Space Exploration Technologies

Updated October 21, 2014
3.9

Space Exploration Technologies CEO and CTO Elon Musk
Elon Musk

Pros
  • Fast-paced environment with many opportunities to make a difference for those who are intelligent and motivated (in 17 reviews)

• Free Frozen Yogurt/Sodas/Coffees (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance for the people who work on the production floor (in 25 reviews)

• People complain about long hours, but nobody forces you to stay for 10-12 hours a day (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

A revolutionary and supportive place to work if you can handle the workload.

Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every day I wake up and go to work on the most advanced rocketry on earth. The technical challeneges are engaging and the company provides all the resources you would need to resolve any issue. The pace is extremely fast and I see the difference I make on an almost daily basis. No matter how busy people are, I can get 30 minutes with almost anyone to ask engineering and business questions, and overall there's a strong support for education, learning, and growth.

SpaceX has all the benefits of a tech start-up without the negatives. Great food in the cafeteria (think organic, sustainable, etc.) for $5 or less, free top-notch espresso and frozen yogurt, and an endless stream of branded T-shirts.

Cons

The work can be consuming, which is more of a general warning than an actual negative comment. I find it empowering, but not everyone does. Overall financial compensation may not be as high as at larger companies, but the stock, benefits, coffee, and culture more than compensate.

Continue to grow communications as the engineering grows.

A Very Special Place to Work

Current Employee - Manager in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No matter how much work there is to do, knowing that what you're working on is changing the world and advancing humanity makes it seem less like a job. If you're excellent at what you do and eager to achieve greatness, there's very little that will get in your way.

Cons

Not enough time in the day to accomplish everything. Parking off site.

An annual cash bonus for high performers would be a great motivator.

Manufacturing Engineer Intern

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company is fantastic because it gets things done, and done quickly. In that way, the experience that I've gained at SpaceX is unlike anything else I can get anywhere in the world. The technology keeps the employees going and the challenge of every day work never leaves you bored.

Cons

As a young engineer, even I was often overly exhausted. As a SpaceXer, one has to be ready to work 10, 12, ...14 hour days. This can really depend on your team and how HOT your work is, but it is important to know what you're getting into.

Exciting work, especially young engineers fresh out of college

Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Propulsion Engineer in Hawthorne, CA

Pros

Awesome Work. Exciting to come to work everyday.
    You are faced with numerous engineering challenges during typical work

Cons

Lack of a good work/life balance. Long hours

Keep doing what you're doing. You guys are doing great!

I would not feel safe in this company's manned spacecraft.

Former Employee - Engineering in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies (less than an year)

Pros

Very fulfulling work, feeling like you are contributing to an important chapter of history. Good cafeteria on site. The ability to walk down to the first floor and talk with shop workers about manufacturing limitations, and see spacecraft being built all around you.

Cons

SpaceX is quickly losing its small-company feel. By now it's unthinkable for the engineers actually to fabricate parts, and production parts are the high priority in the shops (not R&D). The stock options are a joke at this point, and they're bringing in a classroom full of people every week. Don't come here if you're expecting the company SpaceX was 5 years ago.

High turnover and burnout rate. Their MO is to hire fresh college graduates, overwork and underpay them for a few years because they don't know any better. There used to be free dinner at 7:30, the CEO emailed the company criticizing those who stayed until 7:30 for the dinner then left, then they just started charging for the dinner.

Meager benefits, (notice how many people list "free coffee and frozen yogurt" as 'Pros'? That should illustrate how much one has to stretch. You'll quickly tire of eating frozen yogurt every day, and how much would you be spending on your own coffee? $1.50/day? Wow, awesome 'perk.')

Universal condemnation and lack of respect for competitors, even the CEO blatantly jokes about competitors. Blind CEO/COO worship, even a senior manager commented that it's a "Emperor's New Clothes" atmosphere in that no one brings serious glaring issues to the top officials and problems get ignored and swept under the veneer of everything being great, operating nominally, etc. Of course, when you feel you could be fired any given day, why would you?

Overall a cult-like atmosphere of superiority, and yet an "us vs. them" childlike clique mentality between groups, lots of blame and finger pointing over delays. Lots of media hype-mongering as well, future projects are touted as if they're fully operational and tested, while problems with real hardware are ignored and hush-hushed. At one point a launch feed video blackout was explained away as "we decided to forego the video feed because launches have become so routine." WHAT?!

Boring location; you have to live at least 10 miles away if you want to be anywhere interesting and it takes 15 minutes to get from the parking garage to HQ.

SpaceX is an exciting place to work at. Seeing & being part of new space technologies and seeing history being made.

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Hawthorne, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Hawthorne, CA

I have been working at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern

Pros

Most people appear to be happy to be at work. Very inviting environment. Lunches and dinners at great (good employee perk)

Cons

Location is con. To come in late to stay late, work/life balance is a con. staff is primarily made up of young individuals that have.

A thrilling but challenging place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The thrill of exploring space

Cons

You will be worked to death.

Human resources should be valued as much as machines, which they are not.

My experience at SpaceX was extremely rewarding.

Former Employee - Intern in Hawthorne, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Hawthorne, CA

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

From the first week, I was given multiple projects that actually contributed to the company. I learned so much working at this company as an intern. The company is awesome, the people are unbelievably intelligent, and the projects that you get from your superiors or the ones you pick up on your own teach you more than you will ever learn in the classroom.

Cons

There is a huge learning curve at the very beginning. It took me a little over a month to know where everything is, what I needed to, and how to carry myself throughout my internship.

They don't provide feedback often. I had one review a month or so into my internship and at the very end. I think getting feedback more frequently would help a lot.

Awesome

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Space Exploration Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great money, great people all around

Cons

none, the place is awesome I have nothing bad to say

keep it up

Great experience

Current Employee - Tech Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Recruiter in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You'll be surrounded with brilliant people that are driven to do amazing things and push the boundaries of what's possible. Flexible environment with lots of freedom to excel. Good work environment.

Cons

Parking can be a pain adding a few extra minutes on to your commute but the only big gripe is that projects constantly change and you have to shift priorities quickly. If you can handle that, then you'll do fine.

Infrastructure to handle so many projects is very necessary

Space Exploration Technologies Photos