Sovran Self Storage Reviews

2.9
Robert J. Attea

1. The best job I have ever worked with and for,

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

Managment team is wonderful, supportive, CARING, bonus every month and quarterly. 3 weeks paid time off after one day service. GREAT benefits and overall the best place to work and grow. within months you can be promoted to different area.. Wonderful place to wake up and go to each day,

Cons

Sitting at a desk with scheduled breaks and lunches are difficult to get used to if your not used to being on a TIGHT schedule, other wise NOTHING negative to say

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, great job with taking the time to grow every employee to their max ability and their full potential

2. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Burlington, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Burlington, NJ

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hour lunch break, great support from home office. Holidays off. Decent salary and benefits for full time employees

Cons

There are not many cons for this company. The budgets and reviews can be very tough to make. There is a lot of work keep up facilities.

3. My Opinion

I worked at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

I really enjoyed the days and hours I worked

Cons

The pay rate could be a lot better

Advice to Management

Increase the minimum rate to $13.00 per hour

5. Be careful.

I worked at Sovran Self Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Self storage is a great industry.

Cons

When a small grows into a large company it can be very painful.

6. It was ok

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers, parking, some team work

Cons

Company should invest more in the employees, too clicky

Advice to Management

None

7. nice

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

environment is a good place

Cons

hours are long but fair

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

Heaven or hell

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

It's a day job great for parents. A set schedule and lunch. It can be fun if you manage your time properly. If you have a manager that you get along with it can be heaven. But good communication is essential here.

Cons

God help you if you and your manager don't get along. Associate managers have no support whatsoever as far as you're concerned the manager is sovran. My area manager told me on my first day of training if I can solve a problem do so myself don't call him unless it's absolutely necessary. On a day to day my manager uses profanity and acts inappropriate at work. My training was terrible and confusing they basically handed me a book and said do you know it yet?

Advice to Management

Why are the managers not being evaluated on treating their associates fairly? Why are trainers being paid and put up in hotels if they can't thoroughly explain what's going on? Why do store managers schedule new employees alone in a store on high traffic days? It's really problematic.

Horrible work environment

Former Employee - Associate Manager II
    Former Employee - Associate Manager II

I worked at Sovran Self Storage part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours. Good vacation time

Cons

Very political. I worked as an associate manager at one of the store locations and you have no rights whatsoever. Manager gets credit for everything while associates who did all the work get nothing. But when something goes inadvertently wrong, it is automatically the associate manager's fault. It is all about who likes you and not on the good work that you do. Good work does not get recognized and upper management and corporate will always side with the manager. Always....the associate is always wrong. Your bonus is dictated by how much they like you, not by the actual work you do...hence the manager usually takes 85% of the bonus in my experience. To get ahead in the company one needs to be a suck up to upper management. If you don't do this you will get nowhere. High turnover rate. I was hired during an acquisition and had at least 10 other new hires along with me to work at the stores. By the time I left I was the only new hire employee left as many of the individuals did the smart thing and quit or they didn't kiss up to upper management and got let go. Many people have come and gone during my year there and everyone has bad things to say about the work environment. Manager would schedule associate manager by him/herself on high traffic days (usually at the beginning and end of each month) Non competitive pay. Other storage companies pay much better. I would never work for this company again and wouldn't want anyone I care about working here. Horrible corrupt people that take credit for everything, make the innocent person(s) look incompetent and the unhealthy work environment promotes animosity towards others. AVOID!

Advice to Management

Hire competent managers that encourage their associates to do better. With their current mentality I, including many others just stop caring after a while. Training should be better implemented with hands on experience rather than reading through a giant binder. Ive had questions and concerns about what to do on some occasions and my manager kept referring me to the training binder, rather than teaching me himself. That is not a good leader. Have HR actually listen to the lowly associates as many instances have gone ignored due to our title.

10. long hours for short pay.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage

Pros

free housing for employees which saves you money

Cons

they definitely do not pay you enough not even close

Advice to Management

treat you employees better, know their names

Customer Care Rep.

Current Employee - CCR in Williamsville, NY
    Current Employee - CCR in Williamsville, NY

I have been working at Sovran Self Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Give a ways at holidays, nice office, easy parking, really no other Pros to working here.

Cons

Bonus structure is at the whim of the managers and changes monthly without notification. Board members have sexual relations with call center supervisors, and promote through sexual/ family relationships. Instructed to lie to customers about the requirements of buying rental insurance. Trained to tell customers that it is a "law" they have to buy insurance. This in itself is illegal. Requires CCR's to lie to customers about their physical location, pretending to be at stores while all calls are directed to a call center in suburban Buffalo NY location.

Advice to Management

Value quality employees over uneducated family members. Don't lie about bonus structures. Stop lying about insurance requirements.

RSS Feed </> Embed