Southwestern Advantage

Southwestern Advantage Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford

Henry Bedford

Pros
  • You have the opportunity to make a lot of money(in 5 reviews)

• Your communication skills increase dramatically(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions(in 19 reviews)

• Commission based, long workday, very hard work, lots of rejection, working on your own for most of the day(in 14 reviews)

Building character is not for the fainthearted.

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)

ProsPersonal growth: more opportunities than you have ever seen packed into a summer or if you decide to "full-time" as they say or work all year long recruiting as well as selling. Southwestern is for people that "work hard/play hard". People that want and need to push themselves and believe in what they are doing. There are many amazing, beautiful, people who believe in the mission and values of SouthWestern. There are some absolutely fabulous skills that can be learned if you apply yourself. There is also the opportunity incredible profit within a short period of time.

ConsThere is a real disregard for driving safety (driving too fast without seat belts to "keep momentum") and personal safety (cold calling late at night without appointments). In order to make the kind of profits that high producers make students/interns work themselves silly. I know people that were in car accidents because they fell asleep at the wheel. Many students get sick, because they don't handle the stress well. That kind of risk can carry a high reward, however, personal safety is very important.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that driving safety needs to be an important part of sales school. It needs to emphasized to org leaders that their first years need to have an emergency kit, spare tire, and good insurance---with a rental car clause. I know so many people who wrecked their cars or had to buy new cars in the middle of the summer.

I sold books for one summer in California

Direct Sales Executive (Former Employee) Monterey, CA

ProsNo place like Southwestern to build character, meet motivated people and learn Sales

ConsI wasn't prepared for the sales territory that I was sent to (predominantly Mexican and unable to speak English) and occasionally it would have been nice to see more support from individual managers who didn't seem to care if you were struggling for a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in field with beginners.

My Southwestern DISadvantage "Internship"

Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI learned to stop being so trusting of people, especially recruiters.

ConsI don't even know where to begin when thinking back when I thought I had accepted an "internship" at the end of my freshman year. My recruiter was charming, and painted a much different picture of what my summer selling books would be like. Let's just say, I arrived at Sales School and discovered the cult I was talked into being a part of. After a week of brainwashing, I left for my "HQ" in Kentucky where I was going to live with 2 peers and 1 student leader. My manager lived about an hour away from me in another house with a few other team members. The house I stayed in was barely livable and smelled of dog pee. I had to wake up at 6 am and couldn't return to the HQ til 11 pm. My territory to sell was in the rural area of Kentucky in 100 degree weather. I left before my first week finished and my only regret is attending the first info session when I first got lured into the scheme. I didn't believe all of the bad reviews until I got to experience it for myself. For those of you reading my post, you've been warned.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would give constructive criticism here, but when I think about it, upper management is clever. They hire naive, broke college kids who are desperate for job opportunities. Then, they talk up the program, lie to the poor kids and parents, and isolate the candidates away from their support system. Meanwhile, the upper management sit pretty in their cubicles, offices, and air conditioned buildings. Well played.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was the hardest work that I would never want to do again

First Year Seller (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosgreat lessons on attitude, hard work and dealing with rejection and failure

Cons13+ hour work days, no support during the week and too much driving

learn life skills, but at a cost

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsPersonal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Conspay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

Advice to Senior Managementwhen i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

Yes, it is worth the committment

ProsGreat success skills learned and you will never regret it.

ConsPotentially poor leadership if organization leaders are motivated by units more than student growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLester Crafton's groups seem to be the happiest employees

Best internship you can get while on school

ProsGreat collective
    Amazing training
    very good personal compensation
    you acquire good working habits

Consnot for everybody
    long working hours - 80h+

Advice to Senior Managementget more to know what you are selling and less focus on profit

Best internship to do while in college

Salesperson/Student Manager (Former Employee) Johnstown, PA

Prosmeet some of the best, hard working and motivated young people. This internship really prepare you for life after college and gives you the tools and intangibles to be successful. You are you're own boss and get out what you put in(experience, profit, etc.). President, CEO, Executives and managers are all really approachable and down to earth.

Consreally long hours but you are not forced to work them. Although they are necessary to be successful in this internship

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work! Continue to look for ways to expand the company

Perfect for those who are willing to step outside their comfort zone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbsolute dedication will yield enourmous results from a personal and financial point of vies.

ConsIts a 24/7 job for 12 weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Sw Advantage taught me success principles at an early age that helped me develop better habits and thought processes.

Salesperson/Student Manager (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the best training around. The leaders of this company really take an interest in nurturing young minds and making leaders out of each person. I have never met a more charismatic leader than Dan Moore; his philosophies and empathy are awe-inspiring.

ConsIt is incredibly hard, every aspect of every job in this company. Some people don't like to step outside the box and work tirelessly toward a goal. I don't see this as a con for the company, but more something that some people find intolerable.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!