Space Systems/Loral

www.ssloral.com

Space Systems/Loral Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Space Systems/Loral – Sunnyvale – “Streetview of Space Systems/Loral offices in…”

Space Systems/Loral President John Celli

John Celli

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, interesting product (for awhile), some cool people to work with(in 10 reviews)

• Mostly great people to work with, moderately flexible work schedules, stable employment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to advance unless you know someone in upper management(in 6 reviews)

• Located in an area with a high cost of living(in 3 reviews)

wonderful

Prosgood training opportunity, and good cultur

Conslot of bureaucraty and less automation

a good work environment

Prosa good work environment

Conslack of challenging tasks

Senior R&D Engineer

Senior R&D Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsMostly great people to work with, moderately flexible work schedules, stable employment.

ConsLoss of confidence in management direction, reduction of benefits to improve company profitability, morale is stagnant, minimal project team comradery, workload expectation and round-the-clock availability requirement is high vs the increasing gap between the cost of living and compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementMultiple reorganizations have created unnecessary reporting chains. Cut out the middle men and reduce micro-management at various levels. Instill increasing trust in the workforce and offer meaningful praise when objectives are met, on a more consistent and continual basis.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, felt like everyone I met was smart and driven.

Associate Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsIt is challenging and rewarding work. You're apart of systems that are used by millions and millions of people in the world. You're surrounded by intelligent co-workers that seriously know their stuff.

ConsThe compensation isn't as competitive as other companies in the area. The facilities may seem a bit older than other nearby companies. The buildings are spread out and you need to take shuttles to get around.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider looking into younger employees as the company is very senior heavy.

Sr. Mechanical Engineer

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsLearn about the satellite systems and meet many intelligent people. Nice environment to work for.

ConsManagement needs to be updated

Advice to Senior Managementencourage those employees who work hard and get the job done correctly and in a timely manner,

Awful and out-of-touch management

Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsYou can get away with working much less hours here than at other places I have been at.

ConsAWFUL and out-of-touch management, unnecessary layers of middle management, each only concerned with how to make themselves look good. Very poor morale (this is probably somewhat dependent on what department you are in). Different departments care only about themselves rather than working together and can be extremely rude and condescending to each other. I have seen people promoted to positions blatantly not on any merit. Technologically, they are behind the curve, you won't really work on anything "cutting edge" here. If you actually care about trying to make a difference, you will be in the minority here. Glad I moved on.

This company pays you well, and work life balance

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Prosgreat culture, great people, sometimes is pretty laidback, sometimes is pretty busy

Consvery limited opportunity to move up

Old company, hard to make changes, but laid back

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsWork-life balance = good.
    Benefits = average

ConsOld company, hard to make changes. Using old technology: (1)just upgraded to Windows 2010 at year 2013, (2) Just upgraded to new phone system at year 2010, threw away the phones from 50 years ago - all yellow and no screen display, etc.
    Not open to innovative ideas. Raises are very low (Top performer only gets 3%!!!) Don't care much about employees (doesn't provide basic things such as water, coffee, snacks). Took away sick/personal days last year, now we only get 10 days a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to listen to employee opinions. Time to upgrade business model and marketing strategy so we can become more profitable. Time to provide water and coffee.

Interesting technical work, great flexibility, demanding work load

Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsVery interesting technical work. May not be as glamorous as Google or Apple, but if you were truly interested in technology that provides tangible benefits to the world, then this type of infrastructure work is actually very rewarding.

ConsExtremely heavy workload. Schedules are very aggressive and tight and a lot of work is done in parallel. Obviously the problem with doing work in parallel is sometimes the results of the analysis doesn't correlate well to the design and the design has to be restarted from scratch.

Good people, bad company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFun co-workers. Good work/life balance.

ConsNo innovation. No personal growth. Poor management at all levels from lower to upper. Management does a very poor job with planning for highs and lows in staffing needs. Employees end up being overworked in busy times, a lag in hiring occurs, finally sufficient hiring is done, but it is too late and layoffs occur.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more consideration of employee needs and concerns. Address issues with low moral throughout company.

Worked for Space Systems/Loral? Contribute to the Community!