Southwestern Energy

Updated November 8, 2014

Southwestern Energy CEO Steven L. Mueller
Steven L. Mueller

Poor Leader

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

"The company does provide decent benifits, flexible schedule and work life balance"

Cons

"Leadership does not follow the formula they preach about "right people doing the right things", to many leaders will let fantastic employees leave the company because of their own "personal" feelings. If you are an older employee do not expect the same treatment as the younger employees or the same pay, even if you have a degree. I have seen younger employees without a degree get paid more than veteran employees (with a degee). High treat their veteran employees with the respect they deserve.

Invest in your veteran employees and move them up theadvancement ladder as you do the younger employees, you might move back you the "Best places to work" survey again. Ever wonder why you keep slipping down?

Horrible raises and poor leadership

Former Employee - Midstream in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Midstream in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, good place to learn

Cons

promotions, "raises", no direction whatsoever

Management is distant and relies on everyone else lower down the chain to do their work, don't do things on their own and leads to poor morale. Culture started out strong and has consistently gone downhill from 2008 forward.

WAKE UP!! Management!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Conway, AR

I worked at Southwestern Energy

Pros

This company over all does good and the real people you work for are awesome. These are the ones in the trenches with you.

Cons

When you are asked about a bride and you don't do it your screwed!!! They can do about anything and get away with it. I have tried on numerous occasions to bring this to light and you cant just prove this. Any cash deal is hidden and with out proof your the liar!!! I have worked on and off for SWN and recently had to go above this persons head to get work and after this he was sure to get me out. Guess what he did, he manipulated the upper management and they don't even realize this. Sadly I am the one to loose and this is to continue. I am still trying to fix this and bring to light. But sadly his Cloak of perfectness he has is tough to break. I have tried to work with everyone and there is no responses, I am sure he has turned me into a monster that lies and so deceitful, but this is not true, he is just like the bad uncle in the family that they just don't want to see go.

Sometimes you need to look at the real problem, The first thing to solve a problem is find out what the issue really is, listen to both sides, IMPORTANT. Then make a decision. If I came in there a preached for a while, sooner or later you would believe what I said. That does not mean its true!!!!

Poor leadership

Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company readily provided technical resources. They had a cafeteria on site. They were ethical and wanted to do the right thing. I was allowed to make decisions that effected my work and collaborate with coworkers across departments.

Cons

There war some very difficult people to work with and no support management to address their behavior. Upper management provided very poor leadership and was very isolated from workers. They never solicited feedback but just kept piling on work, requiring long hours, working through holidays, etc.

If you are not going to support your employees, you should at least allow middle management to make decisions regarding their employees.

Fast-paced, exciting work alongside sometimes challenging personalities.

Current Employee - Operations Geologist in Conway, AR
    Current Employee - Operations Geologist in Conway, AR

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is relatively small and it's not very hard to run a new idea up the management chain. Compensation is competitive.

Cons

It's a bit of a "good old boy" mentality sometimes where it pays to know the right person further up the food chain. None of the other disciplines have any idea what it means to geosteer a well.

Learn what your people do before you mandate new workflows or software, etc.

Great place

Current Employee - Financial in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company really tries to follow the formula. Benefits and work/life balance are exceptional. Most of management is pleasant and accessible.

Cons

The job is what you make of it. I have seen new hires struggle due to insufficient training. Have seen experience passed over in favor of degrees and titles.

Get to know and listen to the employees. Value experience and knowledge.

They hire very young landmen and put them to work without proper training and have lawsuits to show for it.

Former Employee - Staff Landman in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Landman in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros and this is seen in their stock price.

Cons

Very political with no emphasis on results.

Hire more experienced Landmen.

Veteran's need not apply

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are fine

Cons

When the opportunity for a promotion became available, I was not allowed to apply for the position. When asked why, a Senior Vice President said, "I don't want to give it to a military man." The senior management team of this company is extremely hateful to those who served this country. Veteran's stay away!!!

The current leadership is lacking

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time

Pros

The benefits and work life balance

Cons

This is not a good place to work

Listen to your employees and move out the incompetent leadership. The place is falling apart and it is like you do not even care.

meh, not the best place to work

Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwestern Energy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

no pros for this company; from a higher up out look, they "mean well" but are not promoting that throughout

Cons

young group, a lot of catty girls that act like highschoolers; inability to learn, advance yourself because of the lack of knowledge sharing; promoted based on overtime

many of the accounting supervisors need to be booted!