Southwestern Advantage

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Best College Experience in the United States!

Former Employee - Field Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Field Sales Leader

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World-class sales and management training. Phenomenal mentors. Incredible opportunity to develop skills, habits and attitudes that opened many doors after leaving Southwestern!

Cons

Hard work. Sacrifice summers. Freedom and flexibility to determine own schedule. Requires an individual to continually test mental and emotional boundaries and step outside comfort zone.

This experience changed my life-seriously

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I interned with this company for two years in college and worked for them full-time for an additional two years. I could go on for days about the amount of growth you receive from this experience-both personally and professionally. It is a challenging work environment that helps you to exemplify your true work ethic to future employers through the experience you're able to put on your résumé. You also receive hours of thorough sales and management training that makes you more knowledgeable than most sales people with 15 years of experience. You develop an international network, travel the country and the world, and are lead by mangers who truly care about your goals, growth, and success.

Cons

As for the summer internship, it is the single best opportunity for motivated college students. It is work-based, so if you work harder than everyone else at your current waitressing job, you will most definitely excel at this if you apply the same work ethic. The only "con" I experienced was that as a Corporate Recruiter, I struggled to maintain a good work-life balance and felt the need to constantly work around the clock. Other than that, yes it is a very challenging work environment but that is where the growth comes from. If work was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be called work!

Advice to Management

Keep continuing to grow and adapt to the changing times! Listen to your ASLs, FSLs, and CRs for valuable feedback! "Times" are not the same as they were "back in the day" when the DSMs were selling.

3. Could not have challenged myself more or put myself in the company of greater people. Game Changer.

Former Employee - Student Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Student Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Extensive and continuous personal growth and improvement. Build a deep foundation of skills and character Supportive and encouraging environment of coworkers so will challenge and encourage you Great opportunity for financial gain

Cons

Very challenging and truly requires exceptional work and commitment Not glamorous Requires moving to a different state for the summer (negative for some) Not conducive for maintaining romantic relationships without much sacrifice and understanding

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees, they are the future makers of America

5. Wonderful leadership and amazing employee's

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity for personal growth is uncapped. The leadership and training is great.

Cons

If you do not work hard you won't make any money.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

6. Awesome growth and great relationships

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing growing opportunities - personal growth + resume. Lots of support from sales managers and student managers. Amazing leaders and role models Phenomenal training on cycle of selling - prospecting, product knowledge, close. Great transitional job between college and career. Sky is the limit, great commission rate. Great network of alumni looking to help one another.

Cons

Long hours in selling and recruiting. Product needs to improve, especially the online component. Public relations - just nature of the job (direct selling), difficult to deal with people negatively talking about you on Facebook.

Advice to Management

Thanks Dan, Lee, Henry, and all the other leaders for caring a lot about the students you work with. Your leadership and example are amazing.

Summer of Craziness

Pros

Good friends, the possibility of good money

Cons

Extremely long hours, unsafe territory, inexperienced management, no guarantee of money

Advice to Management

Spend the time to look after your first year before the summer starts

8. The best thing you can do during college! LSU Geaux Tigers!

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making a lot of money I made over 15K in 12 weeks each summer for the last 3 summers! The most Awesome hands on experience! I am graduating in a couple weeks and people want to hire me and you learn really learn how to sell which is a great skill to have especially when companies are interviewing you! best thing I did over my college career hands down. If you are reading this review bc your on the fence if you believe in yourself and are confident in your ability to do well then you will have a great summer! I Sold in Parkersburg,WV; Orlando,FL; and Columbus,OH. Also the living with host families is awesome! ~EC~

Cons

you give up your whole summer which wasnt really a big deal for me bc I got to go to different states to sell each summer! Also working 80+ hrs a week to some people may be a con but I enjoyed it you work hard all summer and play hard during the fall and spring during the school year!

9. hard work pays off

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned some valuable skills from working with southwestern that i am able to apply to all areas of my life. And because of that, my life has been an improvement all across the board. At the same time, I made some good money and made some life-long friends. All around good experience.

Cons

You will not achieve anything in life if you aren't willing to put in the effort. Effort is required at this job. This isn't something you can just 'coast' though. Your ROI is in direct proportion to the effort put forth.

Advice to Management

My career opportunities after SW were phone calls from insurance companies. Thats not what I wanted to do. I was hoping SW would be better at finding careers for students after SW career. My skills attained from sw allowed me to get a great job but career services at sw wanted to find me a job within the sister companies.

10. Best leadership & mentorship

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Southwestern Advantage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my 6th year working for Southwestern Advantage. I first heard about their summer internship during my freshman year of college at UC Berkeley from a close friend. Not only have I enjoyed my time working here, but I have also grown so much in many aspects of my professional and personal life. Besides the financial compensation and the travel opportunities, the main reason I have decided to come back year after year is the leadership and mentorship in the company. Whenever I have a question or need some advice/guidance, I can very easily and comfortably ask my regional director, and even the President or CEO. It is because of my relentless work-ethic and their leadership that I have been able to reach high levels of success and help my colleagues experience the same. While my ultimate career goal is to become am athletic coach and trainer for professionals, I can say that Southwestern has helped paved the way. And best of all, we market and sell some of the top educational resources in the market. We do a great thing!

Cons

The things that are challenging about the job, are the very reasons that give me opportunities to develop personally and professional: learning to be ok with working long hours, following through with my commitments after the feeling has passed, being a disciplined example for those who I train and lead, sacrificing the things I want in the moment for the things I want most in the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to our message of controlling only our attitudes and efforts, and letting the rest work itself out.

The toughest, most rewarding job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Southwestern Advantage part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gain concrete, marketable skills Learn and perfect soft skills Master the art of Closing

Cons

Long hours Dealing with rejection Confront fears of missing out, failure and the unknown

RSS Feed </> Embed