Space Exploration Technologies

Updated October 29, 2014
3.9

Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Enjoy fast-paced environment or start-up culture (in 18 reviews)

• Free Frozen Yogurt/Sodas/Coffees (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor (in 26 reviews)

• People complain about long hours, but nobody forces you to stay for 10-12 hours a day (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

A revolutionary and supportive place to work if you can handle the workload.

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day I wake up and go to work on the most advanced rocketry on earth. The technical challeneges are engaging and the company provides all the resources you would need to resolve any issue. The pace is extremely fast and I see the difference I make on an almost daily basis. No matter how busy people are, I can get 30 minutes with almost anyone to ask engineering and business questions, and overall there's a strong support for education, learning, and growth.

SpaceX has all the benefits of a tech start-up without the negatives. Great food in the cafeteria (think organic, sustainable, etc.) for $5 or less, free top-notch espresso and frozen yogurt, and an endless stream of branded T-shirts.

Cons

The work can be consuming, which is more of a general warning than an actual negative comment. I find it empowering, but not everyone does. Overall financial compensation may not be as high as at larger companies, but the stock, benefits, coffee, and culture more than compensate.

Continue to grow communications as the engineering grows.

Best place to work at!

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

+Culture
    +Projects
    +People
    +Food
    +Space
    +Elon
    +Everything, this is the perfect company to work for. You get amazing work experience working here.

Cons

+None
    +Long hours isn't a problem if you love working there, which you should.

great place to work

Former Employee - Instrumentation Technician in McGregor, TX
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Technician in McGregor, TX

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

you get to work on rocket engines that eventually will be in space on missions..

Cons

in the middle of nowhere and pay scale not quite up to standard for the industry..I gained incredible experience and enjoyed everyday at work...

weed out the snakes and yes men..find out who is really committed to their job and excellence..

Only for the truly passionate.

Current Employee - Propulsion Analysis in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Propulsion Analysis in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

I learned so much during my three months. I did analysis on all the SpaceX engines. Assemblies were: a lot of injector analysis, valves, propellant management devices, nozzle skirt, gas generator assembly, pressure regulators, feedlines, main oxygen valve. Extremely fast paced and the faster you are, the more work they give you. You won't get much positive feedback and you won't receive any training. Day 1 I was given a part to do thermal analysis on that was due in a week and this new design was going to be going up to space the very next launch. I couldn't sleep because I was so freaked out about something being wrong so I ended up coming in all weekend and making sure everything was correct.

Cons

I put in 50-95 hours a week and the week I only put in 50 hours was because they let me have the Friday off for working so hard. You will almost never get positive feedback because everyone is smart. I had some negative feedback because I was very loud and confident, there is no room for mistakes so it's best to be humble, even if you know you're right act like you don't, because you never have enough time to go down every path before the due date. If you are bad at multi-tasking you will fail. If you don't absolutely love what you are doing, you will fail. If you do not give 110% at all times you will fail. There is no job security, you can be working there 4 years and all of a sudden get laid off.

2 works, systems engineers. Hire some for everyone's sake.

Inventory Control

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time

Pros

great environment to work at

Cons

lack of promotions/recognition for future

Manufacturing Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

The company is fantastic because it gets things done, and done quickly. In that way, the experience that I've gained at SpaceX is unlike anything else I can get anywhere in the world. The technology keeps the employees going and the challenge of every day work never leaves you bored.

Cons

As a young engineer, even I was often overly exhausted. As a SpaceXer, one has to be ready to work 10, 12, ...14 hour days. This can really depend on your team and how HOT your work is, but it is important to know what you're getting into.

A Very Special Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No matter how much work there is to do, knowing that what you're working on is changing the world and advancing humanity makes it seem less like a job. If you're excellent at what you do and eager to achieve greatness, there's very little that will get in your way.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to accomplish everything. Parking off site.

An annual cash bonus for high performers would be a great motivator.

I would not feel safe in this company's manned spacecraft.

Former Employee - Engineering in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies (less than an year)

Pros

Very fulfulling work, feeling like you are contributing to an important chapter of history. Good cafeteria on site. The ability to walk down to the first floor and talk with shop workers about manufacturing limitations, and see spacecraft being built all around you.

Cons

SpaceX is quickly losing its small-company feel. By now it's unthinkable for the engineers actually to fabricate parts, and production parts are the high priority in the shops (not R&D). The stock options are a joke at this point, and they're bringing in a classroom full of people every week. Don't come here if you're expecting the company SpaceX was 5 years ago.

High turnover and burnout rate. Their MO is to hire fresh college graduates, overwork and underpay them for a few years because they don't know any better. There used to be free dinner at 7:30, the CEO emailed the company criticizing those who stayed until 7:30 for the dinner then left, then they just started charging for the dinner.

Meager benefits, (notice how many people list "free coffee and frozen yogurt" as 'Pros'? That should illustrate how much one has to stretch. You'll quickly tire of eating frozen yogurt every day, and how much would you be spending on your own coffee? $1.50/day? Wow, awesome 'perk.')

Universal condemnation and lack of respect for competitors, even the CEO blatantly jokes about competitors. Blind CEO/COO worship, even a senior manager commented that it's a "Emperor's New Clothes" atmosphere in that no one brings serious glaring issues to the top officials and problems get ignored and swept under the veneer of everything being great, operating nominally, etc. Of course, when you feel you could be fired any given day, why would you?

Overall a cult-like atmosphere of superiority, and yet an "us vs. them" childlike clique mentality between groups, lots of blame and finger pointing over delays. Lots of media hype-mongering as well, future projects are touted as if they're fully operational and tested, while problems with real hardware are ignored and hush-hushed. At one point a launch feed video blackout was explained away as "we decided to forego the video feed because launches have become so routine." WHAT?!

Boring location; you have to live at least 10 miles away if you want to be anywhere interesting and it takes 15 minutes to get from the parking garage to HQ.

SpaceX is an exciting place to work at. Seeing & being part of new space technologies and seeing history being made.

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern

Pros

Most people appear to be happy to be at work. Very inviting environment. Lunches and dinners at great (good employee perk)

Cons

Location is con. To come in late to stay late, work/life balance is a con. staff is primarily made up of young individuals that have.

Exciting work, especially young engineers fresh out of college

Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Awesome Work. Exciting to come to work everyday.
    You are faced with numerous engineering challenges during typical work

Cons

Lack of a good work/life balance. Long hours

Keep doing what you're doing. You guys are doing great!

Space Exploration Technologies Photos