Southwestern Advantage

www.southwesternadvantage.com
Employer Engaged

Best growth experience a college student could experience!

Former Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-learned a ton about myself
    -learned how to run all aspects of a business
    -made decent money (all college loans paid off)
    -pay and time in between summers allowed me to travel the world
    -made some of my best friends in the world

Cons

-long hours
    -cold calling
    -completely self driven
    (these are all how you grow though :) )

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care :)
    keep focusing on that

Amazing, challenging, and completely life-changing experience

Current Employee - Student Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage (less than a year)

Pros

1. The culture of this company is amazing. The people you work with do not care about your results they care about you as a person and helping you to develop into the best possible version of yourself. You will love the people you work with.
    2. You have the opportunity to do as well as you want. We are paid directly by how well we preform as well as on the performance of the people you recruit. This teaches you a lot of responsibility and self motivation.
    3. You have the opportunity to grow and develop this as a career or simply have it as a summer job. It is exactly what you make of it.
    4. You can interview, hire, and train individuals while you're still in college
    5. Opportunity for travel. You relocate to a different part of the United States for 3 months of the year. There are a variety of trips throughout the rest of the year for various meetings and conferences that take you anywhere from Mexico to Vegas to Tennessee.
    6. You learn a lot about your strengths and weaknesses and have the opportunity to improve on them
    7. Job opportunities after interning with Southwestern are amazing. 90% job placement after 1 year and 98% after 2 years
    8. Honestly I could continue this list but those are the main ones...

Cons

Other people won't understand your job. We do door-to-door sales. It's weird. Your family, friends, and people you're selling to probably won't understand it because it's not a typical salaried 9-5 office job. That is the biggest downside to this job. We also work a lot of hours and deal with a lot of challenges.

I have none, management of this company is phenomenal.

Great place for people who likes challenging job, broad responsibilities and growth opportunities.

Former Contractor - Student Manager in Odessa, TX
    Former Contractor - Student Manager in Odessa, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best sales and management training systems can possibly find.
    Growth-supporting environment.

Cons

Have to be ready to take all the responsibility.

Student Manager

Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in La Crosse, WI
    Former Contractor - Independent Contractor in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Success minded culture, entry level direct sales, independent contractor position. This organization taught me to figure it out, to put your head down and drive through the hard times. I can honestly say that I learned more working two summer with Southwestern than two years of business classes. It teaches one how to run there own small business.

Cons

For most college students working 6 days/ 80 hours a week is a concept they have heard and studied, however putting it into practice is different. This is a very challenging position to but oneself in. What one puts in is what they get out.

Tell more details of what is to come.

Best experience of my life. Besides the money, my 6 years with sw yielded invaluable GROWTH.

Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*best sales and leadership training in the world for college kids...really...speakers are legit.
    *travel to a cool part of the country
    *met some of my best years through incentive trips, management training trips, etc...
    *made <$260k (between personal sales and team check) over 6 summers
    *helped thousands of families in the summer
    *LEARNED FUNDAMENTAL SALES TECHNIQUES, MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES, & LIFE LESSONS that have shaped me into the 25yo woman that I am today
    *Hardest possible challenge I could have chosen for my summers (yes, a pro)

Cons

*(see last pro) This was freakin HARD
    *tons of rejection
    *straight commission
    *must have a problem-solving mentality
    *work ethic matters...no one is there to hold your hand
    *your success (or failure) is 100% up to you...which I consider a pro..

Be transparent and open with kids about personal weaknesses, challenges, and doubts. Hierarchy never promotes long-term trust. I was very grateful that my manager was that way with me. We're all growing together every day:)

If you want to change your life, do it.

Current Intern - Sales Representative
    Current Intern - Sales Representative

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to experience a new part of the country including the culture. Building interpersonal skills by interacting with so many different people creates a long lasting confidence you can't describe. Not to mention meeting families that you can help just by knocking on their door. It's an experience I said no to multiple times and my one regret is not doing it sooner.

Cons

It is hard. This job is not for everyone. It takes someone willing to work or that have a true desire to gain the skills that come from doing this job. If your the kind of person who likes a challenge and bettering yourself it is definitely something you should do.

Learn what you need at an exponential rate.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Great people, willing to help you better yourself. You get what you put into it. Its all on you to succeed.

Cons

Hard work, long hours. No base salary. All commission. The product seems to be growing out dated. Pay for your own travel.

The best and quickest (although not easiest) way to grow and stretch yourself.

Current Contractor - Sales Representative in Shelby Township, MI
    Current Contractor - Sales Representative in Shelby Township, MI

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

There are so many great reasons to work for Southwestern Advantage. The biggest reason for me is, although I am technically my own boss, the mentorship and comradery I receive from my coworkers and superiors is well, superior. Southwesterns genuinely cares about the growth of the individual. It helps that the company is structured so that superiors don't get paid unless employees perform well. We all know that the best way to get employees to perform well is to make them happy by caring about them and training them well.

Cons

Lots of leadership early on. First with leading yourself, then with leading others to do what you literally JUST did. Again, a great way to grow but definitely challenging.

Thanks for caring about me and challenging me to grow!

Best college internship

Former Contractor - Student Manager
    Former Contractor - Student Manager

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great people and coaching for support

Cons

Hardest work ever and facing lots of rejection

Incredible learning experience applicable to any industry, regardless of your professional goals.

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Excellent leadership and training. You have the opportunity to develop skills that are normally not present in entry level positions. Extremely competitive and the individuals who work here are outstanding.

Cons

Incredibly hard work and extremely risky. Expenses are completely dependent on you and it's a 100% commission job, so there's a big possibility that financially you won't want to be where you want, but at the end of the day, it's all about how hard you work

Southwestern Advantage Photos