Southwestern Energy

Headed in the Wrong Direction

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

9/80 Work Schedule
    New Building in 2015
    Rotational accountant program for new hires

Cons

Inconsistent with their Own Philosophy
    Weak Finance and Accounting Departments
    Unbalanced Advancement Opportunities

The company motto includes "the right people doing the right things." I feel like in 2010 when I joined the company, it was following that mantra. Over the past four years, all I have seen is a shuffling of people to positions/areas they know nothing about instead of promoting from within the experts in that area.

In oil and gas accounting, revenue and regulatory in particular, you need experts in those areas handling them. And, you need to keep those people happy and give them the ability and tools to do their jobs. This includes bonuses and promotions in line with their experience and contribution. In particular, the last year, an Internal Audit manager was put over Revenue, not once, but now twice. AP people were transferred to Regulatory. And Revenue people with tons of knowledge and experience are not being promoted. Former big four employees are moving up the ladder faster than those with years of company and industry experience. This is an industry where company knowledge and experience make a world of difference.

As the company continues to grow, my advice to management would be to fill each department manager role with someone that is an expert in that area. And allow them to build their team of experienced people. Otherwise, you are going to pay heavily down the road when you get audited. Holes in finance and accounting are often not apparent in the now, but more so later.

In my opinion, the accounting department should have been left in Fayetteville. You had an experienced group who knew their jobs well. Moving to Houston, you lost a lot of valuable people and experience. Those you did bring with you were not valued and almost all have now left SWN. The heart of the company is gone and the leadership seem to be rewarding their favorites instead of doing what is best for the company and employees.

The turnover in Accounting and Finance has been enormous the past few years, and that show continued lack of leadership in those areas and bad decision-making in appointing management. I foresee unfavorable lawsuits and audits in the future for SWN, and would discourage anyone from joining the Finance and Accounting departments because of that.

SWN doesn't want to believe it, but their bonuses and salaries are below industry comparable. They keep comparing to old data, but the best candidates are taking better opportunities.

Excellent employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation; 980; new facilities; comfort that you work for a company that actually cares about affected communities; great people; best in the business with vertical integration;

Cons

Have yet to find success in New Ventures; they've taken very large risks and it hasn't resulted in a return as yet. Since they have few major assets, it's not a place to "see everything under the sun" in oil & gas. It's domestic. It's onshore. It's unconventional. It's highly integrated. That's what it is, so don't complain when it isn't pursuing opportunities that don't fit with the strategy.

Try to hit some singles and doubles in New Ventures. You're about to generate so much positive cash flow out of Fayetteville and Marcellus that you won't have anywhere to go with it - in which case, you'll be looking at buying production or buying out another company (two very expensive options relative to organic ideas generated from New Ventures).

Good pay and benefits

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

pay and benefits are really good

Cons

New computer system does not work well for all departments

Be more pro-active with employees who want to advance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, even for Veterans!

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, benefits and they give employees what they need to do the job right. The company acts very responsible and ensures that the community is involved and aware of what is going on.

Cons

The only cons are the same as you would find in any company in this business.

Keep on doing what you are doing!

Bad place for this Veteran

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time

Pros

Salaries and benefits are within industry standards

Cons

I am a veteran who has served honorably in the U.S. armed services. The management team led by Steve Mueller has no concept of service. Therefore, they don't understand Veterans. They don't understand sacrifice, integrity, nor the unique training and experience the sets Veterans apart. I have heard several snide comments from senior management about Veterans. I also know of one senior vice president who has bragged that no Veteran will ever be promoted in his department. If some Veterans have had a good experience here, I'm happy for them, but that has not been the case for me. I feel that I owe it to my fellow brothers and sisters who have served this country to use utmost caution before signing on at Southwestern Energy.

Good Company

I worked at Southwestern Energy as an intern

Pros

They care very much about their employees. Very family friendly, 9/80 schedule and the pay is competitive.

Cons

Growth opportunities are very limited. You have to follow the industry to promote.

Don't work here if you can help it.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Conway, AR

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is ok for the area.

Cons

Pay is not good for the field. A lot of bad management. You get fed a lot of lies and false promises to keep you working there.

I could say a lot here. But, be more loyal to good employees and reward accordingly.

Do Not Work Here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is decent and the new building will provide value to those who live in the Woodlands/Spring area.

Cons

Management is horrible!! Growth is slow and you are fed alot of lies. There is no communication within the company. They promote a great culture but in actuality it is a Hawk Culture.

Honestly- not even worth the time. You are shunned for expressing concerns or giving advice and favoritism is highly practiced.

Poor Leader

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

"The company does provide decent benifits, flexible schedule and work life balance"

Cons

"Leadership does not follow the formula they preach about "right people doing the right things", to many leaders will let fantastic employees leave the company because of their own "personal" feelings. If you are an older employee do not expect the same treatment as the younger employees or the same pay, even if you have a degree. I have seen younger employees without a degree get paid more than veteran employees (with a degee). High treat their veteran employees with the respect they deserve.

Invest in your veteran employees and move them up theadvancement ladder as you do the younger employees, you might move back you the "Best places to work" survey again. Ever wonder why you keep slipping down?

Horrible raises and poor leadership

Former Employee - Midstream  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Midstream in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible, good place to learn

Cons

promotions, "raises", no direction whatsoever

Management is distant and relies on everyone else lower down the chain to do their work, don't do things on their own and leads to poor morale. Culture started out strong and has consistently gone downhill from 2008 forward.

Worked for Southwestern Energy? Contribute to the Community!