Spa Sydell

Updated May 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Reina Bermudez

Lots of potential depending on location

Atlanta, GA

ProsSpa environment and loyal customer base and frat learning atmosphere

ConsTattered linens, not enough materials in general. If there's a service, there's also a promotion for it online.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeals and discounts get bodies in the door, but wind up hurting the spa when there's a lot of confusion and bargain hunting riffraff. Lower prices and control quality of the experience better.

No longer lives up to the Sydell name. Doesn't even live up to be called much of a "Spa"!

Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat co-workers and networking! Its really good being around other spa professionals "with or without" much experience. The perspectives you get from your peers is priceless in this industry.

ConsIt is sadly obvious that the new owner does not love this company like the original owners did (unfortunately this goes without saying)! Sometimes people see an opportunity for money and that's where it ends (no concern for much more; clients included). This is why the conditions at the facilities have taken a nose dive and the treatment of employees is of no concern. Training and policies are different from location to location. Products take way too long to be replenished (but you better still sell, sell, sell)! Lying is part of the job description if you want to be in upper management (and you don't have to be a good liar at that)! The one thing that is consistent other than "greed" is that no one is safe at this place, so if the wind blows the wrong way you will be fired!

Advice to Senior ManagementBuyer beware, you may loss your soul in the process!

All about the sale, forget the customer

Esthetician (Former Employee)
    Alpharetta, GA

ProsCompensation average to above average.

ConsToo much pressure on retail sales and up-selling.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it's all about smoke and mirrors

Keyholder (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosi can get free spa services, and the job really isn't that difficult, the employees are great

Conswe never have products, we have to lie to customers about why we don't have anything, top management is crazy, no accountability for anything, top management thinks all employees are thieves and are stealing from them, main focus is on the unachievable goals and not the quality of the product we offer

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of some of the long term top managers that cause the most problems, make the spas better by fixing them up, treat employees right so they don't leave to go to other companies

wasted time

Massage Therapist (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosco-workers are friendly and easy to work with. Some managers and front desk staff are great to work with. I have worked in three locations and not all are created equal.

ConsUpper management is disrespectful to the staff. Sales are pushed heavily but they never stock any product to actually sale, yet your job is threatened if you don't meet your sales goal and it also affects who gets booked first.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on product sales and more on customer satisfaction with the services and the sales will come without forcing it down their throats.

Respect your staff. Threats are not a great means of managing people that work hard.

Update. Use better products and more natural ingredients.

It's a stressful atmosphere to work in to make our clients stress-free.

Front Desk Personnel (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsSpa Sydell is a great place to work if you are a girl (or a feminine male) that is good with talking to people, knowledgeable about massages, facials, waxing services, manicures & pedicures and so on... It's a classy place to work, so dressing nicely is a priority. Making friends with massage therapists and estheticians is a plus because they might just offer you a massage or facial! Selling our Series packages is the front desk's main goal. It gets very competitive at times, but the end result can be very rewarding at times! ($$$) Front desk is also great because you can even meet some famous people! (example: Steve Harvey!)

ConsAs with any retail shops, people that complain are always a con! People come to our spa to feel relaxed and when things go wrong, they take it out on the front desk. It's out job to try our best to make our clients feel as relaxed as possible. Sometimes it's very difficult to achieve this. Spa Sydell is a very old company, to which they have not updated their computer system or telephones. On busy days, sometimes our computers crash and makes everything SO much harder. We lose payments, clients services, clients packages they bought and so on. Without computers it makes everyone stressed. You are not supposed to come to a spa and be stressed! And even when our computers are working properly, they are still extremely slow and makes booking an appointment, searching for a client, or just about anything take twice as long as it should!!! Also our tip and gratuity situation is by cash or check only. This makes it very inconvenient for our clients who do not have cash or checks with them at the time, and the techs do not get their tips! (Very unfair to them both.)

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far at Spa Sydell, my manager has been the best! She is awesome and is really great at being fair to everyone. However, if I had some advice to give to the CEO, I would tell her to please come walk a day in our shoes. The front desk isn't so bad, but the all of the technicians (who work the hardest and EARNED a certificate in the fields that they currently practice) have recently received a pay-cut. (when they barely made enough to pay their bills in the first place.) I just feel sorry for them because they work so hard and have stuck through with all of the "ups-and-downs" that Spa Sydell has gone through in the past few years, and all the thanks they get is a pay-cut? I don't understand why she would treat them so wrongly. I suppose it's her buisness choice, but I mean, COME ON! No one deserves that!

Worked for Spa Sydell? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Spa Sydell reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Spa Sydell CEO Reina Bermudez. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Spa Sydell employees.