Space Systems/Loral

Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Space Systems/Loral President John Celli
John Celli

Pros
  • Ever since I've been with the company the work life balance has been great (in 12 reviews)

• great culture, great people, sometimes is pretty laidback, sometimes is pretty busy (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Out of touch upper management with lots of redundant layers (in 8 reviews)

• work/life balance tends to be unbalanced due to fast paced schedules (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Falling Apart

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The flexibility this company provides is the best thing here. This place is great for a working parent who needs to change their schedule to take care of their family. There are plenty of shifts that you can switch to. The hours are of the norm but you can do an early shift if you would prefer to skip the traffic. The people here are friendly and full of knowledge.

There are tons of different activities to join. From softball, bowling, golf, cycling, and even zumba.

Cons

They are super cheap. There has been no raises in the past two years. With lay offs every year, they tell their employees that there will probably be no raises in the next two years. Promotions are hard to come by and if you do get promoted, don't expect any compensation for the increase in responsibility.

Harassment is common and embarrassing employees in front of their piers are even more common. There is a condescending slave driving mentality in some management who ride their high horse pretty darn hard. If you bring anything up to HR, know that you will have consequences to come for bringing it up. Politics run wild here. And you never know who is married to who or who your manager is golfing with. Watch what you say and who you say it to. Every one is for themselves here.

Show that you appreciate your employees. Don't lie to them either. Telling them that they will be compensated for their work means actually doing something about it. Don't raise your voice at your employees when you think they are doing something wrong, instead ask them how you can help to teach them to do it right. Being condescending does not help any situation.

Formal training. You can not expect your employees to run without learning how to crawl and walk first.

Grateful for my experience but there is way better out there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good people here. It provided good hands on experience and there is alot of work to go around (when there are awards). I got to travel often, and that was a plus.

Cons

Managers don't treat employees well. The schedule is king and everyone feels pressure everyday. Harassment is normal and if you make a mistake don't be surprised if you get embarrassed in front of your peers. When it is busy the workload is way too much for one person to handle. This company doesn't mind if you work 15 hours a day. They call it casual overtime.

Hoping for a bright future...

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time

Pros

-Ever since I've been with the company the work life balance has been great.
    -I've had good Managers that let me get the job done, didn't micro manage.
    -Like the people that I work with on my satellite programs. Easy people to get a long with and have built many friendships/connection within SSL.
    -I really like the industry that I work in, it's very interesting a not a lot of people do what I do.
    -Good company to get your first professional job and experience out of college.

Cons

Things have really started to change ever since the sale to MDA. I don't know how they didn't notice we weren't a company that made huge profits and they've been expecting that from the beginning. No raises in the last two years pretty much company wide and been taking away benefits since MDA took over. Layoffs are always rumored and there was actually a 2% reduction today! I don't understand the re-organizations that have been going on the last 2-3 years. I don't even know if they've helped anything. Seem like they've just added more layers of management and it doesn't makes sense to me.

A lot of talk within the workforce of the state of the company. Company wide Coffee/Tea became available for the first time recent for free but I personally think it's just smoke and mirrors and think it will hide the fact that morale is low. I've personally seen many friends leave the company within the last couple of months to other companies with better benefits and more pay. There is an exodus of workers occurring right now, whether it be involuntarily or people finding a better place to go.

Whatever team is negotiating contracts for satellites are doing a terrible job. We're under bidding, making promises we can't meet in our contracts and building satellites with a further loss because of requirement creep that we're allowing with difficult customers.

I hope SSL can turn things around because things might turn really depressing soon.

-Look into if all these re-orgs are actually helping things or just adding layers of un-necessary oversight.
    -Take care of your valued workers because we don't think you are. Believe me, we're all looking for greener pastures and are secretly interviewing at other places.
    -Those celebrations every time we win an award are lame. I've never been to one and am more motivated by what appears on my paycheck...which these events take away from.

Turbulence ahead, fasten seat belt sign is on

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time

Pros

Environment is great, coworkers are easy to get along with. Middle management is cut out already in my group and faster to get things done.

Cons

Company is going through an overhaul to align with industry business. Will be rough to work here for the next few years. Proceed with caution.

Find leadership with a clear vision for this company and establish the clear vision with everyone. No more beating around the bush.

Senior R&D Engineer

Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior R&D Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mostly great people to work with, moderately flexible work schedules, stable employment.

Cons

Loss of confidence in management direction, reduction of benefits to improve company profitability, morale is stagnant, minimal project team comradery, workload expectation and round-the-clock availability requirement is high vs the increasing gap between the cost of living and compensation.

Multiple reorganizations have created unnecessary reporting chains. Cut out the middle men and reduce micro-management at various levels. Instill increasing trust in the workforce and offer meaningful praise when objectives are met, on a more consistent and continual basis.

wonderful

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good training opportunity, and good cultur

Cons

lot of bureaucraty and less automation

don't be so cheap!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company seems to be picking enough contracts to stay productive, so some sectors of the company are relatively stable.

Cons

The company is serious cost-savings mode. Salaries are completely unreasonable for the area, there is no way a company can consider offering experienced graduates salaries in the low 60k. Such offers might be in some way acceptable if there were bonuses or some other perks to keep talent, but no one is receiving bonuses or raises of any sort.

If you want new talent to stay around, you might want to invest a little more in what you have to offer.

Could be better

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

The final product is hard to top of any industry.

Cons

Hard to climb the ladder, management needs improvement

Be the best advocates to your personnel. Learn to lead.

a good work environment

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

a good work environment

Cons

lack of challenging tasks

Company was good to work for prior to MDA buyout. There is no loyalty for the employes by Upper Management.

Former Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary, decent work, good reputation in satellite industry. Some opportunities. Interesting product space is awsome.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, 4 levels for approvals for mundane daily tasks. Management does not listen to employees but, continues to hire consultants. Losing people who built the company. No raises and lowering benefits while competing for talent with other Bay Area companies in a changing upwards economy. HR has been weak or criminal for years with many VPs and high turn over. Losing the things that made SSL great and the number 1 commercial spacecraft builder in the world. On a mission to hire young inexperienced workers at lower rates to reduce costs, losing older experienced workforce and forcing retirements or laying off due to age.

Upper Management from CEO to all VP's retire or leave before you take the company to a second chapter 11. Respect your workforce and help them by being a real leader not just a financial bean counter. Push back on MDA or leave

Space Systems/Loral Photos