Southwestern Energy

Add Photos

Southwestern Energy CEO Steven L. Mueller

Steven L. Mueller

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey care very much about their employees. Very family friendly, 9/80 schedule and the pay is competitive.

ConsGrowth opportunities are very limited. You have to follow the industry to promote.

Don't work here if you can help it.

Engineer (Current Employee) Conway, AR

ProsPay is ok for the area.

ConsPay is not good for the field. A lot of bad management. You get fed a lot of lies and false promises to keep you working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI could say a lot here. But, be more loyal to good employees and reward accordingly.

Do Not Work Here!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay is decent and the new building will provide value to those who live in the Woodlands/Spring area.

ConsManagement is horrible!! Growth is slow and you are fed alot of lies. There is no communication within the company. They promote a great culture but in actuality it is a Hawk Culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly- not even worth the time. You are shunned for expressing concerns or giving advice and favoritism is highly practiced.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros"The company does provide decent benifits, flexible schedule and work life balance"

Cons"Leadership does not follow the formula they preach about "right people doing the right things", to many leaders will let fantastic employees leave the company because of their own "personal" feelings. If you are an older employee do not expect the same treatment as the younger employees or the same pay, even if you have a degree. I have seen younger employees without a degree get paid more than veteran employees (with a degee). High treat their veteran employees with the respect they deserve.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your veteran employees and move them up theadvancement ladder as you do the younger employees, you might move back you the "Best places to work" survey again. Ever wonder why you keep slipping down?

Horrible raises and poor leadership

Midstream (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible, good place to learn

Conspromotions, "raises", no direction whatsoever

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is distant and relies on everyone else lower down the chain to do their work, don't do things on their own and leads to poor morale. Culture started out strong and has consistently gone downhill from 2008 forward.

Fast-paced, exciting work alongside sometimes challenging personalities.

Operations Geologist (Current Employee) Conway, AR

ProsThe company is relatively small and it's not very hard to run a new idea up the management chain. Compensation is competitive.

ConsIt's a bit of a "good old boy" mentality sometimes where it pays to know the right person further up the food chain. None of the other disciplines have any idea what it means to geosteer a well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what your people do before you mandate new workflows or software, etc.

WAKE UP!! Management!!!!

(Former Employee) Conway, AR

ProsThis company over all does good and the real people you work for are awesome. These are the ones in the trenches with you.

ConsWhen you are asked about a bride and you don't do it your screwed!!! They can do about anything and get away with it. I have tried on numerous occasions to bring this to light and you cant just prove this. Any cash deal is hidden and with out proof your the liar!!! I have worked on and off for SWN and recently had to go above this persons head to get work and after this he was sure to get me out. Guess what he did, he manipulated the upper management and they don't even realize this. Sadly I am the one to loose and this is to continue. I am still trying to fix this and bring to light. But sadly his Cloak of perfectness he has is tough to break. I have tried to work with everyone and there is no responses, I am sure he has turned me into a monster that lies and so deceitful, but this is not true, he is just like the bad uncle in the family that they just don't want to see go.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes you need to look at the real problem, The first thing to solve a problem is find out what the issue really is, listen to both sides, IMPORTANT. Then make a decision. If I came in there a preached for a while, sooner or later you would believe what I said. That does not mean its true!!!!

Poor leadership

Accountant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company readily provided technical resources. They had a cafeteria on site. They were ethical and wanted to do the right thing. I was allowed to make decisions that effected my work and collaborate with coworkers across departments.

ConsThere war some very difficult people to work with and no support management to address their behavior. Upper management provided very poor leadership and was very isolated from workers. They never solicited feedback but just kept piling on work, requiring long hours, working through holidays, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are not going to support your employees, you should at least allow middle management to make decisions regarding their employees.

Great place

Financial (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany really tries to follow the formula. Benefits and work/life balance are exceptional. Most of management is pleasant and accessible.

ConsThe job is what you make of it. I have seen new hires struggle due to insufficient training. Have seen experience passed over in favor of degrees and titles.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know and listen to the employees. Value experience and knowledge.

They hire very young landmen and put them to work without proper training and have lawsuits to show for it.

Staff Landman (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThere are no pros and this is seen in their stock price.

ConsVery political with no emphasis on results.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more experienced Landmen.

Worked for Southwestern Energy? Contribute to the Community!