Space Dynamics Laboratory

Great Part-time Work for Students

Current Employee - Machine Shop Assistant  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Machine Shop Assistant in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

They very willing to work around the students schedule. They let me choose the times I will be able to come in based on my class schedule at the time.

Cons

Sometimes the work brought in makes it to where I have to stay in finishing projects later than I was planning on leaving. Also sometimes they throw the blame onto the student if something goes wrong.

Great employer, especially for students.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is great. For students, they work really well with your schedule. In fact, you set your own schedule and they're really flexible with time off. Pay is also really good, especially for a student position. Management and coworkers are friendly and fun to work with. They work with you to help you be working on things that interest you and advance your knowledge.

Cons

Can take a while to pick up on some of the practices. Many practices and procedures can be poorly defined, leading to confusion.

A Good, If Small, Company

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company leadership was fairly laid-back whenever I interacted with them. SDL, and its sponsoring organization, USURF, is involved in some very interesting projects. They host the SmallSat Conference every year in Logan, Utah. It's a VERY interesting and fun event. SDL makes sure visitors are taken care of. Same for the Calibration Conference (CalCon). And they like their own people attending these events, too.

They do issue laptops to employees (this may be dependent on where a person works).

Cons

It's a small company, so there's not much room for professional growth. If employees work off-site, there's little effort by company management to stay in touch. Sometimes this manifests in strained relationships between off-site employees and Utah management. This same disconnect can also happen with other SDL departments.

Like in any organization, work on the communications. Especially with those employees who are off-site.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I liked it because you got to work on really cool projects

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of fun, good atmosphere,

Cons

Salary, Job security may be in flux due to the nature of the funding

Great place to work as a student

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

Great experience for students to work on space flight hardware. Fun projects with real meaning. Good people work there.

Cons

Lately management has lost focus on employees. Government spending and space in general is losing funding and so goes sdl.

Focus on core specialties and don't try and open new branches anymore.

Great experience a student employee. Exposure to the real engineering world very helpful!

Current Employee - Student Engineer  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Student Engineer in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment with friendly and open management.
    Relaxed atmosphere with chances to be exposed to various aspects of engineering.
    Understanding management that has the best interest of each employee at heart.
    Contracts with and exposure to a variety of aerospace engineering companies.

Cons

I have no bad experience to share.

Great Place

Former Employee - Engineering Assistant II  in  North Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Engineering Assistant II in North Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

Great Place to work as a student. You will gain a great deal of experience. Everyone has a positive attitude and are very helpful.

Cons

No vacation, holidays or sick days for students. When projects get slowed down, the work load becomes very light to non-existent for students.

Some paid time off for students. More guidance to students on what to do when the work load gets light.

Great place to work while going to school

Current Employee - Student Software Tester  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Student Software Tester in Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

As a student working here, you get a lot of opportunities to start your career or to build a launching pad to go into something else. There is a wealth of knowledge among the people you are working around. Great pay and very flexible work schedule.

Cons

No benefits for students, but that is to be expected. Also, as a student, I often feel out of the loop on lots of things going on with the project/rest of the company.

Interact more one-on-one with your part-time students. They are a great asset to the company and present a chance for you to influence the future of the industry.

Great Place to Work as a Student

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

I worked at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

- Great Hands on Experience

Cons

- Sometimes required long hours

Keep it up.

Good place to work as a student

Current Employee - Mechanical Designer  in  North Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Designer in North Logan, UT

I have been working at Space Dynamics Laboratory

Pros

Good pay as a student
    Great people that care about your development

Cons

-Could use more time collaborating with project managers and engineers to make sure project is moving forward.
    -Sometimes I would run out of work and engineers would be too busy with other things to give direction to project

More interaction with employees could be good.

Worked for Space Dynamics Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!