Southwestern Advantage

Updated August 1, 2014

4.4

Southwestern Advantage Chairman & CEO Henry Bedford
Henry Bedford

Pros
  • The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped (in 9 reviews)

• You have the opportunity to make a lot of money (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours: these taught me how to work hard regardless of my emotions (in 19 reviews)

• 80 hours a week through torrential downpour or blistering heat waves during the summer (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Be Ready to Work... A lot

Current Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales
    Current Employee - Student Dealer/Direct Sales

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Overall, it was a good experience. I learned a lot and finished as a top first year employee and even got the President's Club award.
    You have the opportunity to make a lot of money.
    It looks great on your resume.
    All expenses paid vacation for top performers.
    Got a lot of job offers from sister companies after I graduated college, but I didn't want to make a career in this type of environment.

Cons

100+ hour work week if you want to be successful.
    Cult-like company culture (But a lot of good people).
    A lot of employers have never heard of the company, so you need to spend a lot of time explaining it on future interviews.
    The exaggerate how good their company looks on a resume.

I think the management does a good job at training and keeping employees motivated. They just need to better explain that the job is very difficult and go into more detail on the day-to-day before hiring people.

Hardest but absolutely the BEST thing I could've done for myself.

Former Employee - Independent Contractor  in  Grove City, OH
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Grove City, OH

I worked at Southwestern Advantage as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly hard working, motivated, and positive co-workers and management. Incredible sales experience. Sell 3 months out of the year, recruit and train the remaining 9. Consistent and daily support and coaching. Move as a group.

Cons

Must make a large sum of money to profit and sustain you for the remainder of the 9 months you are not being paid. Cold calling for 14 hours a day can be difficult.

I learned more with Southwestern than I did in college.

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Earn what your worth
    -awesome incentive trips
    -great people and leaders
    -opportunity for promotion
    -real-world experience while your in college
    -opportunity to work a lot of hours

Cons

-Away for the summer
    -No guarantees

Southwestern isn't for everyone and the management thinks the students should do it all the way through college and beyond. I honestly believe that every student in college with a good work ethic and drive wouldn't be able to spend their summer in a better way, however I don't believe it is a 4 year program for everyone.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Real Deal about Southwestern Advantage

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Your communication skills will enhance incredibly, your network with other people will grow, your resume will improve and you'll stand out amongst your peers

Cons

It will be very challenging for you, travel away from friends and family during the summer

Only recruit someone if you truly believe that they will do well. The more honest you are on the front end the easier it will be to train someone for success in the program.

best sales experience while in college

I worked at Southwestern Advantage

Pros

learn to work hard
    self motivation
    prospecting
    approaching
    sales cycle
    build own client base
    learn how to take rejection in sales

Cons

must be willing to work hard to get results!

Opportunity mixed with difficulty

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Westfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Westfield, NJ

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Learning practical strategies for discipline is fantastic, the communication coaching and experience is vital for success post-graduation. Real-life expectations, no babying, no guarantees and no limits. Learning how to overcome problems and maintain a positive attitude. Developing leadership skills. Amazing experience to put on a resume, though I don't intend to work for anyone else ever. This company started me on the entrepreneurial path to success and the principles I learned here will stick with me for the rest of my life. The senior management invests a ton of emotional energy in each student who works there and they have helped me to define a purpose for my life, set goals to get there and break those goals down into action steps. Plus I get free career counseling for life. I can only imagine where I would be if I had not made the decision to take a huge risk and go work HARD not at a job, but on myself.

Cons

Negative perception of MLM companies by some people in society.
    Takes a lot of pain to grow.
    I have worked every summer, though that is hardly a con, since otherwise I would've wasted them hanging out with friends and not growing.
    Money is not guaranteed, you earn what you're worth.
    Raised expectations of my potential make every other job seem quite pale in comparison. (Hard to go back to a Mitsubishi after you've driven a Cadillac.)
    This job is NOT easy. If you are not willing to work hard and grow, you will fail.

I respect and admire you all so much. Thank you for doing what you do and for helping young students like me to grow and develop our potential. I know of many students who say their lives were changed through this program.

Best College Experience in the United States!

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

World-class sales and management training. Phenomenal mentors. Incredible opportunity to develop skills, habits and attitudes that opened many doors after leaving Southwestern!

Cons

Hard work. Sacrifice summers. Freedom and flexibility to determine own schedule. Requires an individual to continually test mental and emotional boundaries and step outside comfort zone.

This experience changed my life-seriously

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I interned with this company for two years in college and worked for them full-time for an additional two years. I could go on for days about the amount of growth you receive from this experience-both personally and professionally. It is a challenging work environment that helps you to exemplify your true work ethic to future employers through the experience you're able to put on your résumé. You also receive hours of thorough sales and management training that makes you more knowledgeable than most sales people with 15 years of experience. You develop an international network, travel the country and the world, and are lead by mangers who truly care about your goals, growth, and success.

Cons

As for the summer internship, it is the single best opportunity for motivated college students. It is work-based, so if you work harder than everyone else at your current waitressing job, you will most definitely excel at this if you apply the same work ethic.
    The only "con" I experienced was that as a Corporate Recruiter, I struggled to maintain a good work-life balance and felt the need to constantly work around the clock. Other than that, yes it is a very challenging work environment but that is where the growth comes from. If work was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called work!

Keep continuing to grow and adapt to the changing times!
    Listen to your ASLs, FSLs, and CRs for valuable feedback! "Times" are not the same as they were "back in the day" when the DSMs were selling.

Could not have challenged myself more or put myself in the company of greater people. Game Changer.

Former Employee - Student Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extensive and continuous personal growth and improvement.
    Build a deep foundation of skills and character
    Supportive and encouraging environment of coworkers so will challenge and encourage you
    Great opportunity for financial gain

Cons

Very challenging and truly requires exceptional work and commitment
    Not glamorous
    Requires moving to a different state for the summer (negative for some)
    Not conducive for maintaining romantic relationships without much sacrifice and understanding

Continue to invest in your employees, they are the future makers of America

Awesome growth and great relationships

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing growing opportunities - personal growth + resume.
    Lots of support from sales managers and student managers.
    Amazing leaders and role models
    Phenomenal training on cycle of selling - prospecting, product knowledge, close.
    Great transitional job between college and career.
    Sky is the limit, great commission rate.
    Great network of alumni looking to help one another.

Cons

Long hours in selling and recruiting.
    Product needs to improve, especially the online component.
    Public relations - just nature of the job (direct selling), difficult to deal with people negatively talking about you on Facebook.

Thanks Dan, Lee, Henry, and all the other leaders for caring a lot about the students you work with. Your leadership and example are amazing.

Worked for Southwestern Advantage? Contribute to the Community!