Space Exploration Technologies

Space Exploration Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk

Elon Musk

Pros
  • Fast-paced environment with many opportunities to make a difference for those who are intelligent and motivated(in 16 reviews)

• Stock options are valuable and are a financial opportunity very few outside of software ever get(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor(in 17 reviews)

• People complain about long hours, but nobody forces you to stay for 10-12 hours a day(in 31 reviews)

I've had a great experience here. but i believe it's time for me to move on.

Welder (Current Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsWorking in a revolutionary company has been very exciting. Free coffee, free yogurt!, Young people working alongside each other to launch rockets. Everyday here we make history.

ConsI started as an apprentice here, I've learned a lot of welding technique, but i want to learn different metals and techniques that other companies offer.

Summer Internship

Intern (Current Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsFast paced. Get really awesome real projects to work on.

ConsWork looooong hours but no weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementAwesome people to work with

Rockets are not the only thing that can burn up

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsGreat environment for the 20 something to 30 something age driven aerospace, computer, and mechanical engineers.
    Opportunity to work on some of the most challenging projects in the industry
    There is a “cool” factor of working at SpaceX

ConsDemanding schedules and constant 55 to 60 hour work weeks will take a personal toll
    Company has little respect for experienced aerospace engineers from competitors
    Additionally, company revolves around engineers, non-engineers are tolerated
    Sink or swim approach to new employee onboarding

Advice to Senior ManagementMany recommendations however senior management believe that they already know most of the answers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced -then throw you out like a cheap handbag

Corp Recruiter (Current Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsA company that pushes you to the limit and you excel with amazing results, lots of great people working together in teams. I was in the HR team worked long hours and got paid for straight 40 hours...Humm? Its very hard to get in you must be in the 1% of the best of the best, college scores and where you went to school makes a difference. Cherry picks candidates on the JOBVITE ATS...Compliance, well lets just say..Its how they do business and no one can stop that hiring practice.

ConsYou work at least 70 hours per wk and get straight of 40 hours no overtime pay.....They do things very different than other companies in HR, people get fired left and right for no reason...Its a numbers game, dont relo because, you will be looking for work within a few wks, to a few mos. not a long term place to get a career moving forward...C-Level ttrows you out like a cheap handbag on sale. Major layoff's in HR, Engineering, and Admin. ..Top heavy and more attention to the people that make it work...The Employee's wake up and smell the free coffee....

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up CEO, COO, and Mid Mgnt...Its going to catch up to you and you will not get anyone to come and work for you....Treat people with respect (not as a number), really poor taste on one's mouth, cool office....

Concerned about Elon's and Gwynne's management style

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hawthorn, PA

ProsGreat perks, food, drink, shuttle to/from parking lot, vacation and sick time, paid holidays, paid medical benefits. Fun and casual environment. Very unique industry. Building rockets and space shuttles. Impressive site.

ConsNo work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor. 50-60+ hours per week. The recruiters in the Production Recruitment dept are very rude and bullying. They are not open to any changes and they don't welcome newcomers. They do not even know how many openings they have. SpaceX builds rockets but have no applicant tracking system! People step on their managers and VPs then go straight to CEO or CFO if they have a question or complaint, which is very unprofessional.

About 3 months ago, they let many people go in HR and hired new managers and recruiters but they let 10 people go again just this week as well, including the VP of HR who started 7 months ago, a manager who started 8 weeks ago and another one 3 weeks ago. Strangely all these people are over 40. Hmmm..

Looks like Gwynne and Elon do whatever they would like to do. They do not think of the legal implications. Soon, they will be sued by one of these people in the good old California!

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing!

A great experience, but not a great long-term employer.

Pros"Sand box" environment -- there are far less bureacratic barriers at SpaceX than anywhere else I've worked.
    Managers that truly care about the career growth of their employees.
    Extremely fast-paced environment.
    All around SpaceX is a haven for someone fresh into their career looking for big resume-building projects and opportunities.

ConsLower pay for the same job elsewhere.
    Zero work-life balance.
    Complete lack of proper tools/software, especially related to Supply Chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time on chasing projects and more time directly helping your employees.

Long time SpaceX engineer, still enjoying work and life outside work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsPlenty of opportunities to excel and make a difference in the world. Possible to find a work life balance as long as you make it a priority. Get to design and build rockets!

ConsYou need to stand up for yourself, or else the company will take advantage of you. Hard to get promoted or develop a career, unless you're proactive.

Not for people with life outside the company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hawthorne, CA

ProsIntellectually stimulating, challenging, dynamic. Cool factor.

ConsUnreasonable life/work balance expectations. Compensation is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexible work schedule where it is possible and makes sense, don't lump everyone into the same pile.

I was able to learn a lot from some talented people and my confidence grew to new heights.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits and the food

ConsIt's not what you know but who you know , the quality of people they hire is not what it used to be. Too many people fighting over referral bonuses and getting their family members in along with their friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are not open to new ideas even though they say they welcome it. Management is keeping the company from flourishing and not enough cohesion within departments.
    So many talented people it's too bad nobody is listening to their ideas. I was there for over a year and a half and I never attended a meeting in my department.

Fun place to work

Technician (Current Employee)

ProsWe build rockets ,what else could you ask for

Conspolitics, not enough qualified techs

Advice to Senior Managementimprove relations

Worked for Space Exploration Technologies? Contribute to the Community!