Space Systems/Loral

Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Space Systems/Loral President John Celli
John Celli

Pros
  • Ever since I've been with the company the work life balance has been great (in 12 reviews)

• great culture, great people, sometimes is pretty laidback, sometimes is pretty busy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of touch upper management with lots of redundant layers (in 8 reviews)

• work/life balance tends to be unbalanced due to fast paced schedules (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

INTERN Great people, great intern treatment, boring work

Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Paid for flights and housing. All of the people are very friendly and didn't get frustrated having to fill me in on technical information I didn't know.

Cons

Work was very Microsoft Office oriented, which is disappointing for a mechanical engineer.

Nice people, reasonable pace to learn and lots of training

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-very nice coworkers
    -company sponsors a ton of internal training
    - internal switching around jobs is encouraged- that is awesome
    - management tries to give anonymous surveys and do R2D2 efforts to help the company
    - if you work hard and manage time well, you can get away with regular 40-45 work hours most weeks
    - people willing to help and answer questions

Cons

- very slow.. HR is slow, parts take forever to get ordered.. things to be expected of a larger aerospace company
    - moral is SUPER low currently. Most of my group is depressed with the current job, where the company is headed, and our career opportunities at Loral
    - management doesn't know how to make company more efficient
    - unfortunately we don't get bonuses or raises, although it's a possibility this year
    - company doesnt recognize people too often. If you do well, you get more work even if you are newer to the group
    - performance-based bonus, if given, is based on how many years you've worked at Loral (what sense is this making?)
    - Pay low, benefits keep slipping every half year something major gets cancelled (worsen plan for glasses and PPO medical plan this round..)
    - before major layoffs, severance package is usually worsened
    - no innovation at all - it's unfair to blame the company here, as this is primarily driven by the customer (everyone wants proven parts)

Hire young people from silicon valley - the risk takers, the fast-paced type that work hard and play hard. Don't just fire and re-hire the same contractors that did not do a good job previously.

Take care of the employees working there. We all care about the company and want it to do well, but we need to know you care about us, too.

Good employees, poor management.

I worked at Space Systems/Loral (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees know how to do their jobs efficiently.

Cons

Management and supervisors need to let employees do their jobs.

Same as above

Family and friends operated company.

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

SSL is a highly technical company. Located at the heart of Silicon Valley with great learning experience. Company does provide low cost meals for breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Low salary grade in comparison to other tech company. Low moral with very little career advancement within the company. Promotion is rare unless you know someone higher up.

company is struggling

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great to work with. They are all very intelligent and professional people. Can learn many things about the aerospace industry with this company.

Cons

Crazy work hours, very stressful, poor management, no raise for the past 3-4 years. Company actually hired outside consultants to tell us that we're all overpaid and thus no raises. Many people burn out.

Employee review - SSL

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Challenging work
    Management culture that vales employees' contributions
    Fair compensation

Cons

Up-to-speed orientation / training for new contract employees could be better

Since SSL employs so many contract workers, an orientation package including duties, acronyms, product summary, company culture, unique software, etc. would be valuable. Trial and error is a wasteful way of learning the business, particularly if the contractor's tenure isn't open-ended.

Good place to work.

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse set of responsibilities. Small company feel. Cool aerospace stuff.

Cons

Parking is tough. Morale has been low recently.

Busy with no home life

Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best co workers I have had the pleasure to work with. Everyone is more than happy to help each other out and work as a team. Pay wasn't bad and benefits were great until they cut back on a lot of them last year.

Last I heard they got a lot of new contracts and are trying to change.

Cons

Work life, it is a minimum 6 days a week job and half the people are on salary based pay. There hasn't been a raise in a few years and moving up isn't very easy to do.

Don't treat the employees so bad. Make employees at least feel like there is a reward for working hard.

Best to gain experience here for a resume builder, and seek other opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Lab Tech Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Lab Tech Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting look into the aerospace industry, and chance to travel to other countries. Interesting product development on the "floor". Challenging work environment.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Poor yearly compensations (raises). Poor bonuses distribution. Almost impossible to transfer to other departments for growth purposes, they run "lean" on manpower. Ill-informed management chain.

I feel management is lacking in the honesty and tactfulness department. Perhaps, offer training in those areas for middle management and below? They don't seem to really know what's happening in the company, which is unfortunate. So definitely, an improved channel of communication between employer and employees.

It was fun while it lasted. I received training by Security

Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked their for 8 years. never took a sick day. I was a dedicated employee, i supported all of the Engineering groups for the past seven years. The next thing you know, i manager told me you are being Terminated for doing a great job. Per my manager he told me nobody knows knows how to do my work after four weeks of being terminated.

Cons

i have not received a raise in my eight years. I told them if they want to give me a raise, i will not accept it, i would like for them to donate it to a homeless shelter.

I was under paid in my department. I got laid me off. Now i get a weekly pay check for doing nothing through the end of 2015.. i also get an unemployment check every two weeks, for the next year EDD ending 2015. I also get my Severance package the first week in Jan. 2015. They are also paying for my medical through the end of 2015. I would like to thank SSL for all of their support during these tough times.

Space Systems/Loral Photos