Southwestern Energy

Southwestern Energy CEO Steven L. Mueller

Steven L. Mueller

Veteran's need not apply

Houston, TX

ProsCompensation and benefits are fine

ConsWhen the opportunity for a promotion became available, I was not allowed to apply for the position. When asked why, a Senior Vice President said, "I don't want to give it to a military man." The senior management team of this company is extremely hateful to those who served this country. Veteran's stay away!!!

The current leadership is lacking

Houston, TX

ProsThe benefits and work life balance

ConsThis is not a good place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and move out the incompetent leadership. The place is falling apart and it is like you do not even care.

meh, not the best place to work

Accounting (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosno pros for this company; from a higher up out look, they "mean well" but are not promoting that throughout

Consyoung group, a lot of catty girls that act like highschoolers; inability to learn, advance yourself because of the lack of knowledge sharing; promoted based on overtime

Advice to Senior Managementmany of the accounting supervisors need to be booted!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good internship but not given much direction

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsLot of hands on experience in field.

ConsNot much direction given for summer project.

Good then so-so

Production Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsDecent salary and bonus target
    Pleasant working with team members from asset mgr level and below
    Fast paced work environment

ConsExcessive micromanaging by some as well as short-sighted planning
    Good old boy network and politics still in play
    New management brought in from outside rather than promoting from within

Advice to Senior ManagementPick up employee morale to stem the tide of folks heading for the door

Awash with change

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSouthwestern Energy is a very acheivement focused company. You must perform at a high level and always focus on adding value to the company. Creating value is at the core of their principles. The has been the core factor behind their significant growth. They are now the 5th highest CNG producing company in the lower 48 states. They are poised for continued growth for many years.

ConsDepending on the nature of your role it can be a very high stress and fast paced environment. A significant amount of change is occurring across the organization so there is a lot of uncertainty and upheaval at the personal level.

(Former Employee)

ProsGood place to start where you can learn about the industry. Pay is good, but better at other competitors. Was with the company five years. People there are nice, but its either your part of the group clicks or not. Benefits are good, but can be better. They have the 9/80 work schedule, which is good for work/life balance.

ConsCompany leadership and managers are not so great, I transferred to a new position so that I can try new things and grow in company, but the training was not great at all and it took me time to grasp the basics of it. I had no experience and was told at the interview that it would take some time for me to learn and that they would work with me. This manager turned out to be evil, and
    would not give me a chance, since she kept screaming at me and was not happy about the fact that I could not get it right away. What did you expect hiring me with no experience! Anyways, after a couple of months I was let go, even thought I was improving. I spent five years in that company working hard, and they did this to me. They don't have a good training program and their managers are not great to work for, however not all are bad. I used to work for a good one before I transferred. Also, you have your little clicks and may fell like an outsider at times. I would not recommend this company to anybody, till management gets it together.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your mangers to be better leaders, and improve your training programs, instead of just throwing an employee into the battle field.

Very Glad to Work for SWN

Houston, TX

ProsGiven opportunities to work autonomously and to shine; recognized for my contributions; flexible and responsive managers; learning and training opportunities; relaxed work environment; great benefits; 9/80 schedule.

ConsUpper managment needs to entertain new ideas to get into some of the liquids-rich shale plays.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work overall. SWN has a great corporate culture, and an enjoyable company for which to work. Make 2013 a year to prove the naysayers wrong and diversify our shale portfolio!

Great company

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat employee benefits, good pay for IT talents

ConsSome of the old management from the company's earlier years are still around and making a mess. Unwilling to change/modify their style to adapt the modern day style. Can't get rid of them 'cause they been around so long.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer the old management team a golden parachute and move on.

Good instead of Great

Misc (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsHands on experience, chance to take on big challenges at all experience levels. Fast pace. Employees are rewarded for taking on responsibility.

ConsSenior Management quick to react to the market, but slow to adapt. Missed corporate opportunities in the name of saving a buck and keeping an over-tight balance sheet. The company has grown fast over the last 5 years and is still experiencing many growing pains.

Worked for Southwestern Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwestern Energy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwestern Energy CEO Steven L. Mueller. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Southwestern Energy employees.