Southwire

Add Photos

Southwire President and CEO Stuart Thorn

Stuart Thorn

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company to Work for!

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsGreat atmosphere and the company truly cares for its employees. Offer great benefits and have an onsite wellness center for doctors visits and keeping yourself physically in shape. Offer reasonable salaries and pay for the area.

ConsTake a long time to get a promotion. It can take about 4-5 yrs. Don't give raises very often. Hard work can be overlooked by management. Some employees work harder than their compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better feedback to employees. Compensate employees with better salaries if their performance calls for one.

Great emplorer which takes care of their employees.

Clerk (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsBenefits are outstanding with bonus for work well done, and cost increase in salary yearly.

ConsStaying on top of the material that the company makes and knowing what this products does so you are able to help the customer get the right product.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe review salaried and non salaried employess job descriptions to make sure there is enough differences in their jobs to credit one getting better benefits and salary than the non salaried. I think a job review every six months would help to keep employees on their toes.

Good Experience

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsGreat Insurance, Medical Facilities, Gym

ConsNo advancement opportunities if you don't have a degree

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider experience and knowledge over someone off the street.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nepotism, Cronyism, and Complete Lack of Morality Among Upper Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsCoworkers that are true friends and colleagues.

ConsNo advancement unless you are in the clique or family relation to an upper level manager.

The son of one high ranking company officer was hired after an illustrious six year college stay (to get a four year degree) for a position completely unrelated to the technical requirements of his job. What is worse is he was given free reign to do as he pleased, as anyone in charge was afraid to do or say anything. Those who spoke up were terminated...
    This company official's daughter and son's best friend were also GIVEN jobs with Southwire.
    The advantages of royal birth!

Throughout the company, many lower level managers see what is going on but turn the other way in order to keep their jobs. Most non manager employees live in constant fear of losing their jobs, as their is always talk of cutbacks.
    As another review states, "Don't believe the hype." The people in charge could care less about you or your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost mid and upper level managers need to go. If I were the Richards family, I'd also get rid of the "gentlemen" in charge, as they have no idea of the true vision of the company created by Roy Richards. This is Southwire, not Scrooge and Marley.

Very family oriented, good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsGreat people, interesting work. Good benefits

Conspaternalistic, not a very diversified professional workforce

Advice to Senior Managementdiversify your employee base

Great work experience in the wire manufacturing industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsDiverse work force, friendly, welcoming and fun-loving. Everyone has a great work ethic, and there is always plenty of work to do. Southwire is continuously growing and expanding their horizons in the wire industry.

ConsBased out of a small town in west Georgia called Carrollton. If you are someone who likes the big city, this may not be the place for you to live and work. However, there are a lot of people who commute from their respective hometowns. Carrollton is only a 45-minute drive from Atlanta, so that is something to consider.

Good company to learn at.

Intern (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsEasy access to upper management

ConsLimited room for career growth

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsGreat insurance, medical center, gym

ConsHard to move up unless you know the right people. Experience and knowledge doesn't matter anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider long term, hard working employees for promotions more.

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

Prosa lucky company who are in the right business with good products.

Consneed more involvement to build better community

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carrollton, GA

ProsI have been given an opportunity to learn and use computers at my pace mostl of it own my own, power fund, I personally belive I have benefited more than any one by the power fund., job bid system, many times you may not be experienced, but Southwire allows you to qualify by on the job training, I also know of one young man that has graduated 12 for life, that most likely droped out of school, without a future, in trade school today, insurance benefits, salary for some one like me with only a GED is great. Also I only live 20 min. away.

ConsFor a company of this caliber, roof over plant pours when it rains, the outside walls need to be replaced, the huge over head fans, should be completly covered in winter, employees plant transportation such as scooters and lift trucks should have some type of over head cover employees are riding outside in sub-zero weather when it ie cold like this past winter. The point system is a crock, because there is no accountability as to how supervisors deal with employees, if you are supervisor's pet you don't have to worry.

Worked for Southwire? Contribute to the Community!