Space Exploration Technologies

Updated December 11, 2014
3.8

Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Enjoy fast-paced environment or start-up culture (in 18 reviews)

• Free Frozen Yogurt/Sodas/Coffees (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor (in 28 reviews)

• People complain about long hours, but nobody forces you to stay for 10-12 hours a day (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Overrall great experience, Fast-paced, not a place to build a long lasting career

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will learn so much in the first years working at SpaceX than at any other company in the industry. Young engineers given incredible amount of responsibility. The more work you produce the more work you will get. You have the opportunity to work on cradle-to-grave projects. You work with a diverse group of people from various backgrounds.

Cons

The best employees/managers are former DoD employees (i.e. /Boeing/Northrop...etc.). The company is not what it used to be a few years ago (stock options are not worth it, this late in the game). Poor communication among departments, increased bureaucracy, and finger-pointing. Fro-yo and candy gets old after 3 months, compensate and recognize people for their contributions. People burn out here fast (high turnover).

Allow for increased upward mobility among employees between departments (rotation programs).
    Need more systems engineers to help improve communication between departments.
    Stop hiring people without engineering/industry relevant backgrounds (criminal justice/restaurant managers/cops...etc.).
    Improve work life balance (less hours), compensate more, offer higher education reimbursement to retain top talent or they will leave.

Intense awsome experience

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tons of learning experience
    Cool Projects

Cons

Very intense
    Long work hours
    Little training or support

Excellent Company

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies

Pros

The coworkers make this place great. Everyone is highly motivated, brilliant, and helpful. You will work a lot, learn a lot, and work on more space missions that actually fly than most people will do in their entire careers.

Cons

The long work hours take their toll over time, it's hard to keep up with the grind year after year.

Structural mechanics

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies

Pros

This company is very detailed don't be a Mr.know it all if you want a job at spacex its very simple.Know your craft,be very confident in your answer.I cant stress this enough listen,listen,listen,Give a detailed answer.The interviewer,is judging your character and demeanor.Keep it simple.

Cons

I dont know yet.Just got hired

Support your team.

Extremely disappointing experience

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been an aerospace engineer for 15 years and have been at SpaceX for several years. The best part is you get to build rockets and spaceships! This place gets a 10 on the coolness factor. Things get done very fast. This company is the future of American aerospace.

Cons

There is no work life balance. If you have a family like I do, do yourself a favor and don't even consider this place. There are a lot of young engineers who have nothing better to do than work 70-80 hrs/week and people will look down on you if you don't work at least 60. Don't try and convince yourself that you can balance work life here. Even when I did get home, I would get so hammered with emails on my phone, that I had to open up my laptop and work all night. There is no 401K matching. They give stock awards, but the taxes are so high you either have to pay tens of thousands or give up some shares. Training is non-existent, it's gotten a lot better, but still pretty bad. if you don't have a family and are willing to work at the minimum 70 hrs/week, then you can move up the ladder. There are some really good engineers who do great work, but aren't willing to put in the long hours, so they are stuck at the bottom. Many problems have risen from the large growth of the last 2 years. There are guys building engine who's previous experience is Burger King (That is not a joke!).

Give more incentives to your employees especially engineers. The majority of engineers are truly unhappy. Unhappy with pay, hours, and lack of respect. Stop basing promotions off of hours worked vs. talent. Ask people what they think is wrong with the company. Don't ask people to do things that you are not willing to do.

Work environment of Spacex

Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Communications Specialist in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

lucrative company with generous stock option offerings

Cons

Very high stress environment with poor work/life balance

interact more with the non-management staff for feedback

A revolutionary and supportive place to work if you can handle the workload.

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day I wake up and go to work on the most advanced rocketry on earth. The technical challeneges are engaging and the company provides all the resources you would need to resolve any issue. The pace is extremely fast and I see the difference I make on an almost daily basis. No matter how busy people are, I can get 30 minutes with almost anyone to ask engineering and business questions, and overall there's a strong support for education, learning, and growth.

SpaceX has all the benefits of a tech start-up without the negatives. Great food in the cafeteria (think organic, sustainable, etc.) for $5 or less, free top-notch espresso and frozen yogurt, and an endless stream of branded T-shirts.

Cons

The work can be consuming, which is more of a general warning than an actual negative comment. I find it empowering, but not everyone does. Overall financial compensation may not be as high as at larger companies, but the stock, benefits, coffee, and culture more than compensate.

Continue to grow communications as the engineering grows.

Only for the truly passionate.

Current Employee - Propulsion Analysis in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Propulsion Analysis in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned so much during my three months. I did analysis on all the SpaceX engines. Assemblies were: a lot of injector analysis, valves, propellant management devices, nozzle skirt, gas generator assembly, pressure regulators, feedlines, main oxygen valve. Extremely fast paced and the faster you are, the more work they give you. You won't get much positive feedback and you won't receive any training. Day 1 I was given a part to do thermal analysis on that was due in a week and this new design was going to be going up to space the very next launch. I couldn't sleep because I was so freaked out about something being wrong so I ended up coming in all weekend and making sure everything was correct.

Cons

I put in 50-95 hours a week and the week I only put in 50 hours was because they let me have the Friday off for working so hard. You will almost never get positive feedback because everyone is smart. I had some negative feedback because I was very loud and confident, there is no room for mistakes so it's best to be humble, even if you know you're right act like you don't, because you never have enough time to go down every path before the due date. If you are bad at multi-tasking you will fail. If you don't absolutely love what you are doing, you will fail. If you do not give 110% at all times you will fail. There is no job security, you can be working there 4 years and all of a sudden get laid off.

2 works, systems engineers. Hire some for everyone's sake.

Best place to work at!

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

+Culture
    +Projects
    +People
    +Food
    +Space
    +Elon
    +Everything, this is the perfect company to work for. You get amazing work experience working here.

Cons

+None
    +Long hours isn't a problem if you love working there, which you should.

great place to work

Former Employee - Instrumentation Technician in McGregor, TX
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Technician in McGregor, TX

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get to work on rocket engines that eventually will be in space on missions..

Cons

in the middle of nowhere and pay scale not quite up to standard for the industry..I gained incredible experience and enjoyed everyday at work...

weed out the snakes and yes men..find out who is really committed to their job and excellence..

Space Exploration Technologies Photos