Southwestern College (California)

Be The First To
Add Photos

Raj K. Chopra

Adjunct Instructor

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)

ProsVery accommodating with part-timers schedules

ConsIt would be great if there were more full-time positions available

Great experience, poorly managed at times.

Food Service Worker (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsFriendly attitude from many people. Very lenient bosses. Time worked is only during school periods, so school vacations are also work vacations.

ConsThe work is not evenly distributed, as some workers do more than others, and management does little to nothing about it. Pay does not reflect amount of work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay should be relevant to amount of work done, and experience and contribution to the company, rather than a base pay and simply years of experience.

A great place to work for a student

Math Tutor (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsIt's a community college, so for those in a technical / math oriented field, it should be easy enough to get a job here. The employees are mostly friendly and open minded.

ConsThe pay is quite low. You won't want to stay here forever, but it is certainly nice to work at the same place that you go to school.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Academic Success Center tutor

Math Tutor (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsGet to meet new and interesting people.

ConsGet paid once a month and not many hours to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of.

Open Lab Tutor

Open Lab Tutor (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsTalking with people, flexible hours, great atmosphere, great job while you're in college.

ConsLow pay. Every once in a while, getting students who want you to do their work for them.

Advice to Senior Managementhigher pay

Excellent Program

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsThe Cisco program was piloted at Southwestern College.

ConsThe administrator of the school/division did not do enough to build the Computer Science / Information Systems program.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

It is all about students

Advisor (Current Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsGreat students, beautiful campus, there are a lot of people here who really care about education. I believe it would be easy for anyone to find people of like minds here to build a program.

ConsHard to make in house transitions. To go from staff to administrator or faculty can be extremely difficult if you haven't built your network well.

Lack of preparation from management.

Instructor (Former Employee) Chula Vista, CA

ProsNo Micromanagement from superiors. You either sink or swim.

ConsThe first mistake you make, your classes are canceled and you are jobless.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive specifics for expectations and realize no one is perfect.
    Time off for family/sick is important. It is unacceptable to not give leave for illness.

community newspaper

Business Manager (Former Employee)

Prosyou get to learn the business, meet alot of people and learn to deal with a lot of pressure and get things done well and fast.

Consif the advisor doesn't like you you wont advance. I saw alot of people that were really good and had alot of promise get stuck because the weren't friends with management. Because of managements age we never met deadlines even though the work was done.

Advice to Senior Managementretire already! youre too old and ruining the place.

Great Place To Work

P/T Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic place to work. Deans are flexible,but most importantly the job of teaching young and older students in a communty college environment is nothing short of rewarding.

ConsReally no downsides, of course teaching p/t is always a challenge if you have no other income, but that's what you sign up for, it is clear from hire what your maximum load can be. They do their best to give you the classes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou care and it shows, thanks for making it a great place to work. I look forward to many many more years.

Worked for Southwestern College (California)? Contribute to the Community!