Southwestern Advantage

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Not the most luxurious summer job...

Former Employee - First Year Salesperson in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - First Year Salesperson in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

...but there are a number of things worth considering about the summer internship. For those of us who actually abided by the proven sales techniques that we learn in sales school we fared significantly better than those who didn't. These are incredibly valuable skills that can be utilized in many professional settings. The opportunities for making a high profit are virtually all up to the individual: you can make as much money as you're willing to work for. The company also relocated all of the interns such that one would most likely work in a region of the country that they're not familiar with. There is a lot to learn about people and oneself on this internship.

Cons

Tough the company would argue otherwise, some regions are poorer than others and if you're put in one of these regions you're apt to make less money than someone else in another region will. That can be frustrating at times. Drama within the teams can also affect personal performance and morale. Internship much easier for people that already have good communication and presentation skills, and it gets even easier if you have a way to pay for your expenses while on the internship since the company pays for virtually nothing.

Advice to Management

Organization leaders and district sales managers need to find ways to improve relations between managers and first years and between OLs and the managers under them. Inter-organization drama was rampant during my first summer.

Southwestern Advantage Response

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

Feedback is always welcome! As an independent student representative, the summer sales and leadership program is certainly challenging in many aspects. It tends to attract college and university ... More

A SCAM beyond SCAM ... A great bait for college students. I don't really comprehend why they have a high review.

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Building relationships and traveling to a different state with other college students --- like a mini road trip until the work starts....

Makes you learn who to trust and I got stronger mentally because I realize that companies like Southwestern company may look fancy with their big office but in the end, the college students are nothing but baits.

Shouldn't work here once you have a degree because you are better than that.

Cons

They drop me off on the streets at the ghetto area at 9 am and then pick me up around 9-10 pm at night (and yes, still on the streets). The managers do not really care for your personal situation as long as you are giving them a positive result on your sale. I've had police officers told me that what the company is doing is unsafe especially because the area has a lot of gangs, registered sex offenders etc... They sometimes send me to the firefighters office and they demand that the manager need to start picking me up there for safety reasons. (My manager was really upset and told me I should've just waited on the streets by the bench).

I've had families help me by providing food, drinks and a shelter since we are pretty much walking outside from 9 am - 10 pm

You basically go door-to-door and hope that someone will let you in or answer the door without threatening to call cops or let you know you are trespassing. The company gives you a set of notes to memorize whenever there's an objection responded to you. You don't get paid weekly. You have to knock on people's house and beg them to let you live-in with them for a summer. (They give you notes for that by the way).

You get paid at the end of the summer after you go back to Nashville. They will charge you for the sample books that you show to potential customers and once you get your check, you realize that you can actually do this in any other job.

Advice to Management

You have to show sincerity for your employees. Stop talking bad about other college students especially freshmen students who decides to leave the program... It's like a hypocritical action. Managers want to do all the chants like: You can do it! Sell and think positive. Don't Give up!" but then when someone leaves, the manager will say: "Some people are just quitters and that's a failure."

Best Experience for students!

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

Great people to work with. Skills you will learn just in one summer, will be with you for the rest of your life. Company is based on great values.

Cons

100% commission. but that is the point.

Horrible experience, horrible people

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Louisville, KY

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't have anything good to say about this experience besides the fact that I made best friends because any form of communal suffering bonds people.

Cons

They are very sketchy and unclear about what the job entails. I did not know what I would be doing until I showed up at sales school several months later. They try to brainwash you by telling you if you don't finish, you will forever be a failure. They took my phone from me, read all of my messages, tried to control what I ate, when, what and when I slept, showered, etc. this is a horrible company and the managers are absolutely awful. I would spend all day hanging out with families that I met and we would figure out how to get me out of this. Awful experience please don't do it. I wish someone would have told me these things before I went.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you are working with. Not everyone can adapt to being robots and not having emotions.

Southwestern Advantage Response

Feb 26, 2015Director of Communications

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We work hard to make sure everyone who intends to participate and run a business selling our educational products has full knowledge prior to ... More

6. 5 Years of Experience

Former Employee - Organization Leader
    Former Employee - Organization Leader

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay: Great when you're in college
    Resume: You will stand out as a self-starter and have PLENTY to talk about in interviews
    Community: Southwestern has perfected their incentive trips and get-backs throughout the year where students are able to get continual training, meet top producers form across the world and feel apart of a positive growth culture
    Competition: Pro/Con if you thrive on competition, you played sports or feel like you're able to continually push yourself to become better then it with be your key advantage in growing your personal business every year.
    Growth: If you follow the system, you will grow immensely personally and professionally

Cons

After College: Pay, not so great. Unless you have a team that did well over the summer or your personally kicked major butt in sales, it's difficult to live on that amount for the whole year if you want to save any or especially if you have any student loans.
    Only for Driven people: Unless you're committed to spending every day of your entire summer becoming better, building your business and learning a ton- then don't do it. This isn't for the weak minding individual who sees value in a low paying but secure job. It's for the type of person is who confident in themselves and their work habits.
    Organized: In order to get a big check, you need to be dedicated to filling out your business activity reports each night or its easy to lose track of your business expenses.

Advice to Management

If you don't like or don't trust your managers who are recruiting you. Don't do it. Each organization is different, I happened to be apart of a great one.

7. Best growth experience a college student could experience!

Former Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-learned a ton about myself
    -learned how to run all aspects of a business
    -made decent money (all college loans paid off)
    -pay and time in between summers allowed me to travel the world
    -made some of my best friends in the world

Cons

-long hours
    -cold calling
    -completely self driven
    (these are all how you grow though :) )

Advice to Management

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care :)
    keep focusing on that

8. Amazing, challenging, and completely life-changing experience

Current Employee - Student Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The culture of this company is amazing. The people you work with do not care about your results they care about you as a person and helping you to develop into the best possible version of yourself. You will love the people you work with.
    2. You have the opportunity to do as well as you want. We are paid directly by how well we preform as well as on the performance of the people you recruit. This teaches you a lot of responsibility and self motivation.
    3. You have the opportunity to grow and develop this as a career or simply have it as a summer job. It is exactly what you make of it.
    4. You can interview, hire, and train individuals while you're still in college
    5. Opportunity for travel. You relocate to a different part of the United States for 3 months of the year. There are a variety of trips throughout the rest of the year for various meetings and conferences that take you anywhere from Mexico to Vegas to Tennessee.
    6. You learn a lot about your strengths and weaknesses and have the opportunity to improve on them
    7. Job opportunities after interning with Southwestern are amazing. 90% job placement after 1 year and 98% after 2 years
    8. Honestly I could continue this list but those are the main ones...

Cons

Other people won't understand your job. We do door-to-door sales. It's weird. Your family, friends, and people you're selling to probably won't understand it because it's not a typical salaried 9-5 office job. That is the biggest downside to this job. We also work a lot of hours and deal with a lot of challenges.

Advice to Management

I have none, management of this company is phenomenal.

9. Best experience of my life. Besides the money, my 6 years with sw yielded invaluable GROWTH.

Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Summer Sales/Recruiter in Athens, GA

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*best sales and leadership training in the world for college kids...really...speakers are legit.
    *travel to a cool part of the country
    *met some of my best years through incentive trips, management training trips, etc...
    *made <$260k (between personal sales and team check) over 6 summers
    *helped thousands of families in the summer
    *LEARNED FUNDAMENTAL SALES TECHNIQUES, MANAGEMENT PRINCIPLES, & LIFE LESSONS that have shaped me into the 25yo woman that I am today
    *Hardest possible challenge I could have chosen for my summers (yes, a pro)

Cons

*(see last pro) This was freakin HARD
    *tons of rejection
    *straight commission
    *must have a problem-solving mentality
    *work ethic matters...no one is there to hold your hand
    *your success (or failure) is 100% up to you...which I consider a pro..

Advice to Management

Be transparent and open with kids about personal weaknesses, challenges, and doubts. Hierarchy never promotes long-term trust. I was very grateful that my manager was that way with me. We're all growing together every day:)

10. Learn what you need at an exponential rate.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Great people, willing to help you better yourself. You get what you put into it. Its all on you to succeed.

Cons

Hard work, long hours. No base salary. All commission. The product seems to be growing out dated. Pay for your own travel.

Incredible learning experience applicable to any industry, regardless of your professional goals.

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Excellent leadership and training. You have the opportunity to develop skills that are normally not present in entry level positions. Extremely competitive and the individuals who work here are outstanding.

Cons

Incredibly hard work and extremely risky. Expenses are completely dependent on you and it's a 100% commission job, so there's a big possibility that financially you won't want to be where you want, but at the end of the day, it's all about how hard you work

RSS Feed </> Embed