Southwestern Oregon Community College

Updated April 1, 2014
Updated April 1, 2014

3.3

CEO

Excellent College to Work For!

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College

Pros

The best part of working for Southwestern is the tight-nit feel to the company. I was very well accepted by all departments as a staff member, and I would work here for years if another position comes open. My current position is grant funded, and the grant is running out. Otherwise I would stay.

Cons

Sometimes there are challenges communicating between different departments of the college, but no more than most companies may have.

Keep up the good work!

part-time adjuct professor at SWOCC

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Coos Bay, OR
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Coos Bay, OR

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is friendly and you will find other faculty to collaborate with. You can always find people who are passionate about their jobs. They did have a new instructor orientation that was kind of helpful, especially if you don't have a lot of experience teaching.

Cons

The pay is not good. Also, It is extremely disorganized, as it took months after I started to even get my contract (everyone kept telling me this was typical). They also lost me in the system and there was a delay in getting my paycheck -- and since I hadn't seen my contract, I didn't even know how much my check would be for, when I finally go it. I was disappointed.

Simple living, small town, friendly people

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College full-time

Pros

Small beautiful campus and surrounding areas, great place for family, easy access to get around, no sales tax, friendly people

Cons

Isolated from major cities (2.5 hours to Eugene), no night life or entertainment, limited choices of ethnic foods, unpredictable weather

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SWOCC has been a good place to work and is filled with supportive staff.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coos Bay, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coos Bay, OR

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff is capable, friendly and welcoming. I have had few issues while working here. The cost of attendance is relatively low, and transferring to a university is seamless. I feel that I am valued and that the president has the best interest of the college at heart.

Cons

The college is in a rural environment, which is unappealing to some students and staff. I also wish I had more opportunity to advance my career at this institution.

Benefits good, but at the mercy of state funding for pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Coos Bay, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coos Bay, OR

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College

Pros

Good medical, vision, dental benefits, PERS retirement, paid time off

Cons

There is no accountability to employees for their work which results in those who are competant being overloaded.

Consider terminating employees who cannot function in their jobs or at least putting them on a progress plan. It is unfair to other employees, students and the community to pay employees for incompetancy.

Changes are needed.

Current Employee - Computer Technician
    Current Employee - Computer Technician

I have been working at Southwestern Oregon Community College

Pros

The students are the best reasons.

Cons

A lack of a strong leadership to lead through a difficult time.

Listen to what your employees are saying because they really know what is happening.

Worked for Southwestern Oregon Community College? Contribute to the Community!