Space Micro Reviews

Launching our products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast growing, only location in San Diego. Expanded floor/lab space in 2014. Lots of interns from multiple universities.

Cons

Very fast paced-many projects in parallel.

Keep growing and get more profitable.

Great Stepping Stone to a Better Career

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

This place offers great padding for your resume out of college, but don't stay long. They'll start you at 20% below the mean salary for an engineer, and then give you 5% raises every year...if you're lucky you'll land a 10% raise, but if you do the math...that'll keep you below the mean forever. There are some fun projects to work on, and you'll get some good design experience, so get in, build your resume, and get out. They'll hire anyone...so you can definitely get in.

Cons

Low pay, poor management, late deliveries, crappy reputation in the industry, low morale, no communication between upper management and engineers...poor contract negotiation...etc...yada yada yada...this place is not a good company. Period.

Quit. Let someone buy this company before it tanks.

The place is a dump.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro full-time for more than a year

Pros

They probably won't fire you if you can do your job and are cheap. Really cheap... They recruit in all the best trailer parks.

Cons

Everything else. It's not really a serious company. It's a pump and dump. Most of their products don't work. They screw projects up all the time. They sued Boeing and lost. it's a clown show.

None. The MO of the two guys that started the company is that they "build" a company up and then sell it. Those days are probably over. Space Micro hangs on by a thread shuffling money around to pay the bills. The gross revenue was under $5M annually when I was there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting and infuriating

I have been working at Space Micro full-time

Pros

The field is fascinating, and some of the technologies are wonderful. The company seems to be fairly stable financially, though sometimes I wonder if it's just a show, as most projects appear to run late.

Cons

Federal contracting is different than the real world. Some aspects of it are good, and others are terrible. It's particularly frustrating to work hard on a project that gets shelved, sort of, but lives on for months, sometimes, as it slowly winds down. (This particular bit is in the nature of the business, and isn't really about the company)

The company itself has lots of problems, stemming mostly from the founders. Lots of ego, only moderate competence. Somebody once said something about how reality has to take precedence over public relations in technology, and it's true.

Morale is low. There's not a lot of confidence in the technical decision-making of senior management. Line management is fairly good, but they're often overruled, and it usually turns out that the line managers were right.

Stop trying to prove that you're smarter than all your (quite talented) employees, and listen to them, especially when they're suggesting you might be wrong.

Exciting field, terrible place to work

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Space Micro full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Really exciting projects with lots of opportunity
    Although you can get mandatory unpaid overtime for years on end with no bonus, most people ignore management and don't show up without getting in trouble

Cons

Management decisions seem to be random. Design specs are written against analysis of engineers. People let go for false reasons. May be asked to do things which could be considered fraudulent. May be asked to do a bad job when a good job would cost less and be faster. Exciting projects are rarely carried out in a way which meets their potential.

Competitive salary. Be realistic about time required for projects. Can't have a "state of emergency" for more than a few years at a time. Promoting experienced staff when an opening appears would help congeal support. Allow projects to succeed.

Fast-paced, growing and exciting new space technology

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is winning more business in a tough DoD and NASA space market. We actually get our electronics launched into in space orbit. Our space transponders went into orbit last month to study the sun.

Cons

Almost too many projects-keep getting more contracts before the last one is done ! This is a mixed bag since that fuels the company growth.

Spend more time on training new junior employees.

The best new product development experience I've had and these products go to Space!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro full-time

Pros

Space Micro offers a challenging engineering environment with multi-disciplinary teams focused on new product development. Wide variety of space projects to work on with other dedicated engineers. Great to see progression from ideas to products shipped.

Cons

There can be periods with long work weeks and as a small business there aren't many luxury items.

Keep the interesting work coming in the door and the engineering staff will enjoy the collaborative development environment.

Interesting Technology, Bad Management

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Space Micro

Pros

Interesting technology dealing with electronics that are used (or supposed to be used) for space. A lot of my coworkers are pretty cool and really know their stuff. I get to work in the lab, which I enjoy. My last job I had to work a lot with technicians, and I think it's better to have the design engineer be the first person to bring up a new design (like a board). I get to do that here.

Cons

Management is not very good here. Very little planning, everything seems to happen in some type of "emergency mode" instead of actually being planned, thought out, and organized. It seems like the owners don't think that such stuff is important. We had one manager that was pretty good at all that stuff, but they got rid of him. Since then, we feel like there is no one that really knows how to run stuff and do things the right way and allow us to do good work.

None of us (at least the engineers) got a raise last year because the company is losing money. That's not the engineers' fault, the problem is that the projects are all bid and sold at really low prices and with schedules that make no sense. It seems like whoever is doing that really does not understand how tough and complicated these projects are. So we have to work like crazy, don't get overtime, don't get raises, to somehow make up for the fact that management screwed up.

We get very little feedback from managers in general. Certainly not much positive feedback anymore. When we do get feedback its negative, or we are told we are taking too long or not working enough hours. But again, the problem is that the owners have no clue just how complicated it is to do these types of boards.

My last review (last fall in 2011) was a joke. I had one about a year before (fall 2010) and that was pretty good. The guy who did it actually knew what I had done, and we got to talk for like 2 hours. The guy listened to what I had to say, asked me what I wanted to do, what we could do better, and how I might like to help. He told me ways that I could improve, but he was pretty fair about it I guess. The review I had last fall was different. It was a joke. The guy who did it had little clue about what I do, what I did, and what I wanted to do. Plus he didn't seem to care. He sat me down and said what he had to say, and after that, he was done. It was more like him just telling me how he thought I did (but again, he really didn't know) and he really didn't care what I had to say at all.

I would like to give more info but I probably shouldn't. The company is pretty small (like 40 people) and if I give too much detail, they will probably figure out who I am!

Get some people that really know how to plan and manage projects. Get us engineers involved at those early steps so we can start things right, even as early as when we are bidding projects so that we at least have some hope of doing good engineering and meeting schedules.

Frustrating

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at Space Micro

Pros

I get to work on high-end EE designs.

Cons

We are working to design some high end RF devices but we arent really allowed to do our work properly. One manager here (who has never designed a radio ever) makes arbitrary design decisions that make no sense. Then its up to us engineers to somehow make these things work. One guy got so upset that he put his fist through a wall in our of our hallways (the company put a sign up in front of it so no one would see the hole). The schedules and organization is ridiculous. We are working our tails off to meet some deadline in the next few weeks, and none of us engineers think its even possible. And management just doesnt want to hear what we have to say. At least they are paying us overtime, but its kind of a waste seeing that the dealine is pretty much impossible.

Make schedules that make sense. We dont mind working hard, but if a schedule is just impossible then its like pointless to even try. Get some real Managers in here and get things organized. By the way, the CEO is a pretty nice guy in a lot of ways, but he doesnt understand really whats going on. He is not the real problem. The biggest problem is someone else, but I am not going to mention names.

Worked for Space Micro? Contribute to the Community!