Space Exploration Technologies Reviews

Reset
4.0
Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Fast paced high energy work environment (in 18 reviews)

• On the way to the rocket assembly line grab yourself a free latte or frozen yogurt (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor (in 28 reviews)

• Always expected to work long hours (in 34 reviews)

Read the new book about Elon - if it inspires you (like it did me), SpaceX is probably for you.

Current Employee - California in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - California in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time

Pros

When I talk about SpaceX, I don't say that it's a peak career experience - I say that it's a peak LIFETIME experience. If SpaceX is for you, it will absolutely positively blow your mind. You will never be the same again, and I mean that in the best way possible. There is a high degree of self-selection in the recruiting process at SpaceX. If you learn about Elon Musk and SpaceX and you are inspired to learn more, inspired to read and absorb everything you can about them, and are willing to do whatever it takes to get hired here, and then do whatever it takes to be successful once you ARE here, then SpaceX is definitely for you. If the preceding verbiage does not describe you, then it's probably not for you, and it's all good either way.

Cons

If SpaceX is your cup of tea, the things about SpaceX that some will describe as 'Cons' or 'Downsides' won't occur for you as such in the least. They are just part of life at the X. The reality of working at SpaceX is that it's an intense place to work. It will call you to bring your A game and find out what you're made of. Sometimes a sprint, sometimes an endurance test, sometimes both, it is a mission more than it is a job. If you're just looking for a job, don't even bother applying at SpaceX. There are many easier ways to make a buck out there. But to my knowledge, there is no company more exciting, inspiring, and awesome in the entire solar system.

2. Incredible once in a lifetime experience, great options, but low cash comp.

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible once in a lifetime experience - generally able to get any experience you are willing to work for.

Great stock options, especially for those who started early in the company.

Cons

Long hours - often unpredictable schedule.
    Cash compensation is lower than market average, especially considering the high cost of living in Los Angeles.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a clearer path toward advancement, both in terms of roles and salaries.

There needs to be a better rotation/training program for different groups/departments.

Annual cost of living raises barely cover inflation, and when rent increase in LA are taken into account, cause many to fall behind...

3. Great!

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies

Pros

Elon Musk is truly the best CEO that any employee can ever truly ask for!

Cons

There are literally no downsides or cons to working at SpaceX and working with Elon Musk!

5. SpaceX employee (3 months)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies

Pros

One of the most positive things I have noticed working at SpaceX is the passion that all employees appear to have for the overall mission. Secondly, SpaceX treats their employees very well with respect to food, drinks, and even SpaceX swag, as well as offers employees a great benefits package.

Cons

I have not personally experienced this, but in talking to current and exiting employees, the consensus seems to be that everyone loves working at SpaceX, but the pressure and time commitment is too much, especially for a family person.

Advice to Management

Hire in more knowledgeable employees to provide support and balance the workload of your existing 'High' rated employees before you lose the 'good ones'.

6. Favorite company

Current Employee - Structures Intern in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Structures Intern in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies

Pros

People always willing to help you get good information
    Free coffee, soft drinks, and frozen yogurt everyday
    Fun engineering
    Best idea wins, generally

Cons

Slightly cramped, spacially
    Files could be more organized
    Working long hours can be beneficial, but it's also a source of wasted time I'd you're not efficient with it

Advice to Management

My managers are awesome
    The only negative feedback to convey is that sometimes sometimes they can be quick to conclude a flaw with some analysis before understanding what it's doing. But regardless it still works out because it encourages you to push harder and teach everyone, which is good!

Structures Engineer Review

Current Employee - Structures Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, fast-paced working environment, high-level of trust from supervisors, exceptional food, smart people, flexible working hours, high discretionary funds, unparalleled responsibilities for young engineers

Cons

Long hours, no 401k matching, starting to get more bureaucratic in the production process, the parking structure is far away

Advice to Management

Don't build too many layers of paperwork that detract from the actual work that makes SpaceX the groundbreaking company that it is.

8. Structures Technician

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time

Pros

Challenging Work and Progression
    High Pace rewarding Environment
    Tremendous opportunity to learn and grow
    Overtime is always optional
    Given the chance to show your expertise
    Free frozen yogurt I suppose is a bonus
    Also, working/building space craft and shaping the future, whats not to love about that.

Did I mention its making history, being apart of history first hand. let that sink in.

Cons

No real work/life balance what so ever.
    Management sometimes view workers as expendable parts versus a human being
    With high stress and constant challenges, there are no real incentives or motivators aside form keeping your job.
    Have come across several individuals who have no experience in the industry at all but are somehow given a incredible amount of chances time and time again. Why?

Advice to Management

Be on the same page with one another, keep your workers informed, give incentives or rewards or even a simple nice job every now and the. When the moral gets down, do your job and look out for your crew and motivate them.

Welder

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Gregor, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mc Gregor, TX

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, and you get to work your job without being hassled.

Cons

Had to travel 2 hrs everyday for 9 months just to get to work. Made one simple mistake, and was fired the start of the following week. No warning at all!!!! They didn't even care that I was a good employee or not! I honestly think that it was more to it than that!!!! Why would you fire a good employee???? Just saying.

Advice to Management

Reward great employees with second chances!!!

Great. Was a lot of hard work until I got good at my job and now the work/life balance is quite manageable.

Current Employee - Structures Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people, awesome projects. You can gain a lot of experience and responsibility at a very young age.

Cons

When crunch time happens, hours are long. Some groups see crunch time more than others.

Advice to Management

Happiness at spacex depends on how good your manager is at managing. Reward and retain conscientious managers who push their employees but also manage work/life balance. (I like that managers are technically adept too)

Propulsion Technician

Current Employee - Propulsion Technician in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Propulsion Technician in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Very young atmosphere and very High tech materials...
    Easy job in overall as a Propulsion tech and everybody helps you get the skills necessary to accomplish your job.
    The food is just Amazing, with free Fountain drinks, Latte, Cappuccino, coffee all the times
    I feel that the place value the people that work there... and the for the hours is 10Hours minimum a day plus Saturday..... You're not obligated to... but I feel that they will let you go if you're not going to...
    Overall it's very fun to work there

Cons

High hours (Depends your department ... Other departments have lot of stress and a 11Hours expectation a day and Saturday Sunday... in the other hand other departments are just chilling ...)
    No 401K ... you get Compay Shares.... I Got 60 shares and in the other hand same tech in the same team 2 years ago got 500 Shares.... so It not a good deal anymore.

RSS Feed </> Embed