Space Systems/Loral

Updated December 21, 2014
2.5

Space Systems/Loral President John Celli
John Celli

Pros
  • Ever since I've been with the company the work life balance has been great (in 12 reviews)

• great culture, great people, sometimes is pretty laidback, sometimes is pretty busy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of touch upper management with lots of redundant layers (in 8 reviews)

• work/life balance tends to be unbalanced due to fast paced schedules (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Employee review - SSL

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    Challenging work
    Management culture that vales employees' contributions
    Fair compensation

Cons

Up-to-speed orientation / training for new contract employees could be better

Since SSL employs so many contract workers, an orientation package including duties, acronyms, product summary, company culture, unique software, etc. would be valuable. Trial and error is a wasteful way of learning the business, particularly if the contractor's tenure isn't open-ended.

Good place to work.

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse set of responsibilities. Small company feel. Cool aerospace stuff.

Cons

Parking is tough. Morale has been low recently.

Assistant Engineer, ability to help other technicians with tuning filters and taking over their units that could not be

Former Employee - Assistant Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Assisting technicians with problem units, did everything asked of me and more. Good benefits.

Cons

Technicians worked well together, too much interference from management to produce.
    I was removed from my job without fair warning and not listening to why I was not productive as they thought I should be. I was always tuning on units that the techs could not get to work.

Remove yourselfs from interfering with technicians and let them do their job.

Busy with no home life

Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best co workers I have had the pleasure to work with. Everyone is more than happy to help each other out and work as a team. Pay wasn't bad and benefits were great until they cut back on a lot of them last year.

Last I heard they got a lot of new contracts and are trying to change.

Cons

Work life, it is a minimum 6 days a week job and half the people are on salary based pay. There hasn't been a raise in a few years and moving up isn't very easy to do.

Don't treat the employees so bad. Make employees at least feel like there is a reward for working hard.

It was fun while it lasted. I received training by Security

Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked their for 8 years. never took a sick day. I was a dedicated employee, i supported all of the Engineering groups for the past seven years. The next thing you know, i manager told me you are being Terminated for doing a great job. Per my manager he told me nobody knows knows how to do my work after four weeks of being terminated.

Cons

i have not received a raise in my eight years. I told them if they want to give me a raise, i will not accept it, i would like for them to donate it to a homeless shelter.

I was under paid in my department. I got laid me off. Now i get a weekly pay check for doing nothing through the end of 2015.. i also get an unemployment check every two weeks, for the next year EDD ending 2015. I also get my Severance package the first week in Jan. 2015. They are also paying for my medical through the end of 2015. I would like to thank SSL for all of their support during these tough times.

Best to gain experience here for a resume builder, and seek other opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Lab Tech Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Lab Tech Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting look into the aerospace industry, and chance to travel to other countries. Interesting product development on the "floor". Challenging work environment.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Poor yearly compensations (raises). Poor bonuses distribution. Almost impossible to transfer to other departments for growth purposes, they run "lean" on manpower. Ill-informed management chain.

I feel management is lacking in the honesty and tactfulness department. Perhaps, offer training in those areas for middle management and below? They don't seem to really know what's happening in the company, which is unfortunate. So definitely, an improved channel of communication between employer and employees.

Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time

Pros

Cool stuff to work with

Cons

Top level has Poor Management skills

Be open to change!

Great people and good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started here right after college and they've provided me with all types of opportunities including traveling, promotions and yearly bonuses. It's great to be a part of a place that's making a difference in the world. It's always exciting to see the satellites that you work on get launched. The people that I work with are nice and helpful. They're appreciative of the work I do and express it. Everyone is really friendly and I've made a lot of friends here over the years. Overall, the benefits are pretty awesome for health, tuition, vaca, sick days, fitness and so on.

Cons

Morale can be low at times

Work on boosting company morale and encourage employees to grow

Low Moral

Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Place to work. Real "old school" engineering company who values collaboration, integrity, and do it right the first time. This type of company built the foundation of good engineers.

Cons

No raises or bonus for the past two years, even though business is good. 2014 is a record winning contract award year. Talented people are leaving in droves, company laying off wrong people frequently.

Reward the workers ASAP or there will be a massive exodus.

Save yourself, the company is terrible.

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I guess the coffee is free. That's good enough right?

Cons

-The good workers get rewarded with more work and the bad ones get promoted out of the group. I thought they were trying to load me up to make my life miserable so I'd quit but was told in the last review that I was valuable to the company. Go figure.
    -A great raise here is about 3% of your salary. They will make you feel like it was an ordeal just to ask for it on your behalf.
    -Just had a recent reorg and the directors were "demoted". I guess that's what management calls same pay with less responsibility.
    -If you've decided to work here after reading this, just pray that you're one of their favorites. FYI being a hard worker does not make you a favorite.

You're not going to read this anyway otherwise you wouldn't have told everyone how good of job you're doing in our last all hands.

Space Systems/Loral Photos