Space Exploration Technologies Reviews

Reset
4.0
Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Fast paced high energy work environment (in 18 reviews)

• On the way to the rocket assembly line grab yourself a free latte or frozen yogurt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor (in 28 reviews)

• Always expected to work long hours (in 34 reviews)

1. Great Place To Be!!!!!

Current Employee - Test Technician in McGregor, TX
    Current Employee - Test Technician in McGregor, TX

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very family oriented. Great pay. Working on Rockets!!!!! Cutting edge technology !!!!!! Waco area is very cheap to live in. FOOD EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!

Cons

It seems like we are always waiting on a decision to be made. But that's ok because you always want the right decision. sometimes but not always long days

Advice to Management

A/C on the test stand would be nice lol

2. Procurement

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time

Pros

- Learning rate is in dog years - I have learned more in 4 months here than I did in a year working anywhere else - Everyone around you is one of the smartest people in their field - Unlimited amt of resources for personal improvement -Innovate it, create it, and implement it yourself attitude - Many opportunities to move up vertically and laterally - Company is open to utilizing all talents cross-functionally

Cons

- Everyone assumes their idea is the best, so processes clash frequently - Assumptions for feasible deadline dates are very ambitious - Very large assumed individual workload - Incredibly busy peers and managers so communication becomes delayed frequently

Advice to Management

- Start to collaborate on all successful implementations for processes, so that there becomes one distinct process in place - Hire administrative bodies that are department specific so communication doesn't get delayed or missed

3. Lots of hours, no real job security

Pros

There is no shortage of hours to work if you're up for it.

Cons

There are mass layoffs on a regular basis.

5. Challenging but invigorating

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you like to be constantly challenged, aren't intimidated by intelligent people or hard work, than SpaceX is the place to work. Yes, it's fast pace and yes, we can work long hours - but it's typically peaks and valleys. We don't work long hours because someone is making us. We work long hours because the work is fun and addicting. You will not be rewarded because you work long hours. You'll get rewarded because you are productive - don't get distracted by squirrels and you'll be fine. Side perk: working for SpaceX is generally a great conversation topic when meeting new people.

Cons

The company is very design engineering focused and so if you aren't a rocket designer you can be made to feel like you're less important. But I remind myself (and others) that my group supports the business systems which supports the making of the rockets which generates the cash flow needed to get to Mars.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work; we've got a lot to do.

6. Long hours

Current Employee - Final Integration Tech in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Final Integration Tech in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Lots of overtime good benefits. Relaxed work environment. Lots of room for advancement and good company benefits

Cons

Lack of organization, poor planing very junior work force lots of chiefs not enough Indians

Advice to Management

Cone down to the floor and learn what your techs are doing before you make decisions

7. Wonderful Stepping Stone for A Career

Current Employee - Apprentice Propulsion Technician in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Apprentice Propulsion Technician in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience builder on latest aerospace industry technology and propulsion. Wonderful minds to absorb information from.

Cons

Long hours in most technician areas of 50 hr work weeks. Common place to "burn out" the thrill of working on rockets within a few months. Personal note- Take your time to learn the processes THEN start picking up your general pace.

Spacex

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westchester, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good perks, good pay, exciting to watch launches live from mission control.

Cons

Long hours that may exceed 12 hr days, engineers don't take responsibility for failures, a lot of "pass the buck".......

You'll love it if you are single/ hate it if you have a family and you work second shift

Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly pushing for feedback Consistently striving for efficiancy Definitely a learning environment if you are breaking into the industry

Cons

The hiring managers are willing to settle for that cheap labor you can't be efficient and always change your process You can't build to spec and be lax on spec. you are Either building efficiently with repeatable success or inneficiently always changing the process , lowering and diminishing chances of succes..

Advice to Management

This place has lost it's Charm, it's wow factor. Management look at your resources, look at your people. look at their strengths. I came in and wanted a foot in the door. Now i'm wanting out. This place makes you feel under appreciated for the time I've spent , for the hours I've volunteered. There's a lot your metrics don't tell you.

10. Great place to work, but very demanding.

Current Employee - Buyer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Very cool place to work. Feels a lot like a startup - people are young and scrappy, and office is very modern. Anyone who tours the facility will be very impressed. The company definitely works hard to make sure you like being here. I've learned a lot and am very proud to say I work here.

Cons

Long hours, people get very demanding. There are little education resources. Also, there is a constant fear that you may get fired.

Advice to Management

Set up programs for employee's to attend education lectures/classes at local colleges. Continued education is important and would greatly benefit the company.

Drinking The Kool-Aid

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

This is very important work that has a huge impact on humanity. You'll never work anywhere else that has as much R&D or as many lofty goals. * Great food * Cheap swag * Great stock options * Support for work/life balance

Cons

The tools have suffered from owners departing and not enough people knowing how to keep them running. IT has exploded and spiderweb-ed into every part of the organization. Owning things is great but having too many chefs is a problem. The cash portion of the compensation isn't really negotiated without giving up some stock. Since the hierarchy is so flat it's hard to figure out how you can "level up" or get a significant raise.

RSS Feed </> Embed