard your safety and wellbeing. Can be put in dangerous areas/situations. Can lose money if you don't sell enough because of transportation/gas money, if you do operate out of a car (as opposed to on foot or bike). They encourage you to basically go the whole summer without eating a real meal. Talk about 1 minute showers in the morning. No base salary/pay.

Find a new business model. Stop ripping off college kids and putting them in harm's way. Focus on the product itself. Or just give up on business, all businesses have a life cycle and Southwestern's is clearly over.

All work no play

Former Employee - Bookman
    Former Employee - Bookman

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

you learn a lot about yourself, you meet new fun people. You also get good training and positive reinforcement.

Cons

Where to start...
    You are a door to door salesman who is supposed to wake up by 5:59am Monday through Saturday and work until 10pm. 100% commission and you are away from friends and family. You are encouraged to wake up ppl in the morning and night. You will lose money if you are not good

Stop with the RIDICULOUS hours for these kids and give them a base salary.

learn life skills, but at a cost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Personal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Cons

pay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

when i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

Miniature Cult

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Gives you great experiences
    Puts you out of your comfort zone

Cons

Pay is based solely on commission, less than 30%
    No downtime for anything else

Be more honest about how much you can earn during a summer.

Being a salesperson is very tough.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

You can make some money.

Cons

They take the life out of you.

Long-hard days that help you know yourself and your limits

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Joplin, MO

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cold-calling, work-ethic, entrepreneurship, push you to the limit every day, sales pitch given to you, get in shape and a tan

Cons

On your own, they do not care about each individual except the high earners, home-life depends on the people they put you with, the full cost of the program is not disclosed until you are forced to pay

Summer of Craziness

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Good friends, the possibility of good money

Cons

Extremely long hours, unsafe territory, inexperienced management, no guarantee of money

Spend the time to look after your first year before the summer starts

Very good if you are cut throat, cold, emotionless business person

Former Employee - Book Salesperson in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Book Salesperson in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of connections, lots of personal success, very funny and highly motivating, definitely has the charisma to motivate people and make them think that all the factors of sales come down to them.

Cons

Extremely deceitful, thinks of company first. Southwestern Advantage profits come before EVERYTHING, even your own safety. Dishonest at times, more in a sense that he will trick you into thinking everything negative is your fault. He can seem slightly sexist at times.

be honest with your interns. You preach accountability but don't nesc accept it when you have failed to provide an intern with a safe place to live. Stop teaching your interns DANGEROUS WORK HABITS such as map making while driving, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen (assuming it hasn't already which im sure it has)

Southwestern Advantage Photos