Southwestern Advantage

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Learn what you need at an exponential rate.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Great people, willing to help you better yourself. You get what you put into it. Its all on you to succeed.

Cons

Hard work, long hours. No base salary. All commission. The product seems to be growing out dated. Pay for your own travel.

Incredible learning experience applicable to any industry, regardless of your professional goals.

Current Employee - Student Manager
    Current Employee - Student Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time

Pros

Excellent leadership and training. You have the opportunity to develop skills that are normally not present in entry level positions. Extremely competitive and the individuals who work here are outstanding.

Cons

Incredibly hard work and extremely risky. Expenses are completely dependent on you and it's a 100% commission job, so there's a big possibility that financially you won't want to be where you want, but at the end of the day, it's all about how hard you work

Nothing More Than A Sales Cult

Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY
    Current Employee - Direct Sales Representative in Newburgh, NY

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will either gain a greater understanding of the tactics of a cult or simply be a member of one.

Cons

-Cult-like tactics -Sugarcoated rationalizations of backward thinking -Duping others into buying products that you wouldn't buy yourself -Working 80 hours a week for possibly nothing -Possibly spending the next year of your life in a depressed state of mind, engaging in alcoholism and other bad habits -Engaging in the door-to-door industry, a dying business model that only makes money for the higher ups because of the multiple people who get sucked into the gig

Advice to Management

Quit

Southwestern Advantage Response

Feb 26, 2015 – Director of Communications

I would personally like to discuss your experience if you are willing to engage with me. Trey Campbell, Director of Communications 888-602-7867

5. Yes, it is worth the committment

Pros

Great success skills learned and you will never regret it.

Cons

Potentially poor leadership if organization leaders are motivated by units more than student growth.

Advice to Management

Lester Crafton's groups seem to be the happiest employees

It was the hardest work that I would never want to do again

Former Employee - First Year Seller in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - First Year Seller in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great lessons on attitude, hard work and dealing with rejection and failure

Cons

13+ hour work days, no support during the week and too much driving

learn life skills, but at a cost

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth: working 80 hours a week for 6 days a week as a college student really showed me the value of time and how much you can accomplish. also, i learned not to take rejection as seriously, which has helped.

Cons

pay: as a first year of course there's a learning curve, but it's straight commission. you only make 40% of what you sell. considering you put in 80 hours a week, it's usually below minimum wage if you're a first year

Advice to Management

when i considered quitting, i told my manager i had trouble staying motivated. instead of providing me with solutions and advice on how to stay motivated and addressing the problem, he just blabbed about why i should stay. on the other hand, the other leaders in the organization were very good listeners and provided me with way better advice.

8. hardest lesson learned = one you remember

Pros

The principals that they teach you and the enthusiastic people around you provides a great atmosphere to work. Most if not all the lessons are not provided by but learned through hard work and dedication. Gives college students a chance at genuinely getting communication skills. Hardest thing I've ever done but absolutely the best thing I've could've done for myself.

Cons

You're selling books door-to-door, 80 hours a week, on straight commission, by yourself, in a place you've most likely never been to, for the whole summer.

9. Great life experience

Current Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Organizational Leader in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great company values and work culture, gives opportunity to reveal one's potential and grow as much as possible

Cons

time consuming, very intense adn challenging

Yes, its challenging, but absolutely worth it.

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SWA brings College Students in as Interns and offers immediate employment after college, providing you did well in the position in the previous year. The seminars and coaching are outstanding. Seriously, I have never left a seminar NOT feeling inspired to do my job. The leaders all started where the interns did and walk the walk. This place offers true Sales and Management Experience for those willing to work. The people are quality and will be the movers and shakers of this generation. Another thing; this company welcomes positive change and listens to its employees. Within my employment there, many ideas that I either had, or that were discussed were put into action within years, sometimes months of the idea forming.

Cons

Selling Books/ Recruiting/ Managing Teams can be very challenging and you are expected to put in the hours. 80+/weekly during the summer/selling and 60+/weekly while recruiting. The system works though. Everything that is taught, is through the experience that yielded success from another Employee. The work/ life balance is not equal. Consider certain parts of this job an investment in your career bank account.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to younger employees and staying current on what future customers want in education

SW Advantage is truly helping young people develop the skills they need to achieve their goals in life, 100%.

Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Leader

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of room for growth and GREAT loads of money to be made for those who earn it. In 12 weeks I made $20,000.

Cons

It's hard work... which is great because everyone else wants the easy way out.

Advice to Management

Thank you!

RSS Feed </> Embed