Southwire

Add Photos

Southwire President and CEO Stuart Thorn

Stuart Thorn

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very family oriented, good experience

I worked at Southwire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, interesting work. Good benefits

Conspaternalistic, not a very diversified professional workforce

Advice to Senior Managementdiversify your employee base

Good Experience

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwire full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Insurance, Medical Facilities, Gym

ConsNo advancement opportunities if you don't have a degree

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider experience and knowledge over someone off the street.

Nepotism, Cronyism, and Complete Lack of Morality Among Upper Management

I worked at Southwire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCoworkers that are true friends and colleagues.

ConsNo advancement unless you are in the clique or family relation to an upper level manager.

The son of one high ranking company officer was hired after an illustrious six year college stay (to get a four year degree) for a position completely unrelated to the technical requirements of his job. What is worse is he was given free reign to do as he pleased, as anyone in charge was afraid to do or say anything. Those who spoke up were terminated...
This company official's daughter and son's best friend were also GIVEN jobs with Southwire.
The advantages of royal birth!

Throughout the company, many lower level managers see what is going on but turn the other way in order to keep their jobs. Most non manager employees live in constant fear of losing their jobs, as their is always talk of cutbacks.
As another review states, "Don't believe the hype." The people in charge could care less about you or your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost mid and upper level managers need to go. If I were the Richards family, I'd also get rid of the "gentlemen" in charge, as they have no idea of the true vision of the company created by Roy Richards. This is Southwire, not Scrooge and Marley.

Great work experience in the wire manufacturing industry

Carrollton, GA

I worked at Southwire as an intern for less than a year

ProsDiverse work force, friendly, welcoming and fun-loving. Everyone has a great work ethic, and there is always plenty of work to do. Southwire is continuously growing and expanding their horizons in the wire industry.

ConsBased out of a small town in west Georgia called Carrollton. If you are someone who likes the big city, this may not be the place for you to live and work. However, there are a lot of people who commute from their respective hometowns. Carrollton is only a 45-minute drive from Atlanta, so that is something to consider.

Good company to learn at.

Intern (Current Employee)
Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Southwire as an intern for less than a year

ProsEasy access to upper management

ConsLimited room for career growth

Good place to work

I have been working at Southwire

ProsGreat insurance, medical center, gym

ConsHard to move up unless you know the right people. Experience and knowledge doesn't matter anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider long term, hard working employees for promotions more.

Good place to work

I have been working at Southwire

Prosa lucky company who are in the right business with good products.

Consneed more involvement to build better community

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent!!!

I have been working at Southwire

ProsI have been given an opportunity to learn and use computers at my pace mostl of it own my own, power fund, I personally belive I have benefited more than any one by the power fund., job bid system, many times you may not be experienced, but Southwire allows you to qualify by on the job training, I also know of one young man that has graduated 12 for life, that most likely droped out of school, without a future, in trade school today, insurance benefits, salary for some one like me with only a GED is great. Also I only live 20 min. away.

ConsFor a company of this caliber, roof over plant pours when it rains, the outside walls need to be replaced, the huge over head fans, should be completly covered in winter, employees plant transportation such as scooters and lift trucks should have some type of over head cover employees are riding outside in sub-zero weather when it ie cold like this past winter. The point system is a crock, because there is no accountability as to how supervisors deal with employees, if you are supervisor's pet you don't have to worry.

The biggest little family owned subchapter S company ever, lots of drama.

I worked at Southwire

ProsSouthwire provides competitive benefits and good employee facilities. Outwardly tries to engage community with programs and notion the of family owned ties.

ConsCEO has very few ties to community other than job (permanent home in NY). "Company town" attitudes. Private company lack of accountability or scrutiny. Ethical flexibility. Condescending to workforce. Lack of diversity in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up communications and have substance behind claims of the employees of Southwire being their "most valuable asset." Stop trying to be the smartest guys (and finally one woman) in the room. Just because you are a private company doesn't mean you are out of reach of public and ethical business practices.

Professional New Hires Beware!

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Southwire

ProsIf you are near retirement, the health insurance continues after retirement.
The 401k plan is excellent.
If you want to work in Carrollton, there is definitely job security at Southwire.

ConsAt the introduction/welcome course, called Southwire 101, an annual review is mentioned. You would later come to find that Southwire does not have a performance management system, therefore there are no reviews and there are no raises unless your manager is cool to you and in with the good-old-boy commity in HR. You will typically work for 2 years before clearly understanding this 'system'.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a competent HR team, starting at the top.

Worked for Southwire? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Southwire reviews and ratings in Carrollton, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Southwire CEO Stuart Thorn. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Southwire employees.