Space Systems/Loral

www.sslmda.com
Profile Unclaimed

downward spiral with no hope of improvement in sight

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-The company has some decent benefits such as vacation, decent 6% 401k match and also occasionally interesting chance to meet people through the aerospace lunchtime lectures/networking opportunities.

Cons

Company had another layoff today with 50 people being let go, this layoff process has been ongoing since this summer.

The con list is large for the company
    -Old engineer mafia that is afraid of change and innovation, this mafia believes Not Invented Here syndrome is a good thing
    -Increasingly toxic and depressing corporate culture due to the current downsizing/cost cutting phase being push by MDA
    -not enough capital or human investment to improve the products or reduce production costs over time
    -Out of touch upper management with lots of redundant layers
    -no good perks and other extras which contrasts poorly to the better atmosphere found at nearby SV companies
    -Cost cutting also means no pay raises and also the benefits recently changed again to high deductible health insurance plans

Stop treating the employees like dirt, you tell us all the time about how the employee is needed to reform, change and improve the company so it doesn't go under, while at the same time creating a completely deplorable work environment.

Good company culture and employees in the foundation of a successful company

Uncontrolled reentry

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work on spacecraft. Some employees are incredibly well learned and its a pleasure to work with them. (Of course, for the majority, this is not the case)

Cons

> Management fires good employees, seemingly at random, while people who do not do their job and cost the company a lot of money are allowed to stay
    > working hard, going the extra mile, doing a great job is rewarded with more work, more responsibility, and decreases in compensation. In other words, absolutely no respect for employees.
    > below average pay for the aerospace industry
    > awful pay for the Bay Area
    > pathetic bonus, which is often not given and has continued to decrease over the years with a confusing bonus system that doesn't make any sense
    > benefits have been cut 2 to 4 times a year over the past two years
    > understaffed departments along with the previously mentioned random cutting/layoffs mean the work life balance is drastically shifting to the work side
    > clueless upper management
    > powerless middle management
    > management makes decision with no regard or consultation with employees for how the decisions will impact teams
    > management thinks a pat on the back every now and then will make up for all of the above cuts
    > moral is at an all time low
    > constant reorganization of the company which seemingly have no impact other than to waste more money in upper management
    > absolutely no real direction as to the future of the company, lots of talking points and buzzwords but no actual content or clear path to the future. Discussing your concern with management will simply result in the same talking points being regurgitated
    > no accountability
    > backstabbing common by the previously mentioned awful employees
    > politics are WILD and I mean WILD.

This used to be an amazing place to work overall. It's amazing how much has changed since the MDA takeover.

Quit. You're living in the 60s and allowing compensation levels of the 80s for a high tech company in 2014. Everything you are doing is hidden in a shroud from the actual contributors.

There is a reason moral is so low: You.

More layoffs last week

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ship is sinking
    They are hiring lots of junior job seekers

Cons

Upper MGT does not have a clue what to do

Quit in the face of impending disaster

I have been there 20 years, but am ready to move on

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very interesting work and industry sector

Cons

still somewhat corporate/stagnant culture, although trying to improve

Increase awareness of the many sectors of the company-sales, marketing, engineering design, R+D, manufacturing, Software, etc.

Amazing people, but company going through some challenges

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest folks in the space industry if not in the Bay Area. All work is done in small teams. There is very little politics. The product (which is a spacecraft) is incredibly cool, and it's amazing to be able to work at one of only a handful of spacecraft manufacturers that exist in the world. There is tremendous flexibility to work on different projects. The people working at this company are mostly very nice and good human beings. (I know this sounds corny, but this is not always the case, and it's important that the company promotes this kind of culture.)

Vacation, sick days, 401(k) match, and other benefits are excellent. They are being cut back, but they are still way above par for the Bay Area. The company also pays for business class travel for international travel for all employees, not just senior management.

Cons

The company is going through a lot of changes related to profitability challenges. There is lots of work, but the work being brought in has negative profit margins. The upside is that this has stimulated the company to think of new ways of doing business. That's in the long term. The downside in the short term is that there is an emphasis on cutting costs. This also means no raises for the last two years. Last year there was also no bonus.

There are very few perks. Free coffee and tea was just introduced a couple months ago. There is still no free filtered/bottled water. The cafeteria food is rather subpar and will probably never change for the better. Don't even think about the company ever having free food or even subsidized cafeteria food.

All decision making is routed up the chain to the top. Frequently truly trivial decisions have to be made by the CEO because all other management up the chain is afraid to make the decision and put their neck on the line. The company is talking about changing that, but so far it's been all lip service because this is a deeply entrenched part of the company culture. Example: all cell phone requests, even requests to have the mobile email application installed on one's personal device, have to be routed for signature to the employee's manager, then executive director, then the VP of the organization, and then the VP of IT. Does something so trivial really require so many signatures?

Most of the senior management probably ought to leave/retire for the company to be able to turn the page and return to its glory days. This is the only way to change the culture and re-energize the company.

Probably won't be your dream job, might be your nightmare.

I worked at Space Systems/Loral

Pros

Some nice, friendly people work there.
    Hiring process is quick and easy.
    Decent benefits which start on Day 1.
    Free hot beverages.

Cons

Training, Health and especially Safety not a priority.
    Lack of planning and leadership ensures maximum worker distress.
    Many unhappy employees practicing the 80/20 Rule. 80% Whining and Backstabbing 20% Working.

Create some management oversight . Conduct safety audits often . Include feedback from subordinates in manager review process.

Extremely formalized bureaucratic company. Very incompetent management

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Specialist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is quite simple to sit and do nothing given you hit the right spot in the company. (Assuming it's OK with you) This could explain a significant portion of positive reviews. If you do not mind sitting and pressing keyboard buttons strictly following instructions that sometimes do not make any sense - it's place for you.

Cons

If you think your job should be a bit more than cutting sugar cane 40+ hours a week to make a descent living consider other places. Also if you are highly skilled in politics you may have a chance.

Please retire. You are wrong people in the wrong place.

Twenty years behind the times

Current Employee - A Senior Engineering Role in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - A Senior Engineering Role in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is certainly subjective, but for me I think the only benefit was a steady paycheck while I continued to take interviews and to soul-search on what career path to follow moving forward.

Since I was looking for a job from the moment I started at SSL, this review may not be fair. But truthfully, I went in with the desire to really contribute something and do a good job for SSL, and I wanted to make it worth their while and give them something I could be proud of.

Interestingly, a colleague of mine at SSL once told me that she thought SSL is a place that people end up when they don't know what else to do...essentially also saying that she was just working for a paycheck.

Cons

In my experience, the company just wants to put bodies in front of computers.

When I interviewed at SSL, I was very specific about what I thought I could offer, what my level of commitment would be, and what my interests were...essentially putting an offer at risk in the process. I realized pretty early on that they didn't really listen to any of that.

I didn't see any real effort put into career development at SSL, but in fairness that may have just been my group. SSL is very good at its core business, but falls on its face whenever it tries to extend beyond that.

The company will survive as long as people want to buy GEO transponders, and hopefully longer, but they will have to learn how to innovate. When SSL has a bad year, it is quickly passed down to its employees, and it doesn't take much to have a bad year when so few GEO satellites are built per year.

Another big negative, in my opinion, is the overtime expectation is utterly incommensurate with any benefits offered by the company...including the salary. My time is worth something to me, and I'm not going to burn overtime hours at SSL when there is simply no quid pro quo in the deal.

Management are in a bind when it comes to the prospect of implementing any meaningful and positive change at SSL without making significant changes to their corporate strategy. If the company's business model continues to depend entirely on very large GEO transponders (essentially), then margins will continue to be small, salaries and benefits will continue to be poor, and most really good engineers will go elsewhere. Currently, SSL can't even come close to competing with the Googles, Facebooks, LinkedIns, or even with the Skyboxes of Silicon Valley.

SSL should probably pull up stakes and move to a cheaper part of the country, so what SSL can afford to pay their people will actually allow those people to buy a house near where they work, if they so choose. Maybe they should time this with the next Chapter 11 filing and/or re-amortization of major assets.

Sr. Mechanical /engineer

Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Mechanical Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for if they get awarded with satellites

Cons

Periodic Layoffs when no satellite to manufacture.

Lost in Space

I have been working at Space Systems/Loral full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have great employees who really care about each other and who want to work for a Company that cares about them.

Cons

This used to be a great Company - family feel with lots of caring about the employee, the product, the culture, the community. That's no longer the case. The morale is so low, everyone is depressed. No raises for years and rumors of nothing coming down the pike.

Don't change just for the SAKE of change.

Space Systems/Loral Photos