Space Exploration Technologies

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Internship

Intern (Current Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsFast paced. Get really awesome real projects to work on.

ConsWork looooong hours but no weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementAwesome people to work with

Long time SpaceX engineer, still enjoying work and life outside work.

Hawthorne, CA

ProsPlenty of opportunities to excel and make a difference in the world. Possible to find a work life balance as long as you make it a priority. Get to design and build rockets!

ConsYou need to stand up for yourself, or else the company will take advantage of you. Hard to get promoted or develop a career, unless you're proactive.

Enjoyable place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsThe advancement of rocket technology has been at a snail's pace for some time. SpaceX is trying to push the boundaries to make access to space cheaper, while still being reliable. You get to work in a very fast paced environment where your work actually matters. There is a lot of freedom to give your opinion on how things should be done, which is great, it's not always one person making the decisions. It's inspiring when you read articles that show other companies' reactions to SpaceX and how they are starting to think more about efficiency and not about how much money they can make.

ConsSome areas of the company can be more demanding and you may end up working longer hours than others, but that's entirely up to how you manage your time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever hire anybody that is only looking for a job. The best part about this company is the staff and how passionate they are about what they are doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast Paced, High Energy, Motivating Workplace

Structures Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Great place to learn as a young engineer
    - Fast paced high energy work environment
    - As an entry level employee you are given a huge amount of responsibility
    - Along with the responsibility you are given a lot of freedom to try new things and encouraged by management to do so
    - Everyone at SpaceX works extremely hard towards a unified goal
    - Benefits are in-line with the amount of work put in by employees

Cons- Balance of work-life is a challenge sometimes, although when taking a job at SpaceX it is understood that you are not going to be a 40 hr/week employee. If this is an issue, the job is not for you.
    - As the number of employees continues to increase, communication and knowing who to talk to about what is becoming more difficult.

Advice to Senior Management- Continue to encourage all employees to speak up when they see an issue and see it through
    - Make sure that the company as a whole prevents bureaucracy from slipping in as we continue to grow
    - Continue to promote from within as much as possible to maintain the SpaceX culture in the management staff

Not for people with life outside the company

Hawthorne, CA

ProsIntellectually stimulating, challenging, dynamic. Cool factor.

ConsUnreasonable life/work balance expectations. Compensation is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible work schedule where it is possible and makes sense, don't lump everyone into the same pile.

A lot of the perks are gone

Hawthorne, CA

ProsRestaurant, working on cool technology, frozen yogurt, the Christmas party is bomb but it will probably go away like a lot of other perks, great benefits, stock options but that's going away too.

ConsA lot of perks are going away like no more monthly catered lunch, everyone is being converted to hourly exept managment you can thank Obama for that, lots of jerks, managers that enjoy firing people, high turnover, not family freindly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake space x more family freindly and not a greed machine for the managers that are on the take.

Great place for young engineers, not so good for the 9-to-5 types.

Avionics Engineer (Current Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsIn my second year out of school I was designing flight hardware for the Dragon capsule. As an engineer, you get involved in all aspects of your product from design to manufacturing to integration. This is a great place to cut your teeth as a young engineer.

Unfortunately, your experience will vary greatly depending on which group you join; not all managers are created equally. Some are great corporate politicans but mediocre engineers. Some know how to get large bonuses for their reports, and others don't.

People who like to do things by the book and have everything neatly tied up won't fit in here. You have to accept that everyone is rushing and often shoot from the hip; sometimes the documentation is sloppy or someone makes a mistake. If you don't have the patience to deal with it, you won't last long.

ULA is screwed. We will eat their lunch sooner or later, I guarantee it.

ConsYou will probably be somewhat underpaid. Benefits are mediocre.
    You get thrown in the deep end, sink or swim. There is no hand-holding around here.
    Often times a square peg is put into a round hole because we just need someone to do the job, and then the hapless assigned person is stuck with it forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises and bonuses seem to have more to do with which group you're in and who your manager is than how much you contribute. Management have poor BS detectors. I've seen several people get bonuses for fixing problems they caused themselves, which somehow makes them look like a hero to the managers can't see through the wool over their eyes.

Often times some young kid gets promoted into a manger, and then he grows an ego and suddenly thinks he's hot stuff. It's a tragedy.

As someone who works in IT, this place will teach you a lot.

IT Services Technician (Current Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsYou are working for a company that is doing great things for a noble goal. Launch Days are unlike any other company gathering, and really put things in perspective. Benefits are great, and a lot of employee services and pluses.

In IT, you learn anything you can, and get to go everywhere and do almost anything, so you really get to experience the entire company. From machine shops to spacecraft build areas; you help support an amazing group of people that have a common goal. Also there is room to grow, and you can definitely advance your career here.

ConsHaving a lot of responsibility can be stressful at times, but it is an amazing feeling when everything is successful, and your hard work pays off.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild the parking structure this year

Awesome

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsGood work, great people, awesome benefits.

ConsThere are no cons except long hours. But as long as you enjoy the work, this shouldn't matter.

Phenomenal Mission. Outstanding People. Fast Paced is an Understatement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Hawthorne, CA

ProsThe energy of the lobby is palpable. You know things are happening when you step into Space. The pace of the work, though, is lightning fast, with constantly changing expectations and demands. You've really got to love the mission and the brand, because you will be required to sacrifice time with loved ones to make sure you're meeting the goals set before you.

ConsWork/life balance, parking, constant change.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour people are AMAZING, but remember they are human. They can only keep up that pace for so long before they need time off or experience burn out. Appreciate the staff and they will continue to perform above expectation.

Worked for Space Exploration Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Space Exploration Technologies reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Space Exploration Technologies CEO Elon Musk. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Space Exploration Technologies employees.